JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Metal or Polymer magazine

• Metal magazine

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Polymer magazine

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 28.9%

• Total voters
Reactions
SO I am wondering why some people go with Metal over Polymer or Polymer over Metal magazines.
upload_2017-4-13_12-57-24.png

Polymer doesn't rattle and make that "tinging" sound when empty and or dropped. I have both and prefer the polymer.
Also when shooting in wet/cold conditions with gloves a stippled "PMAG" is hands down superior to the standard "STANAG"!;)

I'm old enough (just barely, of course) to remember the days before the word 'polymer' was popular. In those days, plastic was the word. Plastics have come a long way, but to me they're still 'plastic'.

Plastic guns were toys - cap guns and squirt guns - and that association is still strong for me. When I pick up a plastic gun at the gun shop and dry fire the thing, it reminds me of a squirt gun. Completely different experience when handling an all-metal gun.

I do have a plastic handgun, and love it now that I'm used to it. Fortunately, when it's fully loaded, the added weight gives it a different feel. Nice and solid.

Same thing applies to the magazines. An empty plastic mag makes me think of the G.I. Joe toys that were around when I was a kid. Once they're loaded, it's better - but still not as good as a hunka iron in my fist.

The other aspect of this is durability. If I take care of my 'wood and steel' guns, they'll be around for my great-grandchildren to use. But I don't have much confidence that a plastic gun will still be functioning after 100 years, even if it's well cared for.

So I vote for steel. But I'll use plastic if need be.

DSC05463.jpg
What is this "Polymer" or "magazine" you all are speaking of?...:eek::p:D
Just kidding... ( sort of )

I too associate plastic ( polymer ) with toys and toy guns.
I know , I know , the AR 15 design is 60 odd years old and you should never mistake a real gun for a toy gun.
I also know that the plastic of today has come a long way from the plastic of my youth...
But it just doesn't hold a near and dear place in my heart as does wood and steel. ( or brass )
Andy

I have both I hear people say they would never use polymer OR pmags but I never had a problem with them I just buy what is on sale lol last I checked I had 60 Pmags and 20 metal ones and still looking for more also have 8 metal AK MAGS and and 20polymer AK mags

I use pmags. I know them and trust them.
I know they won't fail or break through regular use.

Metal to me means rust. Even though I doubt the metal mags will, I like the feel and use a the pmags.

However, if I didn't have or could use pmags I would buy metal ones.
Imve use other plastic/polymer mags and they were junk.

View attachment 356390
What is this "Polymer" or "magazine" you all are speaking of?...:eek::p:D
Just kidding... ( sort of )

I too associate plastic ( polymer ) with toys and toy guns.
I know , I know , the AR 15 design is 60 odd years old and you should never mistake a real gun for a toy gun.
I also know that the plastic of today has come a long way from the plastic of my youth...
But it just doesn't hold a near and dear place in my heart as does wood and steel. ( or brass )
Andy
Any reason to show off that nice collection,huh Andy?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top