JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We got wind, sideways rain, lots of rain, and that's about it. I did park my car in the street, because the neighbors have some tall arborvitae next to the driveway, and the wind was coming from that direction. We have no tall trees around the house aside from them, so no biggie. Not looking forward to working in the soaking wet, but ohwell.

Meh.

I went through the '62 storm - I was 8 years old. I survived.

I've been through a few storms since too.

Our weather guys today are a lot better than they were 44 years ago. I don't think that we will have a "massive" storm this weekend. It will get a bit windy in Seattle, but just breezy here.
Me too! it was a hoot! Wiped out most of the trees @ our place. Anything I could of said would of been redundant to your post except I disagree about the weathermen & women. Trillions of dollars on radar, computers ETC. with very little improvement in predictions from my prospective.

Nothing much here! Rain some wind and a surprising amount of thunder. I have my outage gear ready, but I'm sure that mother mature is afraid to hit me too hard, because my super duper weather, shortwave, am/fm radio was down with a broken off negative end battery spring. I fixed it, so I'm sure she's leery of messing with ooooold McIver! ;) I hope you all are doing well,those tornado touch downs in Manzanita and Tillamook are scary! I had one jump over the part of the city I was in, then came down and destroyed a school in Vancouver! It was an interesting sensation! :eek:

Well this storm brought something very odd into our laps last night. I was heading to bed, just after 9 (I get up in the wee hours) and kept hearing an animal call outside, sounded like it was in distress. My wife and daughter heard it in the front room as well. So I got up, got dressed, grabbed a flashlight and headed outside.

I could hear the calls continuing, but now I heard more than one. It was almost like a bird, but not a bird. I searched for about 5 minutes in the wind and rain and finally spotted something on the ground - a baby/juvenile squirrel - soaking wet, and calling out, but not moving much. I let my wife know and she asked me to get it and bring it to her. Now, before I go any further, you need to know that as a family, we're pretty much bleeding hearts for about anything with fur, so even though squirrels are nothing more than tree rats, we tend to try and help where we can. After I brought him to her, I still heard the calls and went out again and found #2 about 20 yards away and grabbed him. And then call #3 went out and about 20 yards from that one, I found #3, the last one.

At this point, I really needed to get to bed, so my wife left a not recounting the events they went through after I left. They spent several hours warming them up and giving them water as well as some suet we keep around for the birds, but which the squirrels love. She did research online and found what to do to care for them, then also found a couple of squirrel rescues in the area that may be able to help today (they were closed that late at night). Color me surprised, I didn't think anyone would take wild animals like this, but apparently there are those that do. When I went to bed, they didn't look good, not moving much, very cold. They warmed them up gently and said they all bounced back and became more lively.

So, sometime this morning we expect they'll either get to go to a shelter or, if so advised, will be released back into the wild to grow up and eat the food in our bird feeders some later day ;)

I'm guessing these guys survived quite a fall last night. We have 2 huge pin oaks in our backyard, about 80' tall, and I know there are several squirrel nests in the trees around us, including those 2 oaks. I can only surmise the nest somehow came dislodged during the storm and dropped them all to the ground.

Anyway, whatever happens, it's up to my wife and daughter to handle it from here. Just an interesting story from the storm, certainly not what I would have expected o_O

I wonder if you put them in a protected cage on the back deck, if the mother skwuRl might not come find them?

Wife called a little while ago. After talking to a shelter, they agreed what we did not harm them by taking them in and probably did help them survive the night. They suggested putting them back out this morning under the tree we most likely believed they came from. So, my wife and daughter put them out under one of the big oaks. They sat there for about 45 minutes, then started calling out to mama again. About 15 minutes later, she showed up, and, one by one, with them clinging to her back, took them back up to a nest in the tree. All 3 were reunited with mama. As for the nest they fell from, my wife says they can see 2 nests in the tree, one is torn wide open - probably a branch that fell on it during the storm.

But, my wife, and especially my daughter, were overjoyed to see the mother come and reclaim her babies. All is right with the world - at least we'll pretend it is ;)

Last Edited:
View attachment 317205

How in the world can you guys whine about missing a little fishing, for gosh sakes!!!

