JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Metal or Polymer magazine

• Metal magazine

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Polymer magazine

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 28.9%

• Total voters
Reactions
SO I am wondering why some people go with Metal over Polymer or Polymer over Metal magazines.
upload_2017-4-13_12-57-24.png

Polymer doesn't rattle and make that "tinging" sound when empty and or dropped. I have both and prefer the polymer.
Also when shooting in wet/cold conditions with gloves a stippled "PMAG" is hands down superior to the standard "STANAG"!;)

I'm old enough (just barely, of course) to remember the days before the word 'polymer' was popular. In those days, plastic was the word. Plastics have come a long way, but to me they're still 'plastic'.

Plastic guns were toys - cap guns and squirt guns - and that association is still strong for me. When I pick up a plastic gun at the gun shop and dry fire the thing, it reminds me of a squirt gun. Completely different experience when handling an all-metal gun.

I do have a plastic handgun, and love it now that I'm used to it. Fortunately, when it's fully loaded, the added weight gives it a different feel. Nice and solid.

Same thing applies to the magazines. An empty plastic mag makes me think of the G.I. Joe toys that were around when I was a kid. Once they're loaded, it's better - but still not as good as a hunka iron in my fist.

The other aspect of this is durability. If I take care of my 'wood and steel' guns, they'll be around for my great-grandchildren to use. But I don't have much confidence that a plastic gun will still be functioning after 100 years, even if it's well cared for.

So I vote for steel. But I'll use plastic if need be.

DSC05463.jpg
What is this "Polymer" or "magazine" you all are speaking of?...:eek::p:D
Just kidding... ( sort of )

I too associate plastic ( polymer ) with toys and toy guns.
I know , I know , the AR 15 design is 60 odd years old and you should never mistake a real gun for a toy gun.
I also know that the plastic of today has come a long way from the plastic of my youth...
But it just doesn't hold a near and dear place in my heart as does wood and steel. ( or brass )
Andy

I have both I hear people say they would never use polymer OR pmags but I never had a problem with them I just buy what is on sale lol last I checked I had 60 Pmags and 20 metal ones and still looking for more also have 8 metal AK MAGS and and 20polymer AK mags

I use pmags. I know them and trust them.
I know they won't fail or break through regular use.

Metal to me means rust. Even though I doubt the metal mags will, I like the feel and use a the pmags.

However, if I didn't have or could use pmags I would buy metal ones.
Imve use other plastic/polymer mags and they were junk.

View attachment 356390
What is this "Polymer" or "magazine" you all are speaking of?...:eek::p:D
Just kidding... ( sort of )

I too associate plastic ( polymer ) with toys and toy guns.
I know , I know , the AR 15 design is 60 odd years old and you should never mistake a real gun for a toy gun.
I also know that the plastic of today has come a long way from the plastic of my youth...
But it just doesn't hold a near and dear place in my heart as does wood and steel. ( or brass )
Andy
Any reason to show off that nice collection,huh Andy?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top