JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1975 Yamaha XS650. Pretty stock except for bars, mirrors, pipes, and front/rear suspension upgrades.

There are certainly newer, slicker, faster bikes - everywhere. Older bikes are just more interesting to me (though I lack the hardcore commitment or mechanical skills to ride the sexy Brit and Italian bikes I drooled over back in the 60's).

Thinking about having the top pulled off for new pistons, gaskets, etc. Freshen it up for 36 more years. Prices and attitudes fluctuate widely among the Portland area shops I've explored so far. Open to recommendations if you've had work done on your own older bikes. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 179742
I have a '74 TX650A that is identical except for paint. Oh, and it's in pieces. But I put 36K on it and 38 states.
For a real freshening, how about Hugh's Handbuilt? He will rephase the crank to 270º giving the engine perfect primary balance - like the new MT-07. Oh, and it will have that Ducati sound...

Just sold my old Honda Trail 90 yesterday. It sat around my shop for years and when I posted it on CL, I was floored by all the responses I got for it.
I should have asked way more then I did, but a nice young guy from Salem picked it up for his 12 year old son.

IMG_2539.JPG

Just sold my old Honda Trail 90 yesterday. It sat around my shop for years and when I posted it on CL, I was floored by all the responses I got for it.
I should have asked way more then I did, but a nice young guy from Salem picked it up for his 12 year old son.

View attachment 693498
I had three CT110s like that, offspring of your Trail 90. Priced realistically, those bikes sell quickly given how useful they are.
- learn/teach to ride without a clutch
- camper/RV campsite bike
- pass DMV endorsement with ease
- Aussie mail carriers call them "posties"
- awesome luggage rack
- easy to pick up if they're lying down
(I weigh more than the bike - with my helmet on).

Funny anecdote: I also had 2 Yamaha 650s when I owned those 3 CTs. So, there I was skidding down my icy driveway in the Outback several winters ago. Imagined explaining to my insurance carrier that I had damaged my car, 5 motorcycles and 3 kayaks - all in my own garage. Stopped on a strip of dry pavement under the eave with 3-4 inches to spare.

Last Edited:

View attachment 693498

One of the first motorcycles I rode/road on. Never owned one though. It was this bike that really got me interested (i.e., obsessed) with motorcycles. I remember going to a get together and the kids on that farm had had several of these. It wasn't so much the bike itself, as it was just the idea of the kids having a motorized bike.

I remember afterwards picking crops in the fields and talking with friends about how we would terrorize the neighborhood with one of these.

Never did own one, but my little brother did, and I would hotwire it and run it into the ground. :D:oops:

My first motorcycle was a '77 Honda XL75. My dad bought it from another farmer for $25 because it wouldn't run and had been thrown in a junk pile. He tinkered with it and got it going.

We rode than thing for years. I have no idea how many miles I put on that little bike, out in the cow pastures, up in the hills, even at the beach a few times. It got used thousands of times for rounding up the cows for milking. By the time we were done with it, there was really nothing left. The seat had been replaced with an old piece of foam wrapped in a feed sack. The gas tank had rusted out and been brazed several times. The exhaust pipe had rusted and broke, and been welded and broke several times. The foot pegs were held on with baling wire. Spokes were missing where cows had stepped on it. The handlebars had been broken and welded. Pretty much every single part of that bike was like that. Towards the end it would barely run, but I had never had the engine apart.

One day it was gone, and I found out that my mom had given it to my cousin. I was upset because I had always intended to fix it up. The next time I saw my cousin I asked him about in, and he just growled. He was ticked because he was going to fix it up, but when he took the engine apart there was just nothing left. The rings fell out in pieces. The cylinder was scored badly and severely worn. The valves were worn and sunk way back into the head. All the bearings were sloppy loose. There never was a machine in the history of the world that was so thoroughly and completely worn out as that little motorcycle!

I wish I could find (and afford) one just like it now, for my kids. :)

Here's a photo of one in better condition, borrowed from the internet. Brings back some memories...

XL75.png

I'm looking for one of these, even a project so I can fix it up for the little ones to learn to ride and join us on our bike adventures! I have one, I did the Lifan 150cc swap and it's a riot to blast around on, but it's way too muck for the little ones!

1588790799339.png

I'm looking for one of these, even a project so I can fix it up for the little ones to learn to ride and join us on our bike adventures! I have one, I did the Lifan 150cc swap and it's a riot to blast around on, but it's way too muck for the little ones!

View attachment 693608
When did Honda start putting rear shocks on the Mini Trail? The originals were all hardtail (which is how/why so many of us learned to weld and braze - to repair the cracks and breaks at the backbone).

Last Edited:
My KLR 650 is on the right. Converted back into a military bike (which is what the KLR 650 originally was), minus the larger fuel tank. Tactical MOLLE Tank Vest in coyote not pictured.

Practical and tactical.

Not shiny crap that can't go off-road, or over barriers on urban terrain for that matter.

Attachments

• Possible photo for book (3).jpg
    Possible photo for book (3).jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 130
Here's my last three; 1998 Suzuki 800 Intruder, 1996 Suzuki 1400 Intruder, 2003 Yamaha 1600 Roadstar Silverado... 800 Intruder.JPG

Attachments

• 1400.JPG
    1400.JPG
    619.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 20190630_180643.jpg
    20190630_180643.jpg
    571.7 KB · Views: 128
The mad genius has made a 347cc 6 cylinder Honda RC166 replica, a 5.0 V-twin using two cylinders from a Pratt & Whitney radial aricraft engine, a Dodge Viper V10 bike that clocked 207MPH, a 6 cylinder Kawi Z1, V12 Kawi, and a 5 cylinder H2 1250 2-Stroke Kawi that sounds like an F1 engine, and many others.

I've owned more two-wheeled vehicles than four-wheeled in my life, though I haven't owned one in a number of years.

I started out with a string of dirt bike for riding on the farm, mostly Honda and Yamaha enduro style from the '70. Used bikes were cheap back then. My favorite, and last, dirt bike was an '84 XR350. I rode the wheels off that thing, awesome bike.

Then I got into road bikes, as I had left the farm. First was a '78 KZ650, a quick little cafe racer. That old bike would scoot out from under me if I wasn't careful. Then it was an '81 XS11 "Midnight Special". Bigger, heavier, and faster that the KZ, but nowhere near as quick. I enjoyed riding, but found I was not a biker, more of a fair-weather rider. When kids came along, the bike sat most of the time, and eventually went down the road.
The XR350 was a awesome bike!!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads