JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you like to have a local community long range shooters get together?

• Total voters
Sorry to bring up an old thread but has this gone anywhere? I have a .308 and have shot some mid range but would love to tag along with distance shooters and learn what I'm lacking knowledge wise.

I've been interested in mid range/long range for a long time but none of my friends are really all that interested in it so I don't have anyone to go with.

Last Edited:
Sorry to bring up an old thread but has this gone anywhere? I have a .308 and have shot some mid range but would love to tag along with distance shooters and learn what I'm lacking knowledge wise.

I've been interested in mid range/long range for a long time but none of my friends are really all that interested in it so I don't have anyone to go with.
Too bad you are so far away. We are planning on a trip for 800+ yards soon

I humbly disagree. I am a long-range shooter & continue to find all kinds of places to shoot long-range in the Tillamook, Clatsop, and Mt Hood forest.
I consider long-range out to 1000yd. However, I know of several places where 1.25 miles is possible. Legal shots that have a good backstop, don't cross any roads or waterways, etc.
It is difficult for me to find dedicated long-range shooters who like being in fresh outdoor settings, instead of a
Professional range with lots of fees, rules, and waiting lists.
I agree. I am just getting into centerfire but have gone out with others who shoot while I shoot my airgun. I will find ranges from 100-1000 yards all over but without explanation they deny shooting there. I think people look for the areas where it's really easy access to target and completely flat all the way. If one doesn't mind setting up not far from the road and shooting to a clear cut at a distance with a reasonable path to set up, there are spots. I'm certain I won't have problems shooting my centerfire once it warms up. I'll mostly stick to 300 tops though until my reloads and skills allow further.

So I have been considering a 308 long range rifle as that is the piece and skill I am lacking. Any recommendations on where to start for a good rifle base? Hoping to be reasonable which will allow me to invest more in good optics and bipod.

I've had the same question and what I've found is that a 270win is the most versatile and powerful for what I want. It beats a 308 in fpe at distance, beats the 6.5 in velocity and fpe. You can keep the 1:10 twist and shoot 90 or 100gr varmint loads at almost 4000fps or heavy 160ish vld bullets with great long range accuracy still at a good velocity. Sure the 6.5 has a less recoil and bullets have a .0000000001 better bc (exaggeration for trolling purpose)and it's used by bench shooters because of said bullet BC and barrel life (a factor I've come to think bench shooters look at with importance)but from what I've seen a 270 basically has both the aboves beat and you can go with something different then the standards: 308win, 6.5creemoor, 243win, 260Rem, 338L, etc Don't get me wrong I like them all but for me it's a 270win. Granted I have yet to implement opinion to practice... Also with the 308 you can get a shorter 20-22in barrel and be ok (which opens the door to many great savage offerings which I've heard nothing but praise for)but with the 270 you'd want a 24' or longer which leaves you with a Winchester XPR, Bergara B14 (my choice), Remington 700 and maybe a couple others but no savages. I worked up a list of bullets for each cartridge that I'd want to shoot, some for various hunting purposes, some for long range target, some for short range target, etc and when I finished I found that the 270win had all others beat by a large margin. I liked some of the others but would need 2 barrels, for instance a 22-250 with 50gr match bullets using a 1:14 twist but if I wanted to shoot any other bullets with optimal twist rate I'd have to change the twist rate. Other calibers have more options but not as many options for 1 single rate of twist so it's misleading to say a 308 or 6.5 has "more bullet options", I'd completely diasagree and can show you my evidence to suggest just the opposite. EDIT: Also it matters if you want semi auto or not...

Last Edited:
270's a great round, hard to say anything negative about it. My dislikes are the long action and the extra powder needed to make it perform like a .308. The '06 case is not a real efficient case, it uses ~ 11 more grains of powder to achieve very little advantage over the .308 and recoils much more. The 270 has pretty significant recoil also. There are probably better match grade bullets available in 30 cal relative to 27 cal which may limit real long range accuracy. I'm just not a real big fan of long actions for anything other than hunting only because I like 300 Win and 338 RUM (only 2 long actions I own).

For 300 yds you'll be fine w/the 270, there's no reason it can't be a precision shooter.

270's a great round, hard to say anything negative about it. My dislikes are the long action and the extra powder needed to make it perform like a .308. The '06 case is not a real efficient case, it uses ~ 11 more grains of powder to achieve very little advantage over the .308 and recoils much more. The 270 has pretty significant recoil also. There are probably better match grade bullets available in 30 cal relative to 27 cal which may limit real long range accuracy. I'm just not a real big fan of long actions for anything other than hunting only because I like 300 Win and 338 RUM (only 2 long actions I own).

For 300 yds you'll be fine w/the 270, there's no reason it can't be a precision shooter.

long vs short action is an argument. I also just noticed your statement about efficiency, I never thought about that before but it's certainly interesting. I guess I always thought that a unit of powder had same resultsno matter what but that isn't the case... I have a personal attachment to the 270 though and long action history of 30-06. Also as was described to me in another post, recoil depends on the gun. I had a Remington 770 in 270 and my step dad had a savage axis in 308 and for sure his gun kicked harder and was louder. We recently added a new stock and recoil pad to his gun and it's made recoil a non issue for me though. Also the bullet selection is good nowadays. Not to mention BC is only a professionals game number imo, like I said though I have no experience I've just been researching like a mad man for a few months. I've seen a ton of people shooting what the some would call lower or mid BC bullets and shooting them at a velocity that don't make much difference at 600ish yards and longer. One guy chose the 130gr ssts for the 1000kyd milk jug challenge in his 270 because he found the velocity made up for the BC of the higher grain VLD, Interbond, or Matrix bullets that are all high bc 270 offerings.

Last Edited:
Here is another place I stretch out to 1,300 yards, located a few miles behind the Browns Camp quarry. In this video I shoot 750 yards in crazy cross winds. If you like either of these videos I will post directions on how to get to these places to shoot.
I know that first video spot very well. Been there several times, 2x with my son. Trying to get a bunch of guys to go out but weather & work have made it difficult. 2nd Spot looks very familiar, but I go ~10 miles past Brown's camp on 6 to get to it. Last time I was out that way, picked some amanita muscaria.
There's another spot near the first, where you can shoot >1 mile from ridge into the side of another ridge, but at one point you're bullet will cross over a logging road ~400' above it.
We've talked about going out, and I'd love to learn to read the wind from you. Was trying to do 1K in Wyoming, winds were 20+mph @90° L->R where I was shooting, dead at the target. Closest I got in 5 shots was 40 yards to the right.

700-900yds around here would be nice with a area to drive to drop off steel plates. I can find many spots but they are hike in steel. Have onX Hunt if anyone would care to share location PM me.

I think you might have luck in the northern section of Yacult Burn up in WA, but you gotta take me with you.

Just found a range that has steel at 550yds, 650yds, 750yds, and 1000yds....but its in Spokane and most of you guys are western Washington and Oregon. My first time shooting 500+yds and I must say there is nothing like hearing steel clang at 750yds with an AK using iron sights. I really want to build a rifle for 1000yds now.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top