JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you like to have a local community long range shooters get together?

• Total voters
So here's a topic I can go on about but I'll keep it to a few thoughts. There has been some good advice so far; let me expand a little.

Long range is considered from 600 to 1,000 yards; mid range is 300 to 600 yards. This is based on standard NRA competitions.

Shooting out to 1,000 yards isn't all that hard, but it does take a good grounding in marksmanship fundamentals, a decent rifle system and some preparation. To be honest, unless you're willing to spend some significant money on gear and time, forget about anything beyond 1,000; it's best to focus on mid range for a while to build skill and prove the system.

By system I mean the shooting platform; rifle, ammo, sight, support.

The most critical aspect is developing your fundamentals; get a good quality .22 with adjustable sights and practice. Work on getting to the point where you can regularly hit your target at 200 yards. If you can shoot a good score at 200 yards with a .22 you will do well with a center fire at 1,000.

On the .308 Winchester specifically, it's very marginal at 1,000 yards; this is a simple function of case capacity vs the heavier target bullets. But it will work well with the right ammo. .308 is what I use, really because it's what I have.

There are a number of off the shelf rifles in. .308 Winchester (and many other cartridges) that are accurate enough; I highly recommend working up hand loads and I can go a little deeper into this is anyone wants. The two other rounds I'd suggest looking into, and these are by no means the only ones, are the 6.5mm-08 (260 Remington) and 7mm-06 (280 Remington).

Lastly, don't be intimidated; if nothing else borrow an M1 Garand and go to a CMP clinic as a starting point.

Last Edited:
I'm in the Salem and Corvallis area, and help manage a large grass seed farm. Once we see some early fall rains to reduce fire hazard on said fields i might be able to help with location for a get together- near airlie oregon we have one field we can stretch to 1200 shooting into a hillside. things i dont have - a good spotting scope- hanging steel gongs of some sort- shooting benches . just tossing it out there

20170702_164528.jpg

I'm in the Salem and Corvallis area, and help manage a large grass seed farm. Once we see some early fall rains to reduce fire hazard on said fields i might be able to help with location for a get together- near airlie oregon we have one field we can stretch to 1200 shooting into a hillside. things i dont have - a good spotting scope- hanging steel gongs of some sort- shooting benches . just tossing it out there

View attachment 388996
Dude, I have gongs and I am a human spotting scope :) pick me,, pick me,,

I have somewhere the designs for a reduced scale 22lr range that replicates 100 to 1000 yds

a quality 22 will make blatantly obvious your shortcoming in form and techniques

Last Edited:
Because I made an earlier post about shooting in the woods, I feel compelled to amend - Because the danger of fire is currently SO HIGH!
At this time, and IMHO, The only acceptable backstop is dirt and dirt only! Bullets hitting steel or rocks or dry vegetation Can and will start fires! Also, early morning is the best time to shoot because things are cooler.
I love the forest and don't want to hurt it.

Why not go with a 17HMR its better than the 22 from what I've seen

I expect that the much slower speed of the .22LR better simulates the time to target of a long range center fire round. A .17HMR is about as fast (muzzle speed) as a 139gr bullet in my 20" .260 Remington, and at short range (200 yards) won't force me to get better at reading the wind the way a .22LR would.

I expect that the much slower speed of the .22LR better simulates the time to target of a long range center fire round. A .17HMR is about as fast (muzzle speed) as a 139gr bullet in my 20" .260 Remington, and at short range (200 yards) won't force me to get better at reading the wind the way a .22LR would.

Exactly right. If you're trying to learn how to use a map and compass, leave the GPS at home...

So I have been considering a 308 long range rifle as that is the piece and skill I am lacking. Any recommendations on where to start for a good rifle base? Hoping to be reasonable which will allow me to invest more in good optics and bipod.
I hate to recommend without knowing how much money you could consider reasonable. I will however state that a person should really try to get something of quality and not worry too much about initial price as when you put a few hundred match grade rounds through it and buy all the ancillary equipment, the price is negligible.. Especially if you plan on keeping it for a long while.
The fist year alone I paid more for ammo than many good rifles cost. And I hand load.
I would personally look at the ruger precision rifle. I have a buddy that has one and he loves it. Does everything he needs and he won't out grow it in a long time.

I recently decided to get into precision rifle shooting and picked up a Remmy 700 .308 for the task. The last time I was out I shot (2) 5-shot, 10" groups at 500 yds. through a heat mirage that was so bad it looked like the targets were moving. While I know that isn't especially impressive, I was shooting factory ammo from a bone-stock rifle through a heat mirage and had never shot beyond 300 yds. before. On that trip I was bitten by the LR bug and I'm hoping to take it out to 900 as I build skills and, hopefully, handloads.

The discouraging thing to me has been a lack of places to shoot and a lack of dedication among the shooters I know to pursue LR shooting regularly. I'd love to know where you guys are shooting and if you don't mind company I'd love to meet some other folks from the forum doing what we love.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads