JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What do y'all think Joe average has stockpiled in his house today, or will he have enough ammo and food? The board is pretty much gun people be they hobbyists or Constitutionalist so their opinions are bias on need. Joe average is too busy working and living to worry about shtf or crashes.

Point being that there will probably be a lot of men with empty guns if times get bad enough guns are being used. Any extra ammo will be a great trade item.

Frankly, .22 should not be overlooked. I know, I know, it wasn't one of the choices given to me at the start, however; think about how much ammo you can buy and store in a given space for a given amount of money and those bulk packs of .22 start looking pretty good. If it really, really did hit the fan, the good old 10/22 would be a truly hard to beat tool. However, given your listed choices, I'd much rather have several 9s and a couple .45s with numerous types of ammo over only 9 and only 1 flavor of ammo because that's an eggs in one basket type of situation that can really get you in a pickle should the plan suddenly need changing
I've seen and heard of very few surviving a rimfire 22 shot to the chest area, when fired from a rifle platform.

Something to consider when "stockpiling" , prepping , etc....
Often what you think you need...is really only something you want.

Keep it simple ...keep it basic :
Food , Shelter and Water...along with the means and willingness to keep it

You are wanting to survive SHTF...not necessarily save the world...or take over an area...
You...are wanting to survive....simple.

Use what you have...use what works for you....and remember SHTF does not care about your plans , prepping , wants or needs...
Be adaptable to the situation.
Andy

Something to consider when "stockpiling" , prepping , etc....
Often what you think you need...is really only something you want.

Keep it simple ...keep it basic :
Food , Shelter and Water...along with the means and willingness to keep it

You are wanting to survive SHTF...not necessarily save the world...or take over an area...
You...are wanting to survive....simple.

Use what you have...use what works for you....and remember SHTF does not care about your plans , prepping , wants or needs...
Be adaptable to the situation.
Andy
I always wonder how many gunfights people think they are going to be in when they need 10s of thousands of rounds available post SHTF. I personally would rather hunker down and be able to eat, stay hydrated and keep a steady body temp.

I always wonder how many gunfights people think they are going to be in when they need 10s of thousands of rounds available post SHTF. I personally would rather hunker down and be able to eat, stay hydrated and keep a steady body temp.
Best way to survive a gunfight...is not to get into one...
Or...set up an ambush with you as the ambusher rather than the ambushee... :D

SHTF makes for a great "What If"....movie , book , TV show....Sure wouldn't want to live it again.

Having experienced SHTF in real life....I would suggest that one keep :
A low profile...
Do what needs to be done with a minimum amount of fuss...
Don't get all excited / worked up over little things...and you might be surprised at just what is or becomes a little thing when SHTF...
And as always.....be adaptable to your situation.
Andy

My guess on what is needed would depend on what the shtf is and where I live. All we have to go on is government sponsored civil wars and full out wars like Gaza and Ukraine.

I guess how much you need will be guaged by the threat you perceive. Oct 7 unarmed people in Israel didn't fare well no matter how they tried to run and hide.

My guess on what is needed would depend on what the shtf is and where I live. All we have to go on is government sponsored civil wars and full out wars like Gaza and Ukraine.

I guess how much you need will be guaged by the threat you perceive. Oct 7 unarmed people in Israel didn't fare well no matter how they tried to run and hide.
Mexico. Venezuela. Chile. Argentina. Nicaragua. Anywhere in Sub-Saharan Africa. These are all places where extreme violence happens, and where the world is in a constant state of "SHTF" depending on what you believe.

Someone is shopping for a couple 22's.
Might I suggest a pair of Rugers....10/22 rifle and a MkI-IV pistol.

Joe
Perfect couple alright. Both can be a ton of cheap fun, great for teaching new shooters, good small game, just plain great all around. In a pinch could be used for defense if nothing else was at hand. Have lost track of the 10/22's I have had since they hit the market but will never be without a couple of them. Hands down favorite is the little take down model Wife bought long ago. Fun and so easy to pack around.

Mexico. Venezuela. Chile. Argentina. Nicaragua. Anywhere in Sub-Saharan Africa. These are all places where extreme violence happens, and where the world is in a constant state of "SHTF" depending on what you believe.
Just opinion but all of those are government sponsored civil wars.

The question that should be asked as you build up your supplies is who will come to save you? From that question on its "then what do I need?"

I have never been worried about a full on civil war. What I do see as easy to have happen is short break downs in law and order. We see it all the time on small scale. Its small when you are watching it on the news. Not small when its all around you. We are getting ready to see one here soon if things go right. 3 cops on trial for dome dope head who died after they arrested him. News is going wall to wall trying to fan the flames. If the LEO's are not convicted we will see mass riots here. When crap like that starts you are often on your own for a short time waiting for the gov to gain control back.

I've seen and heard of very few surviving a rimfire 22 shot to the chest area, when fired from a rifle platform.
My wife and I used to watch Joe Kenda "Homicide Hunter" off Roku, years ago. He made one comment in one program that stuck with me. It was tantamount to, a chest shot with a 22 or 32 was usually lethal on the spot. Enough energy to enter the cavity. Once inside, it would bounce around shredding all the vital organs in its path.
Adapting to varying body temperature would be beneficial. When your core temperature drops a few degrees and the shivers set in, your muscles and brain do not work too well. It takes practice to adapt to that, and if you're only experiencing it for the first time, the mistakes you make could be your last.
Also training your body to sleep while you're cold is also useful.

I have never been worried about a full on civil war. What I do see as easy to have happen is short break downs in law and order. We see it all the time on small scale. Its small when you are watching it on the news. Not small when its all around you. We are getting ready to see one here soon if things go right. 3 cops on trial for dome dope head who died after they arrested him. News is going wall to wall trying to fan the flames. If the LEO's are not convicted we will see mass riots here. When crap like that starts you are often on your own for a short time waiting for the gov to gain control back.
Reading this morning about new controls being put on NYC cops. Record keeping that the cops will resist and that record keeping done in another big city increased crime.

Only point I can makes is the riots in Kenosha, they can't stop riots but contain them so it's important where you live.

They're criminals. Citizens, maybe. But generally criminals :rolleyes: you could argue that the gang violence in several big cities in the US is a state of civil unrest against cops and local govts :s0140:
:Do_O criminals are those who disobey government laws, are they fighting against government? J6ers just walked into a building and got years in jail for civil disobedience, were they fighting the government?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top