JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The XR350 was a awesome bike!!

I rode an XR500 for a short time; more power but a lot heavier. I preferred the balance of the 350. I rode a CR250 once. It about killed me, literally jumped right out from under me! I could see where a two-stroke had a big advantage on the dunes, but I really preferred the four-stroke on the hills.

I haven't ridden a dirt bike any newer than the mid-'90s. I've heard that the newer bikes have amazing performance compared to the older ones that I'm used to. Kind of like street bikes. I loved my old KZ650 cafe racer, but I've looked at the performance specs on newer sport bikes, and there's just no comparison. It's about like the difference between a P-51 and an F-16, I understand. :)

I rode an XR500 for a short time; more power but a lot heavier. I preferred the balance of the 350. I rode a CR250 once. It about killed me, literally jumped right out from under me! I could see where a two-stroke had a big advantage on the dunes, but I really preferred the four-stroke on the hills.

I haven't ridden a dirt bike any newer than the mid-'90s. I've heard that the newer bikes have amazing performance compared to the older ones that I'm used to. Kind of like street bikes. I loved my old KZ650 cafe racer, but I've looked at the performance specs on newer sport bikes, and there's just no comparison. It's about like the difference between a P-51 and an F-16, I understand. :)
That's correct about the weight of the xr500.
And yes the new bikes are much different. But nothing touches a old CR500

That's correct about the weight of the xr500.
And yes the new bikes are much different. But nothing touches a old CR500
Ah, Hum,.......................My Yamaha '85 IT 465 Smoker was the fastest production dirt bike ever made, and I have personally beaten down every CR500 that ever tried! LOL
Your are correct about the weight, my 403 is so much lighter and easier to toss around, about the same weight as a 125 alloy frame bike, and 4 stroke Rotax power is no joke serious!

Ah, Hum,.......................My Yamaha '85 IT 465 Smoker was the fastest production dirt bike ever made, and I have personally beaten down every CR500 that ever tried! LOL
Your are correct about the weight, my 403 is so much lighter and easier to toss around, about the same weight as a 125 alloy frame bike, and 4 stroke Rotax power is no joke serious!
But that old IT was dated technology. Straight line yes it's faster.

And HEAVY as hell! :eek:
Best balanced was my old Husky WR 450, it was a tractor down low, but you could give it a hand full and it would explode with crazy power! Also HEAVY as hell, but easier to handle! :cool:
My brother had a 1979 YZ400
Bought it from his best bud. That sucker was a hand full also. Kicking it over was hard for my super cocky brother. I used to laugh at him while I did with my wrestling shoes on. Ah those were the days. His buds younger brother had a 1979 YZ60. We rode the piss out of that. For a 60 it was awesome!!!!!!!

Had a super slick little 76 Kawasaki 100 10 speed that was a riot to ride, felt a lot bigger then a 100, and that crazy gear set, you could really go places! I guess they are worth a ton now, I paid $10 for it :)

Do they even make 2-stroke bikes anymore?

I loved working on 2-strokes, compared to 4-strokes. Upper engine work was comparatively easy. The first time I pulled the top off that old XR350, with it's radial 4 valve head, I was cussing it!

I bought that bike sometime around '89 or '90 IIRC, for $200. It had been ridden HARD and was not pretty. Smoked badly and barely ran, timing chain skipped a tooth the first 5 minute ride when I got it home. New cam chain, piston, rings, cylinder bore, and valves, and it was good to go, ran like a champ. Those were the days. I never had much money and was excited to have such a great bike on a slim budget.

Found a couple of old photos of it:
IMG_9134[1].jpg IMG_9133[1].jpg

Almost forgot about it's predecessor, an '81 XR185. I rode the guts out of that thing for years. Excellent little trail bike:
IMG_9131[1].jpg IMG_9135[1].jpg

IMG_9134[1].jpg IMG_9133[1].jpg IMG_9131[1].jpg IMG_9135[1].jpg

Had a super slick little 76 Kawasaki 100 10 speed that was a riot to ride, felt a lot bigger then a 100, and that crazy gear set, you could really go places! I guess they are worth a ton now, I paid $10 for it :)

If I remember right, some of those had two rear chain sprockets? Or was that a Honda? I seem to recall a bike that had some kind of lever on the gear case that would change the primary reduction gear.

For my Husaberg I would carry a different front sprocket - when I got to the trails I would change it out and adjust the chain, then when I was ready to ride home I would change back to the higher geared sprocket. It's been a while. Now that I am unemployed I need to get both bikes dusted off and ride them.

