JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Really? I could get hit by a bus too, but it just hasn't happened. I was in Seattle today, as usual. There were police around, they even came up to one of us and stated "you don't have to talk to us". Our response was, are we free to go? The answer was affirmative and we went on our way.

Don't get into the 'but' scenario when you are sitting at home, it just doesn't pass the smell test.

From today.

no way in **** I'm using any sort of drop leg rig for open carry.

I am not a fan of drop leg for OC in an urban setting either. However, a few do it and that is their choice.

I was having the same thought when I saw the above pic. It is at least neater then the guy I saw in a parking lot the other day with a cheap holster hanging down from his belt ( the belt was tight to him, had another "lanyard" holding the holster so that it would hang down, but not secured to his thigh. Hard to explain.) then have a Hi-point jammed into it, the Holster was to small for the Hi-point, with a rubber band to help "hold it" into place. :huh:

I was having the same thought when I saw the above pic. It is at least neater then the guy I saw in a parking lot the other day with a cheap holster hanging down from his belt ( the belt was tight to him, had another "lanyard" holding the holster so that it would hang down, but not secured to his thigh. Hard to explain.) then have a Hi-point jammed into it, the Holster was to small for the Hi-point, with a rubber band to help "hold it" into place. :huh:

As you see in the first pic (me) and the rest of the group that we all carry in some sort of belt holster with retention. Our holsters/firearms pretty much blend in with our attire and look no different in peripheral vision as a cell phone pouch.

The guys who use drop leg holsters usually are very tall guys with long arms and claim they do so for ergonomic reasons. Again, it is there choice.

If the witness statements are validated that he was staring people down and playing gunfighter - then he is a douce and should be prosecuted. If he was just pushing his cart and picking up groceries then the charge should be dropped.

It is one thing to defend gun rights but another thing to defend the person who was abusive or a just a plain moron.

As you see in the first pic (me) and the rest of the group that we all carry in some sort of belt holster with retention. Our holsters/firearms pretty much blend in with our attire and look no different in peripheral vision as a cell phone pouch.

The guys who use drop leg holsters usually are very tall guys with long arms and claim they do so for ergonomic reasons. Again, it is there choice.

Oh I understand the need or want for drop leg. And if done correctly hardly notice myself when I see some one sporting one. My main point was, if a person is wanting to open carry, I hope that person will at least do it neatly.

I can't wait for the show down in court this one gets, it will be remembered and talked about.... "This is my weapon, and this is my gun, This ones for Branishing, and this ones for fun"!

Wow, I really hope this guy can get a good gun rights attorney.

^^ I agree, see now this is where the NRA or OFF should step in to help with situations like this help provide legal advise or even chip in and help hire an attorney. If in all Honesty the guy was just OC'ing and not showing off or purposely walking into any of those touchy feely "Anti-Gun Zones", then by all means he was in the right.

And if is is indeed in the right, then the folks at the NRA need to stop playing bureaucratic politics and get back to their grass roots and start being a movement again.. not these back door deals with the Brady bunch.

If ever I get a ticket for OCing and I KNOW I wasn't acting as a "perceived threat" or an "alarming" figure then I'll fight that ticket with every fiber of my being.. they'd have to drop the case before I'd give up. I'd spend my entire retirement fund on travel, court costs and attorneys just to stick it to them.

When I saw this story on local news a while back I was pretty sure they said he was acting like he was going to draw the weapon. Their quote not mine. Wether that is true or not I dont know but seems folks could just about make anything up about you and your gun and if the cops are not eyewitnesses you are probably screwed.
If someone saw you OC, called the cops and said you 'pointed your gun at them' what are you going to do? you are up the creek without a paddle pretty much.

Under the law, Raquer said, a person can be ticketed if his display of a gun alarms people.

“I guess you could liken it to people yelling ‘Fire!’ in a movie theater,” Raquer said. “People get alarmed.”

He added, “Most responsible people don’t display their firearm in public.”

Washington State court precedent has firmly established that the mere presence and sight of a firearm is NOT brandishing. The person carrying it must behave in some manner that clearly gives rise to fear in bystanders. Some years ago there were a number of similar arrests, I believe one went to the Supreme COurt, which came down strongly on the side of the armed citizen in the case. The Attorney General's office sent round letters to all LEA advising them that the one in possession of the firearm must be DOING something specific to engender the fear, that they are NOT to respond, and especially not to arrest, for mere possession, even if visible. 911 operators were even trained specifically to ask questions in "man with a gun" reports to determine whether the situation warranted action... if the guy merely HAS a gun, and seems to be going about his business with no move to intimidate or threaten anyone, they are not even to report it to LEA for followup.

What appears to have happened is that this "system" has somehow been forgotten.... the 911 operator did not ascertain that the "man with gun" was behaving in a threatening manner, and the cop responding was wrong to advise him mere possession is illegel..... so is the Chief, making his stupid crack about "responsible people don't go carrying guns in such places".. well, sorry, he is dead wrong, and needs to be corrected. ANYONE not othewise debarred the use of arms by former actions may carry almost anywhere almost any time.... citizens need to suck it up and get used to it. Private citizens are fully within their rights (except as above) to carry almost everywhere. VCPD need to get their act together.... NOTHING was said regarding any specific conduct giving rise to a serious threat by this man. My guess is the prosecutor will toss it... and hopefully reprimand the VCPD, starting with the chief.

I think about four hundred shoppers should patronise that Albertson's in the next week or so, ALL of them armed, visibly. Then, a class action suit against VCPD to set them to rights. I think there's some new blood in that department, maybe they've spent too much time in or near Chicago. Or LA.

This type of incident is enough for me to say I would never open carry in public. I would either carry concealed or not at all. Granted, I live in Oregon but it just seems like open carry is more trouble than it's worth. To all who do it, good for you and thanks for standing up for your rights but I'm going to sit this one out.

now im all for carrying a gun . and it dosent bother me in the least to see someone is carrying out in the open , but could someone please tell me why it is so important for you to do it . if it is so easy for me and any other law abiding citizen to get a conncealed carry permit. is it the shock factor ? does it make you feel like a badass?is it that you are not legally supposed to carry concealed. beacause i will be honest with you i think that it is really stupid to show what you have . you are much better off with the surprise to the enemy . i dont think it should be illegal to open carry but why do it when its so simple to get a concealed permit . do you really like talking to the cops?

now im all for carrying a gun . and it dosent bother me in the least to see someone is carrying out in the open , but could someone please tell me why it is so important for you to do it . if it is so easy for me and any other law abiding citizen to get a conncealed carry permit. is it the shock factor ? does it make you feel like a badass?is it that you are not legally supposed to carry concealed. beacause i will be honest with you i think that it is really stupid to show what you have . you are much better off with the surprise to the enemy . i dont think it should be illegal to open carry but why do it when its so simple to get a concealed permit . do you really like talking to the cops?

:s0155:

Well, I personally do not have issue with OC. I chose not to down hear, I do not want the attention or to have any one around me know I have a gun. In Alaska I OC all the time, just worked out that way, never really went out of my way to do so. However I limited when I had to spend time in Anchorage.

I have no issue with, and really do not understand why there is so much controversy about it here. I really am shocked by it. If a person want to OC so what, isn't this why we have a free country?
Now, I do get that there are those that seem to go out of their way with it to create issues to prove a point, and some may even go to far and that does or can result in a black eye so to speak about gun owners over all. That is bad.
I would rather see all this energy some expel here spend on other firearms issues. But we all have different braking points and priorities.

Guess I just do not seem to understand either side very well.

I do believe most who OC to have a cwp or ccp or what ever their state calls it.

Really? I could get hit by a bus too, but it just hasn't happened. I was in Seattle today, as usual. There were police around, they even came up to one of us and stated "you don't have to talk to us". Our response was, are we free to go? The answer was affirmative and we went on our way.

Don't get into the 'but' scenario when you are sitting at home, it just doesn't pass the smell test.

From today.

Now if that guy on the left aint looking for attention.
These pics make me see I am right with everything I have said about you carrying.
That pic of you makes you look like you are just waiting for some confrontation
I would definitely move away from you guys.Wouldn't trust any of you around me with a gun.

Too funny. Great representation of the gun community.

And this Kirby must be a member on here.He fits right in with y'all

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR