JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I keep my car pristine, no smoking, eating, or drinking allowed but I keep finding loose rounds around the homestead that only chamber in weapons I don't even own anymore. As far as safety is concerned we used to throw .22 cartridges into the campfire just for kicks when we were kids.

As to throwing live .22 rounds in a fire; I have a story about that too.

A friend's teenage sons were throwing .22 rounds into a campfire for fun one time years ago, and when one popped the one boy felt something cut his ear.

It was just a small cut but it bled so they bandaged it up. After a few days it just wouldn't heal. One morning they were sitting at breakfast and dad looks over and sees a tiny glint of gold on his son's ear lobe, like he's got an earring. He takes a tweezer and pulls a quarter-inch long sliver of brass out of the era lobe, then it healed up fine.

Lesson learned: never throw live ammo into a fire. The bullet is probably the least of your worries.

I knew a 12-year old that put a can of beans by the fire to warm up. He made one mistake! He didn't make a vent hole in the lid . . . There were beans all over camp and the surrounding trees but none in what was left of the can!?!?!?!?

Sheldon

Last Edited:
As to throwing live .22 rounds in a fire; I have a story about that too.

A friend's teenage sons were throwing .22 rounds into a campfire for fun one time years ago, and when one popped the one boy felt something cut his ear.

It was just a small cut but it bled so they bandaged it up. After a few days it just wouldn't heal. One morning they were sitting at breakfast and dad looks over and sees a tiny glint of gold on his son's ear lobe, like he's got an earring. He takes a tweezer and pulls a quarter-inch long sliver of brass out of the era lobe, then it healed up fine.

Lesson learned: never throw live ammo into a fire. The bullet is probably the least of your worries.
Better brass in your earlobe than in your eye. We were stupid kids who progressed on to even stupider things. You could mail order black powder from Dixie Gun Works no questions asked back in the day.

I knew a 12-year old that put a can of beans by the fire to warm up. He made one mistake! He didn't make a vent hole in the lid . . . There were beans all over camp and the surrounding trees but none left in the can!?!?!?!?

Sheldon

That's awesome! I saw the same thing once, only it was chicken noodle soup hanging from the trees. Sounded like a shotgun! The young man who did that is now a county mounty, but I won't mention any names, in case he's reading this...

Better brass in your earlobe than in your eye. We were stupid kids who progressed on to even stupider things. You could mail order black powder from Dixie Gun Works no questions asked back in the day.

I bought my black powder at the local sporting goods store. I can't imagine a gun shop selling black powder to 14 year old boys nowadays.

I also used to think my parents were strict, but I can't imagine letting my teenage sons play with black powder now either.

Side story........

My wife bought a used Jeep Rubicon this last May from a dealer in Utah. A few days after getting it home we were on a joyride at the coast when the center console decided it didn't want to close. I started trouble shooting the issue and found a 6.5 Creedmoor round loose behind the hinges that the previous owner must have lost. I thought it probably a sign of good luck.

E

I see a bullet picked up out of the dirt, a piece of brass bent with pliers, a picture with lame story.
I see a very possible action with that round. My son had a few loose rounds in the ash tray of his car once, one rattled into the cigar lighter, shorted it out and he had the same action, no one was hurt but he and his buddy exited the car in rapid fashion wondering just what that explosion was about. the trick here is not to leave the cigar lighter uncovered when live ammo is close and the road is bumpy. 12 V car battery juice is enough to melt a screwdriver and will certainly light off a primer. The damage is very consistent with a out of chamber detonation, the slug stays put and the case ruptures.

I got so many 12GA shell's rolling around the back seat of my truck in the door handle under the seat glove box cup holder lol I could Box them up and resupply a shelf at Walmart mmmmm some of them been there for over two years haven't blown up my truck yet

I saw my dad jump up out of a lawn chair and do an Indian war dance one evening, all because he put a couple of large watch batteries in his Bermuda shorts front pocket along with his car keys and spare change. Man did he whoop and holler.
:eek:Man, I truly hope that your Dad wasnt injured! But that there musta been funny, I don't care WHO ya are!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top