JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Great replies everybody thank you! In my case I would have been better off having a roll of paper towels and duct tape than what I had which was nothing. Will definitely get a basic kit on order for all our vehicles.

black garbage bags, tarps, paper towels.... truck guns, blood on the seat.....
this isnt adding up in the right direction...
reminds me of Winston Wolf character in Pulp Fiction.

(just being sarcastic)

Just going to throw in that plastic cling wrap over wounds bandaged
Or otherwise can be very helpful to keep them free of dirt when you need to move someone distances.

I hadn't thought of that.

If the wound is not 100% clean or your going very far, not letting the wound breathe will result in a quick infection.

I won't even let my tatt guy cover me up in plastic anymore for the 30 min home because it just seems to be redder and more inflamed then if I leave it to the air.

I'm thinking road rash is a step above a large tatt but the care and recovery are pretty close minus the digging gravel out - which hurt more then the original injury:eek:.

Crap, yesterday the wife brought out both 1st aid kits and said that the athletic tape was old and decrepit and they were trashed, etc etc and I realized I need to update one and leave it in my truck. Thanks for the reminder!!!!

As a climber, I have near new tape and Tincure of Benzoine, ready to tape damned near anything, but it wasn't in the first aid kits which is the first place you'd look in an emergency.

I would just get a basic 1st aid kit. If you get the more complicated items your libel to do more harm then good unless you know what you are doing.

Good posts all round! Medic 1 makes a pretty good kit in various sizes ( and prices) also the RED CROSS sells different kits as well! I would keep things simple, as others have posted, unless you are trained, it's likely you will do more harm then good! DO NOT USE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE!!! This is toxic and in large enough amounts, will kill! use anti septic towelettes and cleaning wipes For wound cleaning, Iodine soap ( not pure iodine) and swabs will work! Do not cover a wound after wrapping or applying bandages, you want air circulation! Wrapping with plastic insures issues! If you are thinking of adding sutures, just get the needles and start practicing on soft thin leather before you try and do it for real, I have seen many attempt to do it, and they almost always make things worse. For most non life threatening injuries you have about 6 hours to reach medical care, for life threatening trauma, you have less then 1 hour to get urgent care, use that time wisely, if you don't know, dont do any thing but try and stop leaking, NOTHING ELSE!

I have a Red Cross first aid in each vehicle! I can't speak to the quality these days, mine are about 15 years old. I bought them because they were top notch quality and comprehensive. I bought good ones because I might be working on my own family or friends.
Like you should with all first aid kits, I check out and resupply near about yearly.
BTW, You can buy them at any Red Cross blood donation center!

Start with some training first then what you need to put in a kit will be obvious. The more training and even more importantly experience you have the less stuff you will absolutely have to have to deal with most problems as a non professional with a duty to respond and liability insurance. With a little thought and planning you could deal with that situation using your t shirt (probably costs less than most big bandages).
Additional, putting anything other than soap and water with the possible addition of an antibiotic ointment makes the problem worse unless the injury happens on the floor of a stock barn or an outhouse pit.

One suggestion I can give having put together some misc. first aid kits for my vehicles in the past is that, aside from the usual stuff - band-aids, tape, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, aspirin (real stuff, not Ibuprofin - may be used for stroke and/or heart attack), small splints, elastic wrap, larger gauze pads, maybe a triangle bandage and even a splint, I learned to add some items that can be good for larger wounds - tampons and pads can be inexpensive ways to add large, absorbent, material that can help to stop a large wound from bleeding and start to clot - you just need some good material to wrap it and keep pressure on the wound. For a similar situation where you may have to move someone in your vehicle, I've was told to add a few dog potty training mats - disposable and can be put underneath a person to help protect your car. I would also add if you can, a CPR barrier/mask (not too expensive), Popsicle sticks (can be used for finger splints), scissors and a knife for cutting materials, and maybe a pre-packaged eye flush kit. I also try to pack something like aloe vera for sunburns, etc.

Just some simple ideas from an untrained (well, except for standard first aid) Joe.

very similar to the plastic case I have on board all my rigs. I keep bottled water on board as well to rinse down wounds before I spray with h-peroxide. Spray bottles of peroxide are available at Wal-Mart. I was also able to add quick-clot to my kits. All my first aid kits have been used and replenished at one time or the other. I keep an identical kit on the boat too. Gauze, Ace (or similar)wrap, splints, peroxide, Neosporin, Asprin, and Naproxin are the things I have had to use most. We cut firewood and we fish a lot. Seems like those activities over the years have required the most use of these kits. First Responder or EMT training goes a long way too. o_O

Funny, but i never realized how valuable my skills were to the civillian world. But something has to happen first.
......,, In my world poo always hit the fan.

Hey, I forgot, I added two large space blankets to each kit and we keep an old wool blanket in each vehicle. I've actually used the blankets twice and the wife used hers once. Other than picnic's that is.

I keep multiple space blankets in cars, truck, and boat. It really takes two of those little guys to keep ya' warm. Especially if the patient is cold, wet, hypothermic. I also keep Trioxane bars and small metal tea cups around. Hot tea helps with warming the core when help is a long way out. I can't encourage training enough! Serious injuries in the woods or off-shore really suck. It only takes one event for folks to start getting really serious about this topic. Be safe!

In the olden days,
Stop
the bleeding (gauze, bandages, compression, tourniquete)
Start the breathing (establish, clear airway, CPR)
Protect the wound (immobilize, splint, etc)
Treat for shock (Elevate legs, maintain warmth)
Marines carried one abdominal trauma dressing, or one triangular bandage with a big safety pin.

today...Marines carry <broken link removed> (individual first aid kits)
Active bandages ( <broken link removed> ) wear gloves, don't rub eyes or pick nose!
Compressed gauze
Cat-T tourniquet
airways
and know how to use them.
I'm proud of these youngsters!

Galls first aid kit
LA Police Gear first aid kit
Adventure Medical sportsman

American Red Cross suggestions to make your own kit

This is a link to Amp3 products developed by David Pruett MD. Former Navy trauma doctor and ER physician. Absolutely hands down the best first aid first responder products I have ever seen or used. I have a lot of their products and have used them multiple times.

I am a former old school EMT, my wife was a nurse and my son in a paramedic and we all think these are the best prepared, packed and marketed emergency medicine products.

People get carried away, remember one person can only do so much even with all the best things you can have or use.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top