JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One night my brother, his friend, and I were leaving a pizza place.

A man was slapping the crap out of his girlfriend. So my brother, who was a great big guy. Proceeded to punch the guy in the face.
The guy was out cold on the ground. With my brother standing over him.

Meanwhile the guys girlfriend had picked up a clay pot full of dirt and flowers. And with my brothers back turned to her. Proceeded to smash it over his Head!

It was all we could do to keep him from picking up where the boyfriend had left off. :D

So what did I learn?
Be careful if you step between lovers, or even family members fighting.
Because more likely than not. You'll find yourself fighting them both. o_O

Last Edited:

Many years ago new people moved in across the street. One day I hear woman screaming for help. Call 911, 83 questions I could not answer later she said they will send Cops. :20 later they show. It was as I suspected domestic. 6 months or so later people move. Months later I get subpoena to go to court for this. Take day off work, sit there an hour or so. Saw this couple in the room. As soon as his case is called she runs out of room. When she is called a few more times they drop case since she is not there. Judge thanks me for coming. I said (to myself) that will never happen again. Ever since have kept dead cell phones that will still reach 911. A few times when I have seen a domestic I call from that. These are the worst things to get involved in. There is a reason Cops hate them. Stop the perp the victim attacks you. This guy is lucky the woman did not attack him while he was holding "her man" at gun point. Or go to court and say he started a fight with her man.

If the victim is not a friend or family member, I'm just going to watch, maybe with a cell camera in my hand rather than a gun. Usually the victim's problem is a poor choice in associates, so it's on them in any case.

I'm sorry being a Samaritan has become dangerous and counterproductive due mostly to government activities, but that is the world these days and it won't change until the next Revolution rolls around, if then. Sometimes you just have to take reality rather than trying to fight it.

Serious food for thought in this story... The ongoing ramifications, considering not a shot was fired, make me rethink my previous stance on the matter...

If it's not me or mine involved, then my only obligation is to call 911 and record as much as possible... Just be a good witness...

I'm not the police nor a sworn peacekeeper... As PaulB47 said, it's usually related to the victims choice of associates, no need for me to risk myself or my family... Just doesn't equate to me...

I never thought about this from the viewpoint of a ccw holder. No one prepares you for the hell that occurs after something like this. Here are some things we do after shootings or critical incidents:

Have an idea of what attorney you will call. I keep a laminated business card in my wallet of mine.

Have a designated "secret buddy" who agrees to house you somewhere the media wouldn't know to find you and stay with you. The buddy runs interference, makes sure to round up your family, and makes you keep your mouth shut. Almost everyone wants to talk afterward. People want to explain and get reassurance from someone that what they did was the right thing to do.

If you have to talk, don't talk to anyone about anything if the conversation isn't privileged. Attorney, spouse, pastor. If you are seen talking to someone, even a good friend, they can be called to testify about what you said.

If you are a public employee, know your Garrity Rights. If you are notified that you will face dismissal if you fail to cooperate in an investigation, you are now making a compelled statement that is not admissible in court.

A man was slapping the crap out of his girlfriend. So my brother, who was a great big guy. Proceeded to punch the guy in the face.

Meanwhile the guys girlfriend had picked up a clay pot full of dirt and flowers. And with my brothers back turned to her. Proceeded to smash it over his Head!

It was all we could do to keep him from picking up where the boyfriend had left off. :D

So what did I learn?

Yep.....

So what did I learn?

When I was in the USCG a number of us carry concealed off-duty. One petty officer went to a movie and while in line for tickets told a teenager to stop berating and somewhat manhandling his girlfriend. This escalated (the teen was scrawny, the PO a large guy) and the PO handed his concealed firearm to another Coastie with him in case a fight ensued, which didn't happen. Police were called (I forget if it was by the teen - this was pre-cell phone days) and for a while it looked like the PO might be charged with "brandishing" - the teen (and his GF IIRC) lying about what happening and saying the PO pulled the gun on him. Fortunately the local police believed the Coasties more than the troublemaker.

The lesson I took away from that is that of course the bad guy will lie about the incident, but so will his friends, possibly other bystanders and quite possibly the victim - especially if the victim has a relationship with the offender.

Serious food for thought in this story... The ongoing ramifications, considering not a shot was fired, make me rethink my previous stance on the matter...

