JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think it's going on kickstarter for $200. I figure in any kind of situation, anything that can shorten your efforts would be worth it. You can pedal the washer while cooking or doing something else, or it's easy enough to have a child run it while adults are doing other work.

Too small, and cheap plastic crap. Think about it, in a grid-down situation, you're going to be hauling water, conserving cleaning supplies, and have limited time and energy available for doing laundry. Clean clothes also last longer, an important consideration. It's stands to reason that you should be washing as large a load as you can handle, in a washer setup that is built to last, with an energy setup that is both efficient and can be dual-purpose.

A family situation would mean that little setup is in use every day. You're losing one person-hour of labor or security every day by putting that thing on your porch.

So look a lot harder at the bicycle/washer setups. It's also going to be the cheapest in cost, you can probably get washer and a bike for $30 together.

Ah............Stream and a rock? Just sayin! Got my self an Old Hit and Miss engine that can run all sorts of things! I can run my wash, run a small saw mill, run my log splitter, ect........... I am looking for a steam engine to add in, or replace this to cut back on the need for "fuel" that isn't stable or easy to get! Plus I got the "ol Tim Allen issues, MOE POWER!!!

Interesting ideas about keeping clothing clean & staying hygienic in a grid down type situation.

Myself, I hate doing laundry (with power), so have extra sets of clean clothing. Daily wear & work wear--but my work wear is just scrubs or a scrub top with cargos (so it's easy to dry). I routinely wash clothes ever other week, but sometimes weekly - ie with favorite shirts & such.

I also have extra sets of outdoor work pants (thick duck type, like the Duluth fire hose type), because it took me a while to find ones which fit me well.

Key for me is: I have triple+ sets of draws and socks (because I'm cheap & pick them up on special). I figure I could get by nearly a month before I had to do laundry, before getting too funky...and that'd be just washing draws & socks.

I could likely stretch that time out even further by using isopropyl alcohol to "decon" my draws & socks.

You'd be surprised how long you can go without doing laundry & being active. On my long bike trip I think I went a month without washing clothes in Xingjiang/Tibet (also no shower). I did wash draws & socks a few times, but not my long underwear/layers.

-Didn't bother me one bit! You really do get used to your own funk.

Hitched a ride on a sleeper bus and the Chinese woman in the next birth was gagging frim my stink...didn't think much of it at the time because many Chinese (& Indians / Nepalese) get violently car sick. -Very common.

Last Edited:
When I was little, out in the Nevada wilds, we didn't own an electric washer. Mom did the laundry in a hand crank washer and a hand wringer! Big day for mom when I got big enough to turn the wringer!:D Ditto on the water pump handle! I was her little hero!

Something that puzzles me on the video!
The guy stopped pumping the drive, then drained the water and then removed the clothes. Why not drain the water and then spin the basket to extract the water in the clothing? Ala a salad spinner. Certainly would be more effective!o_O

I found one of the old time gas engine driven washers with built in wringer on it, on C/L here close by, I'm seriously going down to take a look! Thanks a lot guys, More stuff I need, Damn it! Still need a mechanical water pump too. I have a year round stream through my property and it would be nice to set up a small holding pond and hook up a pump!

...Still need a mechanical water pump too. I have a year round stream through my property and it would be nice to set up a small holding pond and hook up a pump!

A hydrolic ram pump from the stream to setup your pond, or some type of manual pump to have avail?

-Just curious as to what some folks do. I'm a heck of a long ways off from even looking at buying property.

I'm going to get a back hoe up here some time this summer and dig out a good size pond! The plan as of right now is to set up a Hydro Generator on the down stream side and to have a water pump to supply home and other needs! Good Idea Sgt Nambu on putting fish in, I would think the flow would keep the pond fresh, and I do have a plan for filtration so I don't think water quality will be an issue! Plus, A fresh water pond will likely bring down Deer and Elk more then we have all ready, so that will be a nice addition! Just need to get these damn bears to go else where, they are really annoying, and we cannot shoot them! Big damn dogs is what they have turned into!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top