JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you like to have a local community long range shooters get together?

• Total voters
Reactions
Hey everyone I'm curious if anyone here would like to start a friendly group of gentleman for a long range shooting group? From basic to expert. Just friendly milk jug competitions between everyone in the group guys and girls welcome teenagers welcome as well with a parent of course.

Leupold-170313-30317008352-Pic2.jpg 420 Blitzkrieg vs 375 Barrett Imp vs 50 BMG.jpg 6c.jpg PEO_M110_SASS_Profile.jpg MOAR.png

I would guess that you won't have a hard time finding people to do this with. Problem is its getting really difficult to find a place with any distance to do so.

Welcome to the forum though:)

Do you have a location to do long range shooting?
I humbly disagree. I am a long-range shooter & continue to find all kinds of places to shoot long-range in the Tillamook, Clatsop, and Mt Hood forest.
I consider long-range out to 1000yd. However, I know of several places where 1.25 miles is possible. Legal shots that have a good backstop, don't cross any roads or waterways, etc.
It is difficult for me to find dedicated long-range shooters who like being in fresh outdoor settings, instead of a
Professional range with lots of fees, rules, and waiting lists.

Yeah as soon as I can figure out how to shoot long range.....

I think it would be a lot of fun. North of vancouver there's a ton of clear cuts that give you long range, it's just the safety of long range shooting that can get hairy when were in such a hiker friendly area. Signs, or tape would be needed.

Your bio pic looks like safefire.
I just went there for the first time. Nice range there.

And Welcome!

The picture is from a range I worked at out in Florida. It would be nice to be able to teach people how to shoot 100 yards all the way out to a thousand plus and how to do everything correctly especially reloading and getting the terminology right

just my thoughts on this and the whole long range thing. LRS is subjective to the individual and their knowledge, skills, abilities and equipment. What I would suggest is conducting multiple events. This would allow people to work their respective equipment and have a starting point and during the breaks between courses locate/scout areas for the next shooting event.

class 1: basics 0-500 yds/mtrs(fundamentals, equipment setup, recoil management, proper zero or whatever)
class 2: intermediate 500-1000 yds/mtrs
class 3: advanced 1000-1500ish
class 4: ELR 1500yds/mtrs and beyond
something like that, then discuss precision reloading somewhere in between. The reloading class thread pointed out there are a lot of assumed risk in going that direction in this age of no responsibility and frivolous legal lawsuits.

a lot of shooters don't realize that driving a bolt gun vs a semi auto are unique to each platform which is something to discuss. as is the myriads of discussions of optics, calibers, mounts, rifle components and on and on. there are a million thoughts and ideas on this subject and not everyone will agree on them. The point will be to convey the information in such a manner that all realizes its "one way" not the "only way" to prevent course derailment.

then there is logistics and contingency plans if life gets in the way and the guy who was going to bring 10x steel targets doesn't show.

that's my thoughts, it doesn't count for anything but I did stay in a holiday inn express sometime in my life. :D

I have a small group of about 3-6 of us here in central or. We have permanent plates at 1000 and 1300 yards now and are building more to place at 500 700 and 800 ( these are heavy and set in concrete so we can leave them there) we go out the night before and set up know your limits racks and sighter targets. Camp, have a good time, then spend the next day shooting.
We are trying to make it a point to go out once a month or so. It's on public land and anyone is welcome..

I humbly disagree. I am a long-range shooter & continue to find all kinds of places to shoot long-range in the Tillamook, Clatsop, and Mt Hood forest.
I consider long-range out to 1000yd. However, I know of several places where 1.25 miles is possible. Legal shots that have a good backstop, don't cross any roads or waterways, etc.
It is difficult for me to find dedicated long-range shooters who like being in fresh outdoor settings, instead of a
Professional range with lots of fees, rules, and waiting lists.

I never said you couldn't find it. I said it's getting harder to find. A lot of the places over here to do so are private property and won't let you. ;)

Here is a clip of me shooting 1000 yards with my .308. The place is just a few miles past the official North Fork / Wolf Creek outdoor 100 yard ranges.
Here is another place I stretch out to 1,300 yards, located a few miles behind the Browns Camp quarry. In this video I shoot 750 yards in crazy cross winds. If you like either of these videos I will post directions on how to get to these places to shoot.

So I have been considering a 308 long range rifle as that is the piece and skill I am lacking. Any recommendations on where to start for a good rifle base? Hoping to be reasonable which will allow me to invest more in good optics and bipod.

308 is a great caliber to start out with long range there are so many different Avenues you can chase with it, it's unbelievable. My brother got a Mossberg Patriot Night Train in 308 I have to say it's a very flat level shooter for under $800 that's with a bipod and scope I've watched that rifle get pushed out past a thousand yards or you can look at something such as the Ruger precision and be able to reach well over a thousand with a 308 platform and a good piece of glass.

308 is a great caliber to start out with long range there are so many different Avenues you can chase with it, it's unbelievable. My brother got a Mossberg Patriot Night Train in 308 I have to say it's a very flat level shooter for under $800 that's with a bipod and scope I've watched that rifle get pushed out past a thousand yards or you can look at something such as the Ruger precision and be able to reach well over a thousand with a 308 platform and a good piece of glass.
Thank you I will start looking around as see what I can find.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top