JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last night I had dropped my son's buddy off at his house and on my way back home when I came across I bicyclist who was getting up from a nasty spill. He had been riding on the paved trail near my house and when he went to cross the gravel road apparently he got into some of the deeper gravel and went down pretty hard. His left shoulder took the brunt of the hit along with some pretty good road rash on the back side of his arm. He was a little stunned and I asked where his car was. Turns out he was about 7 miles away so I insisted that I take him to his vehicle. I was in the farm truck and so I wasn't too worried about the blood which did end up on the seat but I felt a little unprepared as I didn't have anything to help clean up or patch the damage.

I may make one up as most of the ones I view online seem to be about how many pieces of cheap stuff they can claim are in the kit.

I'm looking for ideas from this smart group… and go!

Farm truck . . . Did you have a gun on board? (Don't answer that)
SO . . . you gambled that you wouldn't be arrested and charged with kidnappinig!?!?!?!?

In the immortal words of Elmer Fudd, "Be vewwy vewwy careful!"

Sheldon

One suggestion I can give having put together some misc. first aid kits for my vehicles in the past is that, aside from the usual stuff - band-aids, tape, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, aspirin (real stuff, not Ibuprofin - may be used for stroke and/or heart attack), small splints, elastic wrap, larger gauze pads, maybe a triangle bandage and even a splint, I learned to add some items that can be good for larger wounds - tampons and pads can be inexpensive ways to add large, absorbent, material that can help to stop a large wound from bleeding and start to clot - you just need some good material to wrap it and keep pressure on the wound. For a similar situation where you may have to move someone in your vehicle, I've was told to add a few dog potty training mats - disposable and can be put underneath a person to help protect your car. I would also add if you can, a CPR barrier/mask (not too expensive), Popsicle sticks (can be used for finger splints), scissors and a knife for cutting materials, and maybe a pre-packaged eye flush kit. I also try to pack something like aloe vera for sunburns, etc.

Just some simple ideas from an untrained (well, except for standard first aid) Joe.

I bought this STS brand trauma kit for my hunting pack, but want to buy another one for the truck...

I figure most first aid injuries can be improvised but not major trauma.... often from auto accidents, or gunshot wounds.

<broken link removed>

you can piece the kit together individually, but I added it up to only about a $10 saving but what I like about this kit (that I cant buy or make at home) is its vacuum sealed in tough plastic making the kit waterproof and small as possible and self contained. Well worth the shipping cost.

One suggestion I can give having put together some misc. first aid kits for my vehicles in the past is that, aside from the usual stuff - band-aids, tape, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, aspirin (real stuff, not Ibuprofin - may be used for stroke and/or heart attack), small splints, elastic wrap, larger gauze pads, maybe a triangle bandage and even a splint, I learned to add some items that can be good for larger wounds - tampons and pads can be inexpensive ways to add large, absorbent, material that can help to stop a large wound from bleeding and start to clot - you just need some good material to wrap it and keep pressure on the wound. For a similar situation where you may have to move someone in your vehicle, I've was told to add a few dog potty training mats - disposable and can be put underneath a person to help protect your car. I would also add if you can, a CPR barrier/mask (not too expensive), Popsicle sticks (can be used for finger splints), scissors and a knife for cutting materials, and maybe a pre-packaged eye flush kit. I also try to pack something like aloe vera for sunburns, etc.

Just some simple ideas from an untrained (well, except for standard first aid) Joe.

Hydrogen peroxide is a cytotoxin, and should NEVER be poured into an open would of ANY kind. Use it as a mouthwash, fine. Clear out built up earwax, great. Never ever used it on a cut.

I bought this STS brand trauma kit for my hunting pack, but want to buy another one for the truck...

I figure most first aid injuries can be improvised but not major trauma.... often from auto accidents, or gunshot wounds.

<broken link removed>

you can piece the kit together individually, but I added it up to only about a $10 saving but what I like about this kit (that I cant buy or make at home) is its vacuum sealed in tough plastic making the kit waterproof and small as possible and self contained. Well worth the shipping cost.
The only problem I have with putting nasopharyngeal airways into medical kits for people untrained in using them (They ARE a nationally registered EMT skill) is that once you get one in, then what? They're not breathing, but you established an airway, ok... Are you going to start blowing through their nose? Also, never use one if there's blood coming out of the nose, or ears, as it could conceal cerebrospinal fluid, which signifies a skull fracture. The cribiform plate of the ethmoid bone is about as thin as a potato chip, and a 28F NPA can punch through a broken one.

I had coupons from Christmas time so I bought this one...

<broken link removed>

Used it more than a few times. Could probably put one together cheaper but the Pelican case made it worth it to me. Stuffed a few other things into it as well, rides in the back of the jeep.

It even had tweezers when my buddy got an earplug lodged too deep in the ear canal.

In many of my past lives I bought a ton of safety, fire and EMT stuff from Galls. I still carry a trauma bag in the truck complete with ambo-bag (since I don't suck face with anybody). The O2 tank now sits in the garage since I'm no longer a first responder.

You can usually buy the complete kit with all supplies or just the bag and fill it yourself.

Medical Kits, BLS, ALK, First Aid, and Trauma Kits (http://www.galls.com/medical-kits)

The only problem I have with putting nasopharyngeal airways into medical kits for people untrained in using them (They ARE a nationally registered EMT skill) is that once you get one in, then what? They're not breathing, but you established an airway, ok... Are you going to start blowing through their nose? Also, never use one if there's blood coming out of the nose, or ears, as it could conceal cerebrospinal fluid, which signifies a skull fracture. The cribiform plate of the ethmoid bone is about as thin as a potato chip, and a 28F NPA can punch through a broken one.

noted...
I got mine for the dressing and torniquet in case of gunshot wound hunting or target shooting. I could use some study on the application.

I put my own together 99% of the time.

Few reasons:

No filler as mentioned already.

I only put things in them that I know how to use and have a comfortable grasp on how to use said items - also mentioned above but phased a bit different.

I buy in bulk and that way I can replace anything I used as soon as I'm able.

All the online pre made kits can give you a good idea on items you may find useful and may have not thought about.

I am going to maybe be wrong but for a gravel road rash injury, hydrogen peroxide sounds appropriate as it will help flush bacteria or other stuff out of the wound and leave you with a nice clean wound to then patch up.

I am going to maybe be wrong but for a gravel road rash injury, hydrogen peroxide sounds appropriate as it will help flush bacteria or other stuff out of the wound and leave you with a nice clean wound to then patch up.

I did this so often as a kid my mom refused to do it any more and I just treated myself. Maybe I was right, maybe I was wrong but I would clean it out first with soapy water to get all the small pieces of road out, then peroxide the crap out of it, Neosporin and cover.

You're always safe using clean water or normal saline. Hell, you don't even need to carry a bottle of saline anymore since you can buy aerosol spray cans at the drugs store or wally-world usually marketed a "Saline Wound Wash" and some come with an antibiotic mixed into the solution.

Slap on some 2x2s or 4x4s, lightly warp the gauze over the wound with with Kerlix (or equivalent) and send them down the road.

Most bigger stuff needs heavy duty work and much more skill.

Farm truck . . . Did you have a gun on board? (Don't answer that)
SO . . . you gambled that you wouldn't be arrested and charged with kidnappinig!?!?!?!?

In the immortal words of Elmer Fudd, "Be vewwy vewwy careful!"

Sheldon

Honestly breaks my heart to grow up in a family that would pull over and help any and every person on the side of the road and now I worry more about getting arrested for trying to abduct a minor then the poor kid walking down the road in the pouring rain.

Same with people and a small gas can - I always wonder if they are just looking to rob a helpful person.

:(:(:(:(

Some great tips above. Listen to Oregon Quarter Master, he knows his stuff. Helped me partially set up a trauma kit for my truck, and I can pick from that for an IFAK. Thanks!

Also super tips from etrain. On the tampon / maxi pad idea, I've setup large wound packs. I put 2 super maxi pads, a roll or 2 of that "self stick wrap" (sticks to itself, not a sticky tape), and several pairs of nitrile gloves in each. I then vacuum pack it with a food saver. I cut a little notch into the side so I can tear it open easier. Did a few similar packs using surgical dressings.

Got scissors? Harbor freight has reasonabley decent ones for $1.69 or so. Throw 2 in your bag. Will cut jeans & seatbelts easily.

I'm not sure yet if I'll throw some suture kits in mine or not yet. I have had a tendency to camp way out in the boonies in the past, and would like to again. So I may just.

If you can read a BP, then a scope & cuff would be handy. It's been too long since I have, but I might throw a set in at some point.

Hydrogen peroxide is a cytotoxin, and should NEVER be poured into an open would of ANY kind. Use it as a mouthwash, fine. Clear out built up earwax, great. Never ever used it on a cut.

I've heard it's good to go on small wounds (scrapes, cuts, etc.), but that's strictly from the first aid training I've taken. But since I'm no expert, I'll rather defer to those who know better than me.

I would add, that it's probably a good idea to take some kind of first aid/CPR training if you haven't already. In my industry (construction), it's required, as is AED. It's good to get refreshers on various wounds, injuries, and some illnesses like heat exhaustion/stroke, diabetic emergencies, etc. It's good to have the kit, but better if you know how to use it too. Again, no expert here, but I've got enough basic training to handle many non-major-trauma type emergencies.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top