JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have the same 4'' S&W 500.
But I would carry my 329 Titanium .44 magnum.

Why? Because I wouldn't use a gun on a bear. I would use bear spray.
After stopping Pit bulls, Rottweiler's and German shepherds in there tracks with the little cans of pepper spray. I know it works.

Animals just shut down. Maybe they think they were skunked? It's actually quite impressive. From tunnel vision anger. To confusion. A complete redirection.
I have read studies in the ''Journal of wildlife management'' that spray works better than guns. But do your own research.

Plus once you start shooting up a bear. Your kinda committed. Somebody is gona die!

Last Edited:
I stopped by a shop in Salem today looking for a gun that I had seen in the case a month or two ago, it was still there. The owner offered me a deal I couldn't refuse, the gun, holster and 55 rounds of ammunition. I couldn't help myself and went all the way, as big as I could get.

A S&W X-Frame in .500 S&W with a 4" barrel. Comes with two different muzzle compensators, one for lead and one for jacketed bullets. Fired casing has a 5/05 date, allegedly had only 5 round through it. Looking forward to my next trip to the range!

Let us know how that first range trip goes. That is a lot of handgun there, but hopefully you have good size strong hands for it. I think you will be very impressed when you squeeze off that first round at the power you are hanging onto there :D

Let us know how that first range trip goes. That is a lot of handgun there, but hopefully you have good size strong hands for it. I think you will be very impressed when you squeeze off that first round at the power you are hanging onto there :D

It went pretty good!

Obligatory S&W .500 Magnum video:

It went pretty good!

Obligatory S&W .500 Magnum video:

Yep ya know you have hold of something there. Have a hunch the bear won't care much for it though LOL.
The muzzle blast alone will give em a hell of a headache :) Hope you never need it for that, but it does give a person a little more confidence when on the trail.

Thanks for showing that.
Actually the recoil is not too bad. You just know it's there :)

P1020122.jpg

It was relatively soft, HSM 350 gr JHP at 1,400 fps, 1,305 ft-lb of energy. I'll actually be carrying Cor-Bon 440 gr hard cast at 1,625 ft-lb, 2,580 ft-lb of energy. Haven't bought those yet, I'll get there eventually.

I watched again after I posted and it looked a bit hotter that I originally thought. But, find some Hornady 350gr ammo. It's expensive, but you'll see what a 350gr bullet can be like.:)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top