JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are you a robot or is this yet another thread where OP asks a question and flakes the f out?
You might have a point.
He posted his question 15 minutes after joining this forum and last visited on Friday.
However, its all pretty recent, so maybe let's give the guy a bit of a chance. He might be out looking at ccw's right now.
If he's not back in a week, then yeah, I'm with you. Flakey Jakey. Joins to get momentary advice to one question, only sticks around to read a couple of answers and is gone like the wind.
Time will tell.

You might have a point.
He posted his question 15 minutes after joining this forum and last visited on Friday.
However, its all pretty recent, so maybe let's give the guy a bit of a chance. He might be out looking at ccw's right now.
If he's not back in a week, then yeah, I'm with you. Flakey Jakey. Joins to get momentary advice to one question, only sticks around to read a couple of answers and is gone like the wind.
Time will tell.
Some things just strike me as odd given the totality of respective circumstances, as it were.

How much time do you have behind handguns and different calibers?

I would suggest going to a range and trying multiple. It really comes down to personal preference. What works for me may not work for you. For example a carry a Glock 17 with a Surefire X300 weapon light (9mm).

There is much more that goes into concealed carry than simply a pistol and caliber. Holster, belt, clips, location on the body, IWB or OWB. It's all gunna be trial and error. Lots of money spent. It's a "journey."

Also your mentality and situational awareness is more important than any piece of gear you carry. Guns, knives, less lethal, etc. are all just tools. And like everything in life one tool is not ideal for every situation.
Not much time. But ive been watching a lot of youtube videos on technique and stuff like that. I can watch videos all i want, but figured asking the common folk would be a good source of information. Ill definitely try and get to a gun range more often

Not much time. But ive been watching a lot of youtube videos on technique and stuff like that. I can watch videos all i want, but figured asking the common folk would be a good source of information. Ill definitely try and get to a gun range more often
@Patrickstar26 -- You need to get some formal training. You can't learn to be safe with guns from watching YouTube videos. It's like learning to drive. You need someone to show you in person, starting with an unloaded gun, and be there correcting you when you screw up, which you will. It can be a course or a very experienced shooter. When I teach someone there is a good hour or more of gun handling with a weapon loaded with snap caps before there is any shooting. The YouTube videos can be very useful after learning the basics in person. (Snap caps are ammo shaped gadgets you use instead of real ammo; they have springs inside that protect the hammer and firing pin from the harshness of the hammer dropping with no cartridge in the gun.)

Seeing that you are in Salem area, I suggest you check out Tritac Shooting Solutions.
They are an indoor range, gun store and training facility as well as have guns to rent. They have classes as well as individual training. You can use their ammo or bring your own. The latter matters because range practice ammo usually is underpowered and doesn't shoot to the same point of aim as standard hunting or self defense loads. You aren't allowed to use hand loads however.

I haven't been to TriTac. But they are where I would go to try out a few unfamiliar guns I was interested in. Alas, they have no revolvers for rent. They do have several 9mm. They have a suppressed FNX45Tac I'd love to try. And I've never fired a machine gun. They also have some .22 pistols and rifles, including the famous 10/22. The most often owned gun is the Ruger 10/22. It only costs a couple hundred dollars and is actually a great gun for everything from learning on to taking small game. There are many versions including a break down backpackers version. Its way easier and cheaper learning to use a .22 rifle than a handgun.

That's a good start.
If you're a reader, Bill Jordan wrote a very good book on the subject of handguns, back in the 1960's.
"No Second Place" is almost required reading, if you really want to know how to handle that snubbie in the emergency situation you're carrying it for.
Luckily, you can keep the $60 Amazon wants for a copy, and just follow the following link, to read it....

Waited to see if the OP would reply. Welcome to the forum :)

Some will disagree with me, but a sub compact 9mm will go more places for a young person starting out with handguns. A young person has all kinds of time to learn to shoot, carry, conceal.. but a live fire training class will get you light years ahead of your peers.
But before you do any of that get Brancas book on use of force and memorize it. https://lawofselfdefense.com/law-of-self-defense-book/

Waited to see if the OP would reply. Welcome to the forum :)

Some will disagree with me, but a sub compact 9mm will go more places for a young person starting out with handguns. A young person has all kinds of time to learn to shoot, carry, conceal.. but a live fire training class will get you light years ahead of your peers.
But before you do any of that get Brancas book on use of force and memorize it. https://lawofselfdefense.com/law-of-self-defense-book/

Agree. Have to have the gun with you for it to be of any use at all when it may be needed. Smaller guns are easier to carry, but harder to shoot well, than big guns. If a person can carry a big gun with them all the time then that's great, but if it's not carried all the time and a smaller gun would be then the smaller one is of more use.

Agree. Have to have the gun with you for it to be of any use at all when it may be needed. Smaller guns are easier to carry, but harder to shoot well, than big guns. If a person can carry a big gun with them all the time then that's great, but if it's not carried all the time and a smaller gun would be then the smaller one is of more use.
yup, I also think its more complicated for a young single person starting out in life to carry a gun than older. Everythings a tradeoff in life but a small gun goes more places is always true.

Perhaps OP should try handling a Glock 19 and sig p365/Springfield hellcat. That would give OP a feel for mid-size and sub compact sized guns and a sense for is the mid-sized gun too big for him to want carry consistently. Those guns are some of the most popular in their size category. Just a place to start. Shooting them (and others) at the range is best if possible.

Perhaps OP should try handling a Glock 19 and sig p365/Springfield hellcat. That would give OP a feel for mid-size and sub compact sized guns and a sense for is the mid-sized gun too big for him to want carry consistently. Those guns are some of the most popular in their size category. Just a place to start. Shooting them (and others) at the range is best if possible.
I'd add a 9mm Shield + to that trio as another viable option…

Test alot of different platforms.

Find something that fits your hand, is comfortable and that you shoot well. Make sure you will actually carry it. You can always upgrade or change platforms later on down the road when you get more time behind the gun.

It's not uncommon to change platforms, holsters, belts, clothes, carry locations, gun size etc. as you evolve in your carry process. It's all trial and error.

The most important thing is to actually carry. And carry something you're proficient with. It's a balance that takes time.

I'm 54 years old. Carried a duty handgun for a twenty year career and also a EDC for a lot longer than that. I was sitting here reflecting on what everyone said about how your tastes will change in regards to how, what and where you carry your handgun. Myself personally it was kind of a circular process. I started out with a Glock 19 and then over the years added and took away different platforms and holsters. Now that I've retired once again the Glock 19 is my home defense gun which lives in a safe on my nightstand. My carry choice is an Sig Sauer P365 .380. with a IWB sticky holster or a leather OWB holster. I have several other guns that are range toys but I have holsters for all of those as well. Just in case I feel like carrying one of those. Listen to the advice above there is a lot of knowledge on this forum. Good luck and stay frosty.

Last Edited:
My carry gun has gone the full gamut. I've landed with full sized guns, a 4" 1911 or the 92G compact, both are the size of a G19, with the Beretta pushing the G17 for slide length. Get a good belt & holster and carry on.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews