JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK just saw this on the net. WTF is going on when you can get a ticket with open carry:huh: http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/mar/19/police-ticket-man-who-wore-gun-in-store/ At least they said if he was concealed he would get a ticket if he did not have a permit. Am just wondering how the **** do you get a ticket for having it in a holster on your hip:s0131:

This is what I find interesting about the law as qouted by the PO. Under the law, Raquer said, a person can be ticketed if his display of a gun alarms people. Well I guess you can get a ticket as a gun on your hip might alarm people:huh: WTF is going on in todays society:confused:

That law says: "It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons."

I wonder if that law was voted on buy the people of Washington State or just passed buy the bureaucrats? Crazy!

Sgt, Greg Raquer with the Vancouver Police Department Said "Most responsible people don't display their firearm in public." WOW! What a slap in the face to all of the Open carrying types!

Last Edited:
Wow! And to top it off he may loose his right to carry it concealed.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

(2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.

CRAZY! Open carry...Loose your Concealed Pistol License! BY BY 2A!

WOW. dont even know where to start with this one. WTF is wrong with this state(country). Try to follow the law -get ticket/maybe loose cwp- which wont allow you to follow the law -again-. Think its time to start writing letters to the CC sherrif dept also.

WELL IT ALARMS ME THAT THE COPS RUN AROUND SHOWING THIER WEOPONS IN PUBLIC AND ALARMING ME AND THE PUBLIC !! SO WHAT PENALTY SHOULD THEY GET ? i mean im all for having law and order but this is just plain wrong to me !!

..... in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons."

Any decent attorney should be able to get that thrown out of court. It is an impossibly vague law and it basically makes you responsible for the emotional state of another person.

Carried to its logical conclusion...if I was a spectator at a softball game and I "felt alarmed" by the "manner" in which one of the players was holding a softball bat, I could call police and press charges.

My opinion....is that the intent of the law is to prohibit brandishing or displaying in a threatening manner. If the guy was walking around the store yelling at people and waving the gun around and pointing it at them then yes, he should be charged with a crime.

That is not what happened here, and I suspect that the charges will be dismissed.

Case law in this state, on this subject is clear (as any law can be to a lay person)... He will walk and get an apology (maybe not the apology)...The courts have ruled that we cannot control the irrational fears of hopolophobes .....and that the mere presence of a firearm is not "brandishing"

Yeah I can't see how we can control the emotional state of others.

I haven't quite mastered my Jedi training on that.

I hope the person who dialed 911 realizes that I carry concealed and I shop there yet my concealed gun could do as much damage or protection as an open carry firearm. However if they guy carrying was in the wrong then then I'm glad they called 911.

Folks, you need to slow down a bit. What we are seeing is only what has been reported by the Columbian newspaper. What we don't see is what events took place that lead to someone calling 911 on this guy.
If you are going to open carry, then you have to expect the attention that follows. In my experience, Vancouver PD and Clark County SO have always been gun friendly(with respect to the law), so long as you are being responsible.
I would suggest that we wait and see how this one is handled when he goes to court and the truth comes out about the events that lead to this incident.

Having some contact with the situation, his gun was also confiscated. His wife's gun was not (because she had a jacket on). He has an attorney. There will be an open carry meeting soon in Vancouver, as there are several dozen from the Seattle area that will be driving down for support. Having talked with a CCSO deputy he is appaled at VPD's behavior and also knows that it will be thrown out. Patience and prudence is needed.

Folks, you need to slow down a bit. What we are seeing is only what has been reported by the Columbian newspaper. What we don't see is what events took place that lead to someone calling 911 on this guy.
If you are going to open carry, then you have to expect the attention that follows. In my experience, Vancouver PD and Clark County SO have always been gun friendly(with respect to the law), so long as you are being responsible.
I would suggest that we wait and see how this one is handled when he goes to court and the truth comes out about the events that lead to this incident.

Ah, but we have some people on this forum who don't want the facts. They just want to knee-jerk bash cops. We can't let facts stop their paranoia, now can we? :)

While it may well turn out that the cops were wrong here (or not, we don't know) let's not stop the cop bashers' fun in the meantime, before all the facts are public, OK? :)

Ah, but we have some people on this forum who don't want the facts. They just want to knee-jerk bash cops. We can't let facts stop their paranoia, now can we? :)

While it may well turn out that the cops were wrong here (or not, we don't know) let's not stop the cop bashers' fun in the meantime, before all the facts are public, OK? :)

+1 I am constantly amazed by posters on the forum, snap decisions made from a small amount of information obtained from 1 source, be it the INTERNET or the newspaper...slow it down is good advice.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top