JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK there is no snow I got a cup of coffee and I have a hour and 45 min before I can start driving SO LET'S BEAT THIS DEAD HORSE SOME MORE

Here's a longer version of the story that the OPB linked. Strange enough (or not...) they left out a couple key exchanges that pretty much sums up. Specifically, the following sections:
-------------------------------
For most of the crowd, it was the first time actually seeing an AR-15 up close.

"I've never seen one before," said Susie Coffman, Christ Church's director of Christian education.

"It's a small, symbolic act," he [the pastor] said in July. "There are millions of guns, I know that. But this gun will never be used to kill kids in schools, kill people in a movie theater, kill people at an office party or at any other place of mass shootings.

Yes, they harbor that much prejudice and bigotry towards guns and their owners. Just like the views people had for gays in the 1980's ("you can get AIDS if you share a toilet seat with a gay person" was one I heard). I wonder just how open they are to education from actual gun-owners, instead of the demons they dreamed up?

Here's a longer version of the story that the OPB linked. Strange enough (or not...) they left out a couple key exchanges that pretty much sums up. Specifically, the following sections:
For most of the crowd, it was the first time actually seeing an AR-15 up close.

"I've never seen one before," said Susie Coffman, Christ Church's director of Christian education.

"It's a small, symbolic act," he [the pastor] said in July. "There are millions of guns, I know that. But this gun will never be used to kill kids in schools, kill people in a movie theater, kill people at an office party or at any other place of mass shootings.

Yes, they harbor that much prejudice and bigotry towards guns and their owners. Just like the views people had for gays in the 1980's ("you can get AIDS if you share a toilet seat with a gay person" was one I heard). I wonder just how open they are to education from actual gun-owners, instead of the demons they dreamed up?
Maybe explain to them that .22 pistols are used to kill way more people, and they'll be cheaper to buy for their next event? :D Although from the latest statistics I guess they really should be buying heroin and destroying it.

"It's a small, symbolic act," he [the pastor] said in July. "There are millions of guns, I know that. But this gun will never be used to kill kids in schools, kill people in a movie theater, kill people at an office party or at any other place of mass shootings."

My answer to that would be:
And Just think with all those millions of guns out there , how many are used everyday by responsible gun owners that never commit a crime or violent act with those millions of guns that they own?
Lets compare numbers of legal guns owned and guns used in crimes.
I'd be willing to bet that the number of legal guns and responsible owners far out weighs the criminals who use guns illegally.
Andy

Here is the problem we sit and post stuff about legal guns and those who own them but all of us here on this site already know the truth the problem is none of them are hearing us because they would never join a group like this and the main stream media would never say anything that we told them .so we are just preaching to the choir here LOL SEE HOW I PUT THAT PREACHER THING IN THERE HEHEH

Here is the problem we sit and post stuff about legal guns and those who own them but all of us here on this site already know the truth the problem is none of them are hearing us because they would never join a group like this and the main stream media would never say anything that we told them .so we are just preaching to the choir here LOL SEE HOW I PUT THAT PREACHER THING IN THERE HEHEH

One can always go out and "Spread the Word"

Every summer and at a lot of rendezvous thought out the year , my friend Dave and I take our antique gun collection out and show them to people.
We have talked to many non-gun people and while I do not think that we have ever "converted"
someone to the "cause' , we may have shown some folks that guns and gun owners aren't scary or bad.

You don't have to have a gun collection to do this either.
Just be a good citizen when you are talking about guns or when you are out shooting.
Be respectful , be polite , clean up after shooting , don't be that stereotype "Bubba" that everyone else thinks a gun owner is etc...
Every little bit helps.
Andy

That's cool and all but taking your antique guns out to show people .does not really solve the problem if they had it there way that's all we would have is antique guns .try taking you AR or AK into the park and show people .how long before the police are called and your asked to leave or arrested.

founding-fathers-800.jpg

And if you go to Portland to show your guns it will be the same police that should have arrested this preacher for the law's he broke that will come ask you to leave or arrest you

I never said it would solve the problem.
But just wanted to show that not all gun owners are the stereotype that is shown on popular media.
As I said every little bit helps.

A gun is gun. No matter when it was made.
One of our aims and goals to teach people that there really is no difference between a AR15 , AK copy and a Long Rifle or musket.
A threat to one perceived type of gun is a threat to all.
Another goal and aim of ours is to show that guns no matter what "type" are not evil death ray devices that are out to kill you.

Getting a non gun person to have a conversation about guns while holding a gun is a win in my book , no matter when the gun was made.

Many non gun people come out to a rendezvous or the museums where we show our guns.
Also the local news stations will on occasion show up , I have used these chances to put in "plug" for gun ownership when this happens.
( Guns of any kind , not just muzzle loaders )

Maybe you ought to see us sometime , before you judge what we do....
Andy

Edit to add :
Yes I think it would be a great idea to have a hands on display booth at a gun or a sportsmans venue show , State Fair , etc ... to show that a AK copy or AR15 isn't the bogeyman.

Find a way to give people information is a key to understanding ... the more you understand , the less you fear!
That's cool and all but taking your antique guns out to show people .does not really solve the problem if they had it there way that's all we would have is antique guns .try taking you AR or AK into the park and show people .how long before the police are called and your asked to leave or arrested.

Last Edited:
Continued from my above post , sorry for the ramble.

Pride in ownership , a showing of being free and independent or simply because I can , are a few of the reasons I own the guns that I do.

With practice I can hit that small far gong at range or punch nice tight groups on paper.
Combine that marksmanship with woods skills and I can have meat in the freezer.
Defending oneself or family.
All of these and more , are things that my historic guns might have done.
Some still do some of these things.

Isn't what I typed above , just what we want , ask and expect any gun to do?
Be it a AK copy , AR15 , Remington 700 or a muzzle loader?
These are all points I mention when showing my antique guns.
Andy

Last Edited:
I'm with Andy on this one. Any small step is a big step in the right direction. I had a teacher at my previous community college who was antigun that's now into handguns. Still against ARs and such, but a small step in the right direction still helps.

Especially considering antis also want to do limit/ban handguns too, not just the "evil assault rifles."

I don't see it as preaching to the choir at all. This is a gun forum - a place where gun people come to talk about guns and gun related issues. We're doing exactly what would be expected here. It's a great place to bounce around ideas for how to reach out to non-gun folks. And I know many here do that. I do it myself, at every possible opportunity. For example, in the last year, I've spoken to a number of non-gun owners and exposed them to things about guns they were completely ignorant about. I've even taken people to the range to not only see, but to shoot and AR and an AK. I take it as part of my, well, I'll stop short of saying 'duty', but perhaps part of my privilege to help teach folks that guns are not evil. If every gun owner out there could do the same with 5, 10 folks, we would quickly begin to change the message. Unfortunately the politics of guns gets in the way of our attempts to teach people about them.

We can turn this around, but we have to focus. We have to do it one person at a time. And if we come here to b!tch and moan about it among ourselves, so be it - we need a place to do that - choir or not.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top