JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looks like someone shot them 38S&W bored out to take 38special.
Fired in oversized chamber. WW2 export .38/200 "Rebored In Australia," those were the markings. Or similar.

I've got a single shot .44 Magnum rifle with an oversized chamber that does that. When the cases get bulged out far enough, I wonder at their integrity. I've taken the L shaped paper clip tool to see if I can detect any incipient case head failure, so far I haven't.

What say Ye?
ye.jpg

Fired in oversized chamber. WW2 export .38/200 "Rebored In Australia," those were the markings. Or similar.

I've got a single shot .44 Magnum rifle with an oversized chamber that does that. When the cases get bulged out far enough, I wonder at their integrity. I've taken the L shaped paper clip tool to see if I can detect any incipient case head failure, so far I haven't.
I once owned a .38 M10 originally bored in .38-200 bored out to take .38special. New Zealand marked. Did the bulgy thing with the brass, but I did reload some of it and shoot it no problem. Kept the loads on the low-end just cuz. Sold it cheap to a bro-in-law who wanted a pistol, after 'splainin it to him.

All right, I drag my bubblegum off the couch, Lord was that a chore and I put the calipers on these funky cases. I'm tired of writing so I'll just show pics and let y'all decide just what the hay is going on.
It does appear that they were definitely not shot out of a 38/357 caliber pistol.
After a quick resize they appear to be rehabilitated to the correct measurements.
Who knew???

View attachment 1457240 View attachment 1457241 View attachment 1457244
Interesting that my .351wsl does that to my converted .357 cases, but not so severely. Odd that the .351 has a looser chamber than a .357 right? I don't load them super hot. I don't want to beat the buffer to death, parts are hard to find and replace. I usually get 5 to 6 reloads out of my conversions before split happens. It's rough on brass.

While I was depriming them I did notice many of the primers had no resistance pushing out so I believe these are going to be used for earring jewelry instead of putting them back into a handgun. Sloppy seconds comes to mind.
Speaking of, thought you might like to see what you inspired if you're the guy who posted about making casehead earrings several years ago... I gave this pair to my FFL at her "thanks for the memories" BBQ this morning, and she loves them.

image.png

Speaking of, thought you might like to see what you inspired if you're the guy who posted about making casehead earrings several years ago... I gave this pair to my FFL at her "thanks for the memories" BBQ this morning, and she loves them.

View attachment 1457689
Can you make those in cufflinks? Or a tie tack?

Can you make those in cufflinks? Or a tie tack?
Could, if I can find kits for 'em to mount the caseheads on. Once my 1911 build starts test-firing, I'm already making a list of who gets souvenirs made from the first rounds through it... though .450 SMC is kinda expensive to fire once then scrap. Could probably do the tie-tack with just a single earring post and a large back.

I'm not taking commercial orders; one, I'm hamstrung by a lack of supply chain on scrap brass, and two, as I like to say, "special efforts are for special people." (IE, friends, family/SO's thereof, folks who've assisted with projects...)

I'm not taking commercial orders; one, I'm hamstrung by a lack of supply chain on scrap brass, and two, as I like to say, "special efforts are for special people." (IE, friends, family/SO's thereof, folks who've assisted with projects...)
So I'm not special? Well, wait'll I tell all those asshats back in high school that differ with your opinion of me! That'll learn 'em! :)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews