JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

Last Edited:
This sounds like Russophobia, or what we did to the US citizens with Japanese heritage during WW2.
There is a difference between telling a few hundred non-citizens from Russia/Belarus, that they can't have guns in your country, and rounding up thousands of Japanese descent, whether they are citizens or not, and putting them in a concentration camp.

There is a difference between telling a few hundred non-citizens from Russia/Belarus, that they can't have guns in your country, and rounding up thousands of Japanese descent, whether they are citizens or not, and putting them in a concentration camp.

We'll sure. Who's to say that's not next? Lithuania is a NATO member. My suspicion for them enacting these laws is they're reducing the likelihood of stay behind agents or cells with Russian or Belarusian backgrounds performing subversion type activities..

The unfortunate side of this is... If you're just a normal person caught up in this mess.

A good majority of those non citizens came after WWII when the baltics was illegally occupied for nearly 50 years.
Hungary and many other places experienced the same thing with a walled off city 100k in the center of Hungary that was only for Soviets and Russians. Their own school, markets, cinema, etc etc.
During the tense negotiations, the Soviets demanded that their citizens be allowed to stay. These people that occupied and didn't even speak Hungarian wants to stay..because...they made it their home.
In the end, Hungary said no.

In the end, these restrictions are happening in the baltics because ethnic slavs were caught smuggling weapons and ammunition into Russia for use in the war. This included 338 Lapua and 300Win Magnums and other precision caliber weapons.

This sounds like Russophobia, or what we did to the US citizens with Japanese heritage during WW2.
The "horror" of what the U.S. did to the U.S. citizen Japanese is largely a U.S. construct in your own history books. Speaking from the other side... war is ugly. Innocents can be caught up in it. But make no mistake that many Japanese understood that it was a necessary precaution, lives were saved and we didn't want any U.S. casualties to occur due to national zealots activities any more than any pink skinned U.S. citizens wanted that.

No one liked it. Abuses and mistreatment occured. That's inevitable when people are placed in power over others... but make no mistake too that not everyone in those camps were "innocents" and had the potential to do great harm to a country we call home. We knew that even better than you.

Just as most Japanese understand the necessity of the atomic bombs and know, as horiffic as they where, that those actions saved millions of lives.

[soapbox OFF]

I say... good on Lithuania! They "get it".

The "horror" of what the U.S. did to the U.S. citizen Japanese is largely a U.S. construct in your own history books. Speaking from the other side... war is ugly. Innocents can be caught up in it. But make no mistake that many Japanese understood that it was a necessary precaution, lives were saved and we didn't want any U.S. casualties to occur due to national zealots activities any more than any pink skinned U.S. citizens wanted that.

No one liked it. Abuses and mistreatment occured. That's inevitable when people are placed in power over others... but make no mistake too that not everyone in those camps were "innocents" and had the potential to do great harm to a country we call home. We knew that even better than you.

Just as most Japanese understand the necessity of the atomic bombs and know, as horiffic as they where, that those actions saved millions of lives.

[soapbox OFF]

As a result of security concerns in coastal areas, about 10,000 Italian-Americans were forced to relocate from their homes along the California coast and move inland. Also, 11,000 people of German ancestry were put into internment camps, many of them American-born children

Location location location.

My wife's grandparents and great-grandparents were recent immigrants from Southern Germany and Austria when WWI broke out. They moved from Portland to rural Polk County to escape the virulent anti-German atmosphere.

War brings out the worst in people.

I also know of one instance where a neighbor farmed an interned Japanese family's property and paid the property taxes so they would have it to return to after their release. Sadly, in almost all cases, the local governments condemned and sold off the property because of unpaid taxes.

Another fact: during the Great Depression, far more people lost their homes or farms because of unpaid property taxes than from mortgage foreclosures.

[soapbox OFF]

Are you kidding?! It is never acceptable to deny citizens their constitutional rights. Period.

[soapbox OFF]

It's all well and good to say it's ok for people to be unjustly denied their rights so long as it's the right people being denied… until it's your turn to be the right people.

I've interviewed quite a few people that were interred at manzanar, they all knew why and every single one i interviewed knew it was wrong but they and their families did not complain because they felt it was their (duty) way of showing their loyalty to the USA. Their form of being patriotic.
My aunt had a classmate that wore a button everyday during the war that said "I am Korean"

But as a country I believe we do learn from our mistakes. That's why people still want to immigrate here.

Here's a link to the executive order 9066

I've interviewed quite a few people that were interred at manzanar, they all knew why and every single one i interviewed knew it was wrong but they and their families did not complain because they felt it was their (duty) way of showing their loyalty to the USA. Their form of being patriotic.
My aunt had a classmate that wore a button everyday during the war that said "I am Korean"

But as a country I believe we do learn from our mistakes. That's why people still want to immigrate here.

Here's a link to the executive order 9066

That's interesting. In the 1990s, I worked in DC with a woman who was key in lobbying for the Civil Liberties Act to acknowledge 9066. A grievous error. I'm sure you must have had a rich experience from those interviews/conversations.

Not that I view it as a direct parallel to the Lithuanian issue, but it is an interesting and worthy segway.

For me the best part was talking to those that were teenagers in the camp,... some parents dug out basement workrooms under their particular rooms, and of course some teenage couples found that a perfect place to "be alone" ,,,, babies were born in the camps. Life finds a way.

....they all knew why and every single one i interviewed knew it was wrong but they and their families did not complain because they felt it was their (duty) way of showing their loyalty to the USA. Their form of being patriotic.
👆 Exactly this.

Realizing too that if there was any suspicion of having foreign allegiences in our country of origin, we simply would have been summarily executed. Temporary camps were more tolerable than the alternative.

Last Edited:
That doesn't mean you need to let armed foreign nationals into your country, or allow them to arm themselves. Especially when they are from a belligerent country actively involved in invading another country nearby
True. But there can be no justification for what the US did to Japanese citizens during WW2, which your post appears to condone.

True. But there can be no justification for what the US did to Japanese citizens during WW2, which your post appears to condone.
"In your opinion", but it's highly debatable. It's really easy to make a judgement looking back through history with rose colored glasses. Not having lived under the conditions that existed during the war I don't know that anyone today can properly make that kind of definitive judgement.

In addition, people of today have no comprehension or frame of reference to understand the level of radical devoutness many Japanese had for the emperor... at that time. Nor can many appreciate or understand a culture that is not their own.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, though. Even when they're wrong. 🤣

Was the internment camps worse than "extraordinary rendition"?

Black sites where prisoners were tortured?

Secret police & warrants? Gag orders?

Secret courts and judges?

We've had these for 20+ years now and every POTUS and SCOTUS has not just allowed them to happen, they have supported them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top