JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would say there is a pretty big difference between "...it states that is *anyone* is *alarmed* by the presence of your gun." and the RCW which I am paraphrasing of course; says that you have to manifest intent to intimidate, or be doing something to warrant alarm. So standing in public with a gun in a holster while picking my nose would be perfectly legal, albeit disgusting.

You don't get it. You will likely be charged and you will be harassed, I was, on my own land

Try it, and get back to us

I don't doubt it. But I think we're talking past each other.

I agree. In my case I was checking out loud crashing sounds coming from the direction of my shed. I responded with a Mossberg 500 to discover it was another neighbor banging around in his shop over the fence.. I went back inside. A nutty, cultist, pill popping divorcee next door saw me and called the cops.. one week later. Two deputies show up at my door and "questioned" me about the incident. After they heard what actually happened, they left. So any hoplophobe or kook can be "alarmed" and you get to meet the guys wearing badges. That is how the law is written, and that is the analysis of Joe Waldron

There is no urban open carry in WA State if you can be harassed on your own land because some kook was "skeered" of you simply holding a firearm in your own back yard..

I think that the store owner should be sent to a re-education camp! If the mall (private property) had a posting about no firearms then Kirby could have been arrested for trespassing if he refused to leave that's all. This is a case of sheepeople out of control.

I guess the guy is lucky if it would have been in Portland he might of got shot instead of a ticket. I bet there are some people out there that do worry about police open carry excluding bad guys but I don't see the police giving themselves a ticket. Of course I'm not saying police are bad people I know several and they are great people.

According to a close family friend that is highly ranked with the VPD this guy was walking around with his hand on his firearm and gesturing as though he was ready to draw. They received no less than 5 calls to 911 saying that people felt threatened. It sounds to me that this guy was not exactly acting within his rights.

According to a close family friend that is highly ranked with the VPD this guy was walking around with his hand on his firearm and gesturing as though he was ready to draw. They received no less than 5 calls to 911 saying that people felt threatened. It sounds to me that this guy was not exactly acting within his rights.

I am not sure I buy it since it took quite awhile after the incident for those details to surface. *IF* it is true though there are gonna be a lot of ppl on forums like this eating their words before long.(myself included):angry:

Case law in this state, on this subject is clear (as any law can be to a lay person)... He will walk and get an apology (maybe not the apology)...The courts have ruled that we cannot control the irrational fears of hopolophobes .....and that the mere presence of a firearm is not "brandishing"

Yeah ... but until he walks and gets an apology (if ever) ... his criminal record will be f****d completely. Then you have to waste money on attorneys to expunge the record. Still, if you ever apply for a job that requires a criminal background check you will have to explain what happen some time ago when a prick saw in getting in the store with your weapon on the side while you were getting a Gatorade bottle out of the refrigerator -- and called the cops on you.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top