JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Let's say that you got a job in Alaska this summer and your schedule will likely permit you to do a lot of hiking in the Tongass National Forest. What handgun (caliber -and- specific model) would you purchase to carry with you on the hikes?

Last Edited:
Are we talking handguns or any gun?
Handguns I'd say 10mm or better for semi and 44 mag or better for handgun.
Many who go fishing in heavy bear population areas carry a 12 ga with slugs.

I've considered the Guide Gun, a friend has one and it's pretty nice. Maybe he'll make me a good deal.

A good pump or semi auto 12 ga with a 5 rd mag and first 2 flat nosed sabots and then 3 full slugs would be what I would carry if I were in Brown/Griz Bear country. I like the 45/70 but only in stronger actions and with hot 500 gr loads for that kind of muscle.

I do like the S&W 460 - tons of ammo options - .45LC, .454 Casull, and .460 S&W

Yep and the 500 S&W
The 460 and the versatility is nice.
That 500 can put out 2600 ft lbs of energy
I still like that 12 ga. :)

12 gauge Winchester Partition Gold Sabot Slug, 3" magnum shell 2900 ft lbs
About an oz + of lead

Last Edited:
Are we talking handguns or any gun?
Handguns I'd say 10mm or better for semi and 44 mag or better for handgun.
Many who go fishing in heavy bear population areas carry a 12 ga with slugs.
Yeah I was thinking this too; the best 'handgun' would be one of those Mossberg Persuaders with the pistol grip and a sling. Load with slugs, don't mess around.

The troopers take a shotgun, so take a tip from a cop who does, as Firesign Theater used to say.

According to the USDA Forestry Service the Tongass National Forest has the highest concentration of black bears in the world, and one of the highest concentrations of brown bears.

Because your requirement is for a handgun I would choose the Magnum Research BFR in 454 Casull and carry it in a chest rig.

Last Edited:
Looks like the Toklat is $820-900. I could get a 12ga for a few hundred but it would be a pain to pack around. I could also get a blue label Glock 20 and have 15 rounds plus another 30 on my hip. Choices...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top