JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good Morning,

Just thought I'd pass this along.

Military "QuickClot" can be substituted with DURVET "Blood Stop Powder".

Granted, I have no idea how this product would fare if packed into a wound channel like QuickClot, however, even QuickClot needs to be removed by a qualified medic to get all of the ZEOLITE granules out of the would channel.

"Blood Stop Powder" is $5.80/lb from HorseLoverz.com now, and if you use the COUPON CODE ZQD4737437 you can get an additional $5.00 off of any order over $50.00 (offer expires 28 FEB 2015).

Expiration seems to be two years/lb plastic bottle.

Group buy anyone?

Stay away from powders and granules... personally I even stay away from the treated gauze and go with either petrolatinum gauze or simple kerlix rollers. Just remember the more you put in, the more you have to take out. If direct pressure and elevating work, quit screwing around.

National standard for EMS "shock and bleeding control" is Direct pressure, Tourniquet, Dress the wound, Position PT (supine if hypotensive), O2, prevent heat loss, Transport.

They have gone away from elevation and pressure points. Lots of this stuff comes from the military and what they found. If someone has a massive hemorrhage that is not controlled with direct pressure, how much time are you going to spend messing around with other measure and letting them bleed? The sooner you get a tourniquet on, the sooner the bleeding is controlled, the less blood loss, the better off the patient is.

Tourniquets have also changed forms. They are no longer "strings" that can cause lots of tissue damage and require great pressure to work. Now they are at least 1" straps, some are 4" wide rubber bands. They are able to to spread out the pressure over a greater area causing less tissue damage and being more effective.

Most of the original powers had what is called an Exothermic reaction, meaning the heat up when activated. They were getting hot enough to actually burn. This is one of the reasons Quickclot became so popular is it did not have that reaction.

The other big problem with powders is where is this ever used in a controlled environment?????? All the things nature and "emergencies" can throw at us can make it very hard to get good application to the correct spot. There were also reports of people getting it in their eyes while trying to treat a patient......

National standard for EMS "shock and bleeding control" is Direct pressure, Tourniquet, Dress the wound, Position PT (supine if hypotensive), O2, prevent heat loss, Transport.

They have gone away from elevation and pressure points. Lots of this stuff comes from the military and what they found. If someone has a massive hemorrhage that is not controlled with direct pressure, how much time are you going to spend messing around with other measure and letting them bleed? The sooner you get a tourniquet on, the sooner the bleeding is controlled, the less blood loss, the better off the patient is.

Tourniquets have also changed forms. They are no longer "strings" that can cause lots of tissue damage and require great pressure to work. Now they are at least 1" straps, some are 4" wide rubber bands. They are able to to spread out the pressure over a greater area causing less tissue damage and being more effective.

I'm still a little oldschool personally and tend to shy away from tourniquets unless it's really serious, like bullet wounds and amputations serious.

One other possibility, is to use a BP-cuff if you don't have a tourniquet.

Again current early use of tourniquets and the style of tourniquets have change because of evidence based studies. It is not the same teaching or style of devices advocated 20+ years ago. There are many studies based on evidence that show the patient outcome changes, Studies on early tourniquet use

BP cuff can work, but most leak down so you have to keep an eye on them to make sure they are staying inflated to the point you need.

Again current early use of tourniquets and the style of tourniquets have change because of evidence based studies. It is not the same teaching or style of devices advocated 20+ years ago. There are many studies based on evidence that show the patient outcome changes, Studies on early tourniquet use

BP cuff can work, but most leak down so you have to keep an eye on them to make sure they are staying inflated to the point you need.

Cellox is non-hypothermic (does not burn)

Veterinary blood stop powder is iron sulfate based and it does get quite hot when applied to blood. I use it quite regularly when de-horning cows, and if you have never seen that done, it is a nasty bloody job.
It would have to be a seriously dire emergency before I would try it on a human, but I keep needles and dental floss for sewing real nasty wounds in my vet kit. And by the way spider webs make great blood stop for small wounds, believe it or not.

The part that everyone misses in the studies, because the manufactures don't like to point it out, is that all of them require direct pressure to work AND they don't work much better than direct pressure alone.
Another point is that QuickClot works by pulling water out of all the cells it comes in contact with. That means that it is killing tissue which will require potential additional surgical debriedment. If this is in a "SHTF" environment with no advanced medical services available you have made the situation that much worse for little gain.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top