JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
welp, lost our solar panels (water heater type for the pool). probably not the smartest thing that I went up on the roof with a sawzall to cut them off. luckily only bent some flashing on the chimney.

Blowing and raining really hard here on the island. Boss had me shut down the office and we turned of all the computers. Tomorrow (Saturday's blow) sounds like it'll smack us pretty good.
Fortunately all my recent orders for fun things have arrived, except for more BBs in a couple of calendars.

Brutus Out

Good news! Average wind today (Friday) is 7mph, currently 12, peaks at 17 in the last hour and 24 sometime earlier.

Why's this good news? The high forecast for tomorrow (Saturday) was 36mph at PDX. Now it's estimated to reach only 24.

For those of us with rain saturated soil and really huge trees near our homes, that's encouraging. Maybe I won't feel compelled to sleep in the basement after all.

Co-worker (with a tree down in his yard already) had a good idea today. Rather than alarm his young daughter by "hiding" downstairs, they're planning a family campout! I think that's cool.

wind.JPG

KPDX 142320Z 1500/1524 20012G20KT P6SM -SHRA SCT030 BKN050
FM150700 16009KT P6SM -RA SCT030 OVC050
FM151200 13012KT P6SM -RA OVC030
FM151700 11015G22KT P6SM -SHRA SCT030 BKN050
FM152300 17023G35KT P6SM -SHRA BKN050

Actually the forecast high tomorrow is for gusts up to 35 knots, which is about 40 mph. Strong, sure, but not nearly strong enough to support all the hype I've been hearing. Damage will happen, but it's hardly the biggest Oregon has ever seen.

Actually the forecast high tomorrow is for gusts up to 35 knots, which is about 40 mph. Strong, sure, but not nearly strong enough to support all the hype I've been hearing. Damage will happen, but it's hardly the biggest Oregon has ever seen.

Makes sense. Maybe the forecasts I was perusing were showing averages, not gusts. Kinda like what I was seeing on my twirly wind thingie. Either way, the 3 sources I cited this evening are all predicting significantly lower (by 10-12kt) than they were this morning, which is good news in my world. Won't be any RC planes for at least a few more days.

I figure we need to keep a good crop of full grown squirrels nearby, just in case. Once that storm hits, we could be without food and power for a whole day! We'll need something to eat, and may just have to start hunting those little buggers.
Dude, I'm on a six thousand calorie a day (3k of it meat alone; rest of the year tapers down to 3000/2k protein) diet for the winter, and I can still get by skipping a day or three... :p

So far it seems to be quiet around my foothills lair (a few branches down but nothing serious as of yesterday afternoon), but I'm still bunkered-up at a hotel so I can ensure normal business operations continue uninterrupted.

Supposed to hit in an hour or two.

Nothing here (Chehalem) so far, just some rain last night. Had a bit of wind Thu. into Fri., but nothing I haven't seen before here. I did lose power for a second last night and the lights have flickered several times, but that is normal here.

I am on the lee side of the mountain so even if there is a bit of wind I don't expect too much.

This revised forecast for average wind today is 12 mph lower than what was being forecast 24 hours ago for the same time this afternoon. As an air traffic controller last century, my co-workers and I called our aerographers "weather guessers." I hope they're right with this one.

pdx wind forecast.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top