JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Loose Rounds In Your Vehicle. Safety Issue? | Gun Talk

Loose Rounds In Your Vehicle. Safety Issue?

Just when you think you've heard it all, someone points out another way to possibly get hurt with guns and ammunition. Honestly, if someone had suggested this, I'd have said it was virtually impossible.

Except that Joel in Washington had it happen. Like a lot of us, he had loose rounds rattling around in his vehicle. Heck, I probably couldn't find all the loose rounds in the console, glove box, seat tracks, and who knows where in my truck.

Well a loose round went off in his console.

Last edited by a moderator:
Waugh! That's nothing.... Just the other day , you know , that real hot one , anyway , I had my powder horn in the car , I went over a speed bump and BANG POOF!!!!!....:eek:

Just kidding ... loose ammo in a car might not be the best idea ... but I don't think you are going blow up 'cause of it.
Andy

Last Edited:
The risk taken with the choice of firearm ownership.

The odds of that happening wouldn't stop most people from the habit; basic accountability and availability might garner more support for keeping cartriges in some type of accessable container..

Cartriges outside of a chamber are much less dangerous than chambered cartriges.

Air transportability in the military used to specify "in magazines" or "in approved shipping containers" (bandoleers, stripper clips, cases, or cans..).

I saw my dad jump up out of a lawn chair and do an Indian war dance one evening, all because he put a couple of large watch batteries in his Bermuda shorts front pocket along with his car keys and spare change. Man did he whoop and holler.

I expect that enough rounds of loose ammo rolling around in your car would elicit the same interest as several empty beer cans if a cop asked you to exit your vehicle and some of them rolled out?!?!?!?!?

Sheldon

He said a loose key struck the primer. It's the keys fault. :D

Probably a better chance of getting struck by lightning. But I don't have loose rounds all over my truck either . My brother and dad always had loose .22 ammo in their consoles in Idaho. No issues. I'd say a freak accident but doesn't hurt to be careful about storing it.

The main reason I see to keep track of loose rounds in my vehicles is the prying eyes of snowflake, SJW, terdds that will try any kind of harassment on a gun owner.

I have had enough perfect storms, or alignment of a multitude of improbabilities making a bad event certain, that I'm amazed I'm still alive.
  1. I don't have loose ammo in my car, except in an ammo can;
  2. No pool chlorine tablets in the same bag as motor oil;
  3. No spray cans without tops;
  4. No fire extinguishers lacking pins;
  5. No unencased sharp objects to impale me if I get in an accident. (had that happen once, nasty, nasty scars);
  6. No unsecured heavy stuff to come flyin' in an accident.
Personally, I can't stand the sound of anything loose rattling/rolling around in my car, even the dogs' ball.
Things I do have:
plenty of visible, empty brass that SJW's or Anti's may clearly see.

I witnessed a round going off during a gun show once.

We were about 50 feet from the entrance were a guy dropped a recently purchased ammo can full of 556. Turned out a round got the pointy end of another in the not so good end, if you know what I mean.

Never have I ever seen so many gun owners reach for their guns all at once. Darn guy was lucky he didn't get shot.

I put all my range ammo in an ammo can loose, it is only a matter of time before I'll hit a bump on a logging road somewhere and have a significantly faster than normal bowel movement.

Waugh! That's nothing.... Just the other day , you know , that real hot one , anyway , I had my powder horn in the car , I went over a speed bump and BANG POOF!!!!!....:eek:

Just kidding ... loose ammo in a car might not be the best idea ... but I don't think you are going blow up 'cause of it.
Andy
And here I thought you being sort of a Mountain Man, Fur Trader sort, woulda been trapping around on a Horse or Donkey, or Grizzly bear, NEVER in one of them fancy fangled Auto Mobile thingys :eek:
Boy howdy was we wrong 'bout you, You is one of them modern fellers ain't ya:p:p:p

Ducking:D

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top