I loved working on 2-strokes, compared to 4-strokes. Upper engine work was comparatively easy. The first time I pulled the top off that old XR350, with it's radial 4 valve head, I was cussing it!

I bought that bike sometime around '89 or '90 IIRC, for $200. It had been ridden HARD and was not pretty. Smoked badly and barely ran, timing chain skipped a tooth the first 5 minute ride when I got it home. New cam chain, piston, rings, cylinder bore, and valves, and it was good to go, ran like a champ. Those were the days. I never had much money and was excited to have such a great bike on a slim budget.

Found a couple of old photos of it:
View attachment 693821View attachment 693822

Almost forgot about it's predecessor, an '81 XR185. I rode the guts out of that thing for year. Excellent little trail bike:
View attachment 693823View attachment 693824
My 2018 beta is a two stroke
With 6 gears. It's probably the best single track bike built today. Ridden world wide. With blinker controls and a horn!! Lol!!!

B82018B1-A73C-4DAB-80A2-6AFA189226F3.png

Yes - for off-road only though. I don't think you can get a new 2 stroke that you can license. My Beta Alp had a license when I bought it but I did not renew it.

Even for off-road, they are trying to get everybody to go 4 stroke now - emissions.

The 2 strokes are lighter and faster though - still.

If I remember right, some of those had two rear chain sprockets? Or was that a Honda? I seem to recall a bike that had some kind of lever on the gear case that would change the primary reduction gear.

For my Husaberg I would carry a different front sprocket - when I got to the trails I would change it out and adjust the chain, then when I was ready to ride home I would change back to the higher geared sprocket. It's been a while. Now that I am unemployed I need to get both bikes dusted off and ride them.
A family friend had a ATK406. That bikes rear disc brake was on the front Sprocket area. Chain breaks no rear break! He sold
His XR600 for that ATK. That XR600 was a Powerful bike. Light front end and narrow up front. Learning to ride trails in the Oregon coast range made a man out of you rather quickly. THOSE were some AWESOME DAYS!!

I really thought I wanted an XR600 for a while, until I road a 500 a bit. I realized that for my purposes the 350 was just right. I rode a lot of miles on the trails. I'm sure for longer, endurance rides a bigger bike would be better.

I broke the steel shank in one of my work boots one day, when the compression release for the XR500 kick starter wasn't adjusted right, and it kicked back.

In the late '90s a friend had a couple friends visiting from eastern Europe, one of the Soviet countries (I forget). They came out to my place, and this young guy gets all excited when he sees that Honda.
"You have motorcycle" he says, in the thickest Russian accent you can imagine, "I had Russian motorcycle when I was teenager!"
I let him ride it, and he was pulling wheelies up the driveway! :)

This one had a Kick lever on the trans you would shift with your left heel, worked really well, but you had to be careful to only change range when the bike was stopped, it could make for a wild bronc ride if you tried shifting on the move! LOL

A family friend had a ATK406. That bikes rear disc brake was on the front Sprocket area. Chain breaks no rear break! He sold
His XR600 for that ATK. That XR600 was a Powerful bike. Light front end and narrow up front. Learning to ride trails in the Oregon coast range made a man out of you rather quickly. THOSE were some AWESOME DAYS!!
My ATK is the sweetest 4 stroke I have ever ridden, the funky rear suspension and chain tensioner actually work very well, and that rear brake is surprisingly good! You can still get brand new parts for them too, something that makes it really nice when you have a bike that old! I actually upgraded the rear brake with an over size rotor and brake caliper stand off, and it's even better now! Mine had WP suspension when I got it, and I found a guy in Cali that had trailers full of original parts and I bought the Olins forks and rear shock/spring set for it from him and also got the bigger Army gas tank, night and day difference in performance!

I really thought I wanted an XR600 for a while, until I road a 500 a bit. I realized that for my purposes the 350 was just right. I rode a lot of miles on the trails. I'm sure for longer, endurance rides a bigger bike would be better.

I broke the steel shank in one of my work boots one day, when the compression release for the XR500 kick starter wasn't adjusted right, and it kicked back.

In the late '90s a friend had a couple friends visiting from eastern Europe, one of the Soviet countries (I forget). They came out to my place, and this young guy gets all excited when he sees that Honda.
"You have motorcycle" he says, in the thickest Russian accent you can imagine, "I had Russian motorcycle when I was teenager!"
I let him ride it, and he was pulling wheelies up the driveway! :)
Remember those Dexter hiking boots? The ones with the heavy vibram sole and red laces? I was kicking over a CR500 one day and it kicked back. Threw me over the handle bars. All 180lbs of me. Tore a 2 inch hole in those boots. Those boots had leather that was very thick.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top