WE'RE FIGHTING FOR (um...hey, hon. Hand me some more Pringles, will ya?) OUR VERY LIVES, HERE!
ALL THE NEWS REPORTS SAY SO! (Thanks sweetie)! :eek:

It's my party & I'll cry if I want to.....:p:p:p
If you must know, fishing is what we do. We are retired for gosh sakes!!!!:eek:

Well this storm brought something very odd into our laps last night. I was heading to bed, just after 9 (I get up in the wee hours) and kept hearing an animal call outside, sounded like it was in distress. My wife and daughter heard it in the front room as well. So I got up, got dressed, grabbed a flashlight and headed outside.

I could hear the calls continuing, but now I heard more than one. It was almost like a bird, but not a bird. I searched for about 5 minutes in the wind and rain and finally spotted something on the ground - a baby/juvenile squirrel - soaking wet, and calling out, but not moving much. I let my wife know and she asked me to get it and bring it to her. Now, before I go any further, you need to know that as a family, we're pretty much bleeding hearts for about anything with fur, so even though squirrels are nothing more than tree rats, we tend to try and help where we can. After I brought him to her, I still heard the calls and went out again and found #2 about 20 yards away and grabbed him. And then call #3 went out and about 20 yards from that one, I found #3, the last one.

At this point, I really needed to get to bed, so my wife left a not recounting the events they went through after I left. They spent several hours warming them up and giving them water as well as some suet we keep around for the birds, but which the squirrels love. She did research online and found what to do to care for them, then also found a couple of squirrel rescues in the area that may be able to help today (they were closed that late at night). Color me surprised, I didn't think anyone would take wild animals like this, but apparently there are those that do. When I went to bed, they didn't look good, not moving much, very cold. They warmed them up gently and said they all bounced back and became more lively.

So, sometime this morning we expect they'll either get to go to a shelter or, if so advised, will be released back into the wild to grow up and eat the food in our bird feeders some later day ;)

I'm guessing these guys survived quite a fall last night. We have 2 huge pin oaks in our backyard, about 80' tall, and I know there are several squirrel nests in the trees around us, including those 2 oaks. I can only surmise the nest somehow came dislodged during the storm and dropped them all to the ground.

Anyway, whatever happens, it's up to my wife and daughter to handle it from here. Just an interesting story from the storm, certainly not what I would have expected o_O

Squirrel, it's what's for dinner (unless they are babies)....just sayin....

Squirrel, it's what's for dinner (unless they are babies)....just sayin....

I figure we need to keep a good crop of full grown squirrels nearby, just in case. Once that storm hits, we could be without food and power for a whole day! We'll need something to eat, and may just have to start hunting those little buggers.

Don't tell my daughter that, or she'll skin me alive...:eek:

I figure we need to keep a good crop of full grown squirrels nearby, just in case. Once that storm hits, we could be without food and power for a whole day! We'll need something to eat, and may just have to start hunting those little buggers.

Don't tell my daughter that, or she'll skin me alive...:eek:

True that, I grew up hunting them as a kid. My family ate them too.
My daughter was like that until I explained certain things about survival to her, then she cried.....:oops:

This hype over this storm is as bad as the Clown scare has been.

Winds in Eugene are predicted to peak at 30 mph early tomorrow afternoon, and at 28 mph by early evening in Portland.

It is going to be a good size storm, but both the predicted rainfall level and wind velocity are nothing to become seriously concerned about.

Come on over to the coast Lance!
I've been out most of the night repairing storm damage, and just a bit ago a tornado walked through downtown Manzinita and another one just missed Baycity.
We're not even to the big stuff forecasted for tomorrow, ya,ya I know all hype and drama right?
Well it could be possible they got this one right and were not "clowning" around,, I dunno:s0092:

Here is a video of the tornado that ran about 10 city blocks in downtown Manzanita, OR today. If you watch the base of the funnel, you can see flashes of light as it presumably pulls apart some power lines:

In other news, when will cell phone users learn to turn their phones on the horizontal when shooting video?? o_O

More video of the damage at this link - can't embed this video:

<broken link removed>

Check out the slide show on that link - some pretty wicked damage there.

Ever notice how a storm's severity is dependent upon several major criteria?
Not the least of which is...
...whose house the big tree is on top of? :confused:

ELxh2x456Qilpp27ozoG6y0ZqUBpp348HcWh9M0E-X4IfDF5PQ.jpg
file photo

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR