JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good friend keeps a rifle loaded with 20 rounds as he figures that's as long as a home insaion would last...whichever way it goes. Difference with him is he shoots all the time and is very familiar with guns.

Asked about just 20 rounds he points out most gunfights don't last that long.

Some years ago in Washington DC a woman called 911 and the cops never showed up. The lawsuit taken to the high Court was rejected with the court saying the police are not obligated to protect people.

How much ammo you should have depends on where you live.
I often joke about the pile of ammo but for me its because I love to shoot. Have lived through multiple panic shortages. Have the stuff to roll my own but often lack the damn time to want to do it. So I make sure I have plenty to last till next panic is over. If we ever have a break down here I suspect it will not take much fire from me. Crowds tend to be full of cowards. 100 people in a mob are only brave until a couple of them get shot. The rest then run. Only reason I have so many damn guns now is the laws here. All my life I LOVED being able to buy something, play with it, sell one to buy something else. Now? Selling is either a huge damn hassle or I have to be willing to take a huge hit on the price. So I ended up having a LOT of guns I really don't even want any more. Just not willing to sell them for far less than I paid so I guess they will be with me till we shuffle off and the kids can sell them :s0092:

I often joke about the pile of ammo but for me its because I love to shoot. Have lived through multiple panic shortages. Have the stuff to roll my own but often lack the damn time to want to do it. So I make sure I have plenty to last till next panic is over. If we ever have a break down here I suspect it will not take much fire from me. Crowds tend to be full of cowards. 100 people in a mob are only brave until a couple of them get shot. The rest then run. Only reason I have so many damn guns now is the laws here. All my life I LOVED being able to buy something, play with it, sell one to buy something else. Now? Selling is either a huge damn hassle or I have to be willing to take a huge hit on the price. So I ended up having a LOT of guns I really don't even want any more. Just not willing to sell them for far less than I paid so I guess they will be with me till we shuffle off and the kids can sell them :s0092:
I tend to make up the ammo I want to shoot then go shoot it. It's my fun and being retired it's the easiest fun to go do.

If I needed ammo for a shtf I can load 450 rnds an hour for the handgun on my dillion, at my age there is no running away .

Always loved guns for fun, tried other hobbies but it's real satisfaction shooting. Great guys at the club and good competition with the other clubs.

Ideally I'd have a 9, 12g and 556 (or even a 22lr rifle instead which is lighter and can pack FAR more ammo at a fraction of the weight) due to ammo availability.

However if that is not an option, then I would have 1-9mm pistol and 1-45acp pistol to up my ability to find ammunition that is readily available.. (as specified in your question). I don't see a huge point in carrying the extra weight of extra 9mm pistols, it's bulk and weight Id have to lug around that could be bulk and weight taking the place of: food, water, shelter materials or medical gear..

And even if the purpose it to arm others within my group, there is no guarantee they can properly use it (accurately).. beyond that it splits the amount of ammo I can use for myself because I now have to load them up. I don't consider it a force multiplier if they are wildly untrained.

^ This. Gunfights often end in people dead or seriously wounded. In the real world, the good guys don't always win. Having a well thought out preparedness battery is most certainly an important thing, but it is not the be-all and end-all. And "more ammo is always the answer" is nonsense if it is at the expense of more pressing requirements.
I've always felt that if things get that bad, where you need to regularly engage in firefights, I'll be lucky to live through 2 or 3 before getting taken out myself.
With that said, honestly, my decent amount of stuff would probably outlast me and end up in the wrong hands.

Then there's the logistics of dead bodies stinking up the place, you can't just win a gun battle on your property or in your neighborhood and not have to do some cleanup.

Also, we need to be cognizant that likely were we live the walls are thin, the windows are revealing and the structure is flammable. If word got out that someone has something to fight for, you may just end up facing ever increasing number of attackers who want what you have.

When the "crap hits the fan" your guns might have excellent trade value.
If we ever have a big breakdown guns and ammo may well be worth FAR more than much anything else for sure. Ammo alone would make a great barter currency if people suddenly can't buy it for a time. We should see a good example of social break down here starting tonight. The 3 LEO's on trial for killing the drugged up guy were all found not guilty. I would NOT want to be living in that neighborhood right now. No doubt places like downtown Seattle will of course have to get in on the "fun" too. :(

Five pages and the OP never explained what version of SHTF he's pondering... Civil war? Zombie apocalypse? Martial law foisted on us by a new fascist leader? West coast falling into the Pacific and tsunamis after the 10.0 Cascadia quake? A second Biden administration?

The question is moot anyway, since if one hasn't already made the decisions on one's arms and ammo that should've been made years ago, one is way, way behind the curve and given the predicted results of the '24 elections and all the new state laws coming, one will never catch up.

Five pages and the OP never explained what version of SHTF he's pondering... Civil war? Zombie apocalypse? Martial law foisted on us by a new fascist leader? West coast falling into the Pacific and tsunamis after the 10.0 Cascadia quake? A second Biden administration?

The question is moot anyway, since if one hasn't already made the decisions on one's arms and ammo that should've been made years ago, one is way, way behind the curve and given the predicted results of the '24 elections and all the new state laws coming, one will never catch up.
Yes, but one thing the current crop of anti gun law makers are doing well is making more people buy guns. A LOT of people are getting to see how supporting crime is a lot of fun for victims. This is causing many people who never owned a gun to change their mind. So they have to start somewhere.

Yes, but one thing the current crop of anti gun law makers are doing well is making more people buy guns. A LOT of people are getting to see how supporting crime is a lot of fun for victims. This is causing many people who never owned a gun to change their mind. So they have to start somewhere.
Just picked up a new pistol today, and the gun store was very busy. Best of all, the diversity of customers, from the crusty old guys, POC, women, to the metro looking dude with the Tesla model x outside,

Jan 1 has some new firearm rules coming.....

I like my Mk25, but I really like the 226 I got from No Regrets - he did a little trigger work on it (SRT and a lighter spring - I think it also has the better "Super" strut IIRC - if not I have a Super Strut to put in it), and of all my SIGs that one has the nicest trigger. I intend to send off my SIGs, one by one, to the SIG armorer to get the QTR system and some other work on it. If the first one is as nice as I hope, then the rest will get the same treatment.

I am slowly getting accoutrements for my guns, optics (mostly for rifles), holsters, etc. - I am pretty much thru buying guns and ammo.
Heretic said "I am pretty much thru buying guns and ammo".

I sez: Funny thing, Last week I told the Old Woman the exact same thing!
I do need to concentrate on ammo and mags tho.

Just picked up a new pistol today, and the gun store was very busy. Best of all, the diversity of customers, from the crusty old guys, POC, women, to the metro looking dude with the Tesla model x outside,

Jan 1 has some new firearm rules coming.....
YEP. Bought 2 guns in the last month or so. Meant 4 trips to two different stores. Every time we went the places were full of people buying. Overhead a lot of people with questions that sounded like a newbie.

I have several hand guns and several rifles in both right now. Great for around the home if things break down. Now if I had to be able to move? Probably would lean harder to the 9s. Ammo is FAR easier to carry. Other day I bought 1K of .45 in a 50 Cal ammo can and 1600 rounds of 9mm in a 50 ammo can. When I went to pick them up at the office it really showed what the difference is weight wise.
The other day someone is firing something bigger than 5.56 indoor. The building was reverberating.

Sad to say some people close to my area on "Nextdoor Site" are worried more about who's to blame on graffiti. You have to be out of touch for not even to feel something bad is brewing. How do you explain to others that may need to prepare themselves at least food emergencies, fuel, generator power, lights for a in case situation. Its just a fact that there are over thousands apprehended, caught that are in the most wanted list from all over the globe passing through our border. How do they know that our enemies are fortifying their positions from the inside while they're talking about flower gardens. :s0092:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top