JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I knew one guy that lost the gas cap on his truck while out hunting so decided to use a few uncapped road flares stuffed in the filler neck to reduce splash out on his way back down the tight, rock walled canyon.

not really

And here I thought you being sort of a Mountain Man, Fur Trader sort, woulda been trapping around on a Horse or Donkey, or Grizzly bear, NEVER in one of them fancy fangled Auto Mobile thingys :eek:
Boy howdy was we wrong 'bout you, You is one of them modern fellers ain't ya:p:p:p

Ducking:D
Hey now ... Don't you be knocking my "Iron Horse"....:p:D
Andy

I have had enough perfect storms, or alignment of a multitude of improbabilities making a bad event certain, that I'm amazed I'm still alive.
  1. I don't have loose ammo in my car, except in an ammo can;
  2. No pool chlorine tablets in the same bag as motor oil;
  3. No spray cans without tops;
  4. No fire extinguishers lacking pins;
  5. No unencased sharp objects to impale me if I get in an accident. (had that happen once, nasty, nasty scars);
  6. No unsecured heavy stuff to come flyin' in an accident.
Personally, I can't stand the sound of anything loose rattling/rolling around in my car, even the dogs' ball.
Things I do have:
plenty of visible, empty brass that SJW's or Anti's may clearly see.

Reminds me of a friend.

He rolled his truck on the ice near Ladd Canyon.
Smashed the sides, top, front end and rear of that truck all to heck and back.

Only injury?
His rather large First-Aid kit was flying around loose, and hit him severely up side the head. o_O:D

A friend of mine got in an accident many years ago, rear ended someone. He had just replaced his car battery and had the old one in the back seat, passenger side.

At the impact and sudden stop, the battery flew through the unoccupied passenger seat and out through the windshield.

On another note, didn't someone recently post a video about ammo in a blender?

OK--back to ammo going off in odd ways. Got this one directly from a firearms instructor from a
large law enforcement agency. He was doing instruction for a group. Outdoor range, gravel surface,
common firing line. I don't recall the actual words--but basically "unload and show clear"---drop the mag,
rack the slide and eject the chambered round--there was a "bang" . 45 ACP, dropped to the gravel base first, primer hit a pointy rock. Bullet was launched upward with just enough velocity to whack the recruit in the cojones hard enough to get his attention. I'm sure hilarity ensued.:D

Nope. There is not enough mass involved with either the cartridge or the keys to actually deform a primer enough to set it off from a bump in the road. Whatever happened, it wasn't what the OP related in that post.

If you insist on having loose rounds in your vehicle, it helps to also have a feral child handy.

Loose guns are probably worse.. in the Miami shootout, one clown had his pistol on the seat beside him.. it got "lost" for a while in a bad way when it mattered a whole bunch.
probably what caused the whole fiasco

One of my teachers way back in high school shot skeet a lot. He told me one time while putting an armload of gear in his vehicle he dropped a live 12 gauge round.

He said of all the hundreds he'd dropped over the years this one must have hit a piece of gravel just right and went off. It made a pop and burst out the side of the plastic hull, scattering unburnt powder around. The shot stayed in the hull, no harm done at all.

One of my teachers way back in high school shot skeet a lot. He told me one time while putting an armload of gear in his vehicle he dropped a live 12 gauge round.

He said of all the hundreds he'd dropped over the years this one must have hit a piece of gravel just right and went off. It made a pop and burst out the side of the plastic hull, scattering unburnt powder around. The shot stayed in the hull, no harm done at all.
When I was in high school shotgun shells were made of paper and brass.

I don't believe this story at all - that brass casing would not look that way after an out - of - chamber discharge - the bullet would have exited the case without much else happening.

I thought the same thing, except if the bullet was constrained, basically sandwiching tip and case head, the brass is the weakest link.
What seemed to me BS in the story was the notion that the sound was just a pop. To rupture brass like that, methinks it would have been much, much louder.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top