JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lard isn't that shelf stable
20221114_145703.jpg

Whatchoo talkin bout, Willis?

Good till end of next summer .

So I was just at the store. GHee was about a buck an ounce. No thanks. The shelf life on Lard was two years so I grabbed a bucket of lard

So I was just at the store. GHee was about a buck an ounce. No thanks. The shelf life on Lard was two years so I grabbed a bucket of lard
It can be found cheaper at Target. Lard won't taste as good, but suit yourself.

Sounds healthy. Fake-azz Kraft mac and "cheese" made with lard.

Jesus.

Churn your own butter?
When I was a Pint-sized Pocket, we would get our milk, in a gallon jar, from one of the school bus drivers....geez, when I think about that now, it doesn't seem safe to have a kids riding a bus holding glass jars.

Anyhow, some people wanted the cream skimmed off...so our family would usually buy extra cream. Fill a jar half full, shake and slosh it for about 30 minutes...and you end up with a lump of butter and some low fat milk...

And you would also end up with a lil'MTpockets whining about having to slosh the jar for 30 minutes.

Not sure if you would like the taste but Olive Oil has a very log shelf life. Advertised as about 2 years. But I used to use it as a Quenching oil in my Knifemaking and that stuff never went rancid. And keep n mind I was sticking 1500° pieces of steel into it every couple weeks.

Not sure if you would like the taste but Olive Oil has a very log shelf life. Advertised as about 2 years. But I used to use it as a Quenching oil in my Knifemaking and that stuff never went rancid. And keep n mind I was sticking 1500° pieces of steel into it every couple weeks.
I use lard as a thread cutting lube on the lathe so even after its expiration date I still have a use for it :).

When a poor college student we used mayo in our Mac and cheese. We were at a cabin duck hunting, and were not near a store. It was not bad with Tabasco sauce.

I made it again in my 40s, not nearly as good when you are a spoiled old man, but mayo packets last way longer than butter.

Haha. The HOA isn't going to allow dairy cows even in the aftermath of a nuclear war and especially then the last thing you want to be eating is strontium 90 enriched butter.
cow fat pig fat. It looks like in just a few minutes googling that lards probably a little healthier .
You're worried about which fat is healthier after a nuclear war? :s0140: :s0140: :s0140:

If a nuke hits and you're living off of boxed mac and cheese you'll be garnishing it with sautéed coyote as$hole before long just to have something different. You don't need butter for M&C anyway.

You can buy commercially canned butter, you can can it yourself or you can can mac&cheese. I just finished a plate of mac&cheese I canned, open the jar, put it on a plate, sprinkle some smoke Tabasco sauce on it, zap it for a minute or so, quick and easy hot lunch.
Ummm can mac and cheese?! Please let us in on this glorious bit of information

Upcoming Events

Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top