JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Fill up your gas tanks, keep some duct tape and clear plastic hand handy and recharge yer batteries. It's out there, and everyone is saying it will be wet, but one forcaster is suggesting that the bulk of the storm is likely to hit us and will be the biggest storm that Oregon has ever seen. That's right, "ever seen". Bigger than the Columbus day storm in 62 that killed 44 people. Noaa isn't predicting it, but then again, a week before they called for clear sunny weather just last sunday where it rained a couple inches. They revised that several times as it got closer.

Cliff Mass Weather Blog

"A true monster storm, potentially as strong as the most powerful storm in NW history (the Columbus Day Storm of 1962) will be approaching our area on Saturday. The UW WRF sea level pressure forecast for 5 AM Saturday morning shows the approaching cyclone. The central pressure is an amazing 961 mb, with an unbelievably strong pressure gradient around it."

The cavet is that it may stay a tad off shore and all we get is just some normal bad nasty weather. Let's hope. With luck we'll be laughing this off next week. Anyway, heads up.

Meh.

I went through the '62 storm - I was 8 years old. I survived.

I've been through a few storms since too.

Our weather guys today are a lot better than they were 44 years ago. I don't think that we will have a "massive" storm this weekend. It will get a bit windy in Seattle, but just breezy here.

We'll be hunkering down out here on the coast. Hoping this monster stays north, but still going to get a whole lot of wind and rain, especially Saturday. Got off work yesterday and did the usual fuel and grocery check, and a trip to the station and store. Kero lamps, batteries and flashlights, whiskey.... check. Plenty of firewood,propane, white gas, bottled water, and moon floss on hand. Generators and chainsaws checked for function. Bring it!

Like most PNW weather, it is coming out of the SW. I live on the north side of the mountain, down from the crest, so probably won't get too much wind.

Bandon may get some good winds - they usually do. Seattle probably will too. I used to live there - lost the upper half of a tree once - it fell on the neighbors fence instead of my house.

But 50 to 80 MPH is nothing like what we had in '62 - back then, we clocked the winds at our farm (down the mountain from my current location) at about 120 MPH sustained. We lost some trees and our windmill tower over the old well. It also pushed the barn and garage to a tilt. We took refuge in the basement of the my grandparents brick house. Both houses did okay, but lost some roofing.

Time to head for the bunker! It's nothing but beans and rice for the next 6 months!

Honestly though, our biggest threat is from the trees around us. We've been through a number of high wind events with no damage, I'm not expecting much for us this time as our trees are all in good condition and appear to be very deeply rooted. We'll just have to ride it out and see what happens.

My trees provide something of a wind break. I did thin them out, but there are still a significant number there. Neighbor lost a tree at the edge of his property some months ago - notice it was down. Still laying there.

What sux for us is even though we are sheltered by a pretty good mountain on 2 sides we are getting some pretty good rain this past night and forthcoming. We have lots of trees around where we rent and no garage for the cars. I am battening down everything in my Harbor Freight tent garage. It's as secure as it can be with lag bolts to a 1500 pound wooden platform on concrete piers ( I repurposed an old small, circular saw mill floor about 28x16). We got plenty of vittles and flashlights. Just hope this typhoon remnant stays out to sea until it peters out. I may ask my landlord if I can put my motorcycle in his smaller garage ( he has a big wood and auto shop as well).

Brutus Out

The King County Sheriff or Redmond Police told my brother's homeowner's association and everyone else on Lake Sammamish to pull their boats out of the lake. It's now in my warehouse for the weekend or possibly until March. Their dock is under water from November through February so he's not allowed to store it in his slip until then anyways. It's a good thing we have 12' high, 10' wide doors otherwise it would not have gotten inside. It didn't seem that big when it was in the water!

WHAT? Trump hasn't said anything dumb so media is in such a frenzy it's going after the weather?

Come on Mr Trump, save us from this storm! There's still time I think.

Wonder if the storm will put a damper on the Friday BLM protest downtown. The 30 turds that were there Wednesday might float away if it rains....

PS: Did anybody hear that their main grievance was that the outgoing Mayor shouldn't be deciding on something as important a topic as police contracts....

These are the same ilk who think the outgoing President should pick the next Supreme Court Judge and the Republicans are obstructing justice. Am I wrong or is there some inconsistency in the messaging......

It will be fun TV ,watching the new casters out on the coast in their best REI garb,waiting for it to hit!
Love it when they do that for a stiff breeze:p

Absolutely!
Three snowflakes are spotted 300 miles out to sea.

It's the Storm of Doom!!!
People are emptying the store shelves and gas stations!
Our intrepid reporters will be stationed at key locations, although they will probably be killed by the ferocious snow drifts! :D

We sat a goodly way back from a picture window and watched the Columbus Day Storm! IIRC, the anemometer on the Morrison Bridge snapped of at 116 mph! It was a devastating storm! We listened to a transistor radio and the stations were broadcasting emergency warnings and trying to help direct fire, ambulances and police! I've always remembered one that was trying to get insulin to a brittle diabetic who was in bad shape! Pretty scary stuff for a grade school kid.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top