JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Metal or Polymer magazine

• Metal magazine

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Polymer magazine

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 28.9%

• Total voters
Polymer doesn't rattle and make that "tinging" sound when empty and or dropped. I have both and prefer the polymer.
Also when shooting in wet/cold conditions with gloves a stippled "PMAG" is hands down superior to the standard "STANAG"!;)

That's why I like the USGI mags because when they hit the ground I can actually hear them hit but not the plasti-mags.:D

Battlefield Las Vegas, a high volume machine gun rental has this to say:
"USGI mags have outlasted all of the other brands. We use UGSI (Brownell's with tan follower) and on a mag for mag basis, they have outlasted Pmags and a few of the other mags that we get from mfg's with new weapons. We don't have to worry about various generations with different weapons like the MR556, SCAR, F2000, Tavor or a couple of others that use AR15/M4 magazines."
AR endurance findings, at a rental range - The Firearm Blog

Other considerations are:
  • USGI mags fit and function in all 5.56 NATO systems. Pmags are now in their 3rd generation fixing compatibility problems.
  • USGI mags are lighter
  • USGI mags are smaller and fit better into most pouches
  • USGI mags are cheaper
Polymer mags have the advantage of being able to flex without permanently bending

So, while I've been very happy with my Pmags from this point on it's Brownell's tan follower USGI. Not throwing away my Pmags, though...

EDIT: I came a second away from accidentally posting this in an audio and music forum... would have been fun as the many of folks there lean waaaaay to the left.

They are shorter and use the anti tilt followers. No silly storage cap. IMG_20170414_152340.jpg
IMG_20170414_152340.jpg

Most are brand new some still in the bag never been loaded lol like I said I buy when they on sale I know I have over 80 AR 15 MAGS the Flat dark earth are for my 300 black out got to keep them separate by color. Don't want to put 300 in a5.56 or vise versa

I think it depends on the Firearm, I love the SKS anyone that knows me knows this.
But they have been around along time and tolerances vary, the polymer are way more forgiving in the SKS then metal. I find in AK Variants the same, but the SKS its more noticeable. A steel that will fit in a Norinco with no filing and will and often does take allot of work for fitting in the Yugo and the reverse can be said depending on who makes them, but most times its as I said, wait what I say again. Its Friday sue me.
For a Pistol Steel all the way always work I find more polymer issues in pistols then rifles.
But the SKS I find polymers why do not look as cool as steel tend to work better.

But what do I know. :rolleyes:

I think it depends on the Firearm, I love the SKS anyone that knows me knows this.
But they have been around along time and tolerances vary, the polymer are way more forgiving in the SKS then metal. I find in AK Variants the same, but the SKS its more noticeable. A steel that will fit in a Norinco with no filing and will and often does take allot of work for fitting in the Yugo and the reverse can be said depending on who makes them, but most times its as I said, wait what I say again. Its Friday sue me.
For a Pistol Steel all the way always work I find more polymer issues in pistols then rifles.
But the SKS I find polymers why do not look as cool as steel tend to work better.

But what do I know. :rolleyes:
I don't know about SKS but my AK I had to file the little catch part that the release catches on my polymer Mag's I could get them in with out file but had to pull hard on them to get that latch to click and hold it in the gun but all my metal AK mags fit with out file I have magpul polymer mags and tapco intrafuse AK mags and polish metal one 's and a few other metal ones I picked up at pawn shop and garage sales LOL IT'S FUNNY WHERE YOU WILL FIND AK MAGS

A little WD40 and the old rusty metal Mag's work lol I saw a video of a guy in Africa that found a bunch of guns and ammo that had been in a hole under a pile of rocks for 25 year's he pulled a AK out and cleaned the dirt of dumped some motor oil on it worked the bolt a few times put a Mag in it and it fire's a few times jams he racks it two times and it fire's again lol I SWEAR HE DUMPS QUAKER STATE 40WT ON IT LOL

Metal mags

They slide in and out of firearms, jean pockets, and magazine carriers easier.

Polymer ones look good on the range and on Youtube. In reality, metal ones are the ones that you want if you're serious about using a firearm for something other than a gunpowder driven golf club.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top