If it's not me or mine involved, then my only obligation is to call 911 and record as much as possible... Just be a good witness...

I'm not the police nor a sworn peacekeeper... As PaulB47 said, it's usually related to the victims choice of associates, no need for me to risk myself or my family... Just doesn't equate to me...

I agree with you mostly... I would like to add that I'm wondering why the Samaritan had his gun out at first option. (Not knocking what he has done because he may have saved that women's life.) I was trained from a self defense mode not to pull my weapon unless it is necessary to use it to stop a threat. I was not there, so this is pure hypothetical. But, why not knock on the car window (making sure your phone is filming either from your wife or yourself) as to give attention to the offender that someone is watching you after getting the license plate in case they drive off. The wife has already called 911 so police are alerted. It could have went a number of ways I'm sure, but maybe the offender would have stopped beating the victim enough to give attention to why you are knocking on the window or meddling in his business. At this time he could have driven off and you would have been able to give the police the license plate and have footage of the attack. On top of that that beating would have stopped periodically. Now I understand the offender may have been in a rage and probably could have came after the Samaritan and if he felt his life was in danger at that moment he could have pulled to assert himself. I don't know, that is just what goes through my head, and of course without being in his adrenaline state trying to be of help. I'm on the sideline chucking them from the cheap seats. But, it is something to think about in a situation like that. We have to make sure we cover ourselves before running to jump in. That is what I have learned from this.

This is the concern for every LEO across the country.
It's at the point your wrong trying to do the right thing. Better to let someone kill someone else and then intervene.

Call the cops, gice them info, and get you and yours out of danger.

We are a mind your own business society. No more neighbors, no more friends, no more looking out for others.

Because the suspect is always the victim, and the defender is always the aggressor.

Our justice system and govts are so far forked we aren't allowed to believe in right and wrong or good and evil anymore.

This is the concern for every LEO across the country.
It's at the point your wrong trying to do the right thing. Better to let someone kill someone else and then intervene.

Call the cops, gice them info, and get you and yours out of danger.

We are a mind your own business society. No more neighbors, no more friends, no more looking out for others.

Because the suspect is always the victim, and the defender is always the aggressor.

Our justice system and govts are so far forked we aren't allowed to believe in right and wrong or good and evil anymore.

A major part part of the problem - a part that the PTB will not admit to - is that the government/et. al. do not want private citizens to have that kind of power, because it takes power away from the PTB, and they are very jealous of their power. The less power and security a private citizen and/or the masses have, the more power that the "authorities" have. That is why "they" (PTB and media) are always pushing the FUD (Fear Uncertainty Doubt) and discouraging any steps you might take to protect yourself or others from any threat.

Once those motivations are understood it becomes quite clear what the possible outcomes are when you "step on their toes" in any way.

One of my former clients, a retired cardiac surgeon that I've written about before, many years ago in the Great Lakes area, killed a man that was mercilessly beating a girl. A confrontation ensued and the surgeon pulled his .45LC and defended himself. I can't imagine he would be walking free if that happened today.

It seems to me that Aaron is a nice guy and a caring person. That's a problem in my view! What keeps me from using my weapon injudiciously are the legal and social aspects of the aftermath. I, frankly, don't give much of a furry rats rump if some murderous sociopath gets his ticket punched. I don't want to deal with the police, media, DA, Judiciary, Defense Attorneys, Grand Jury's, GF/victim, gang or family retaliation, cost, etc!
I have absolutely ZERO faith in our so called justice system! There is only law there, not justice!

My thoughts have always been me, my loved ones and family. One thing I will do and hopefully soon is add a dash cam to my truck. One more thing to train and think about. Always park so the cam will pick up what you need it to.

Sucks that we need to think and live this way. I have to say that you guys have all helped me in so many ways when it comes to things like this. So to you all Thank you.

My thoughts have always been me, my loved ones and family. One thing I will do and hopefully soon is add a dash cam to my truck. One more thing to train and think about. Always park so the cam will pick up what you need it to.

Sucks that we need to think and live this way. I have to say that you guys have all helped me in so many ways when it comes to things like this. So to you all Thank you.

I have been using a body cam for about a decade. I wear it when we walk the dogs. Also when we hike. First one came when soon after I got one dog. Got into it with some clown when his dog tried to make a meal of mine. He took GREAT offence to me telling him since he thought it was funny I would just take care of it next time. All of a sudden it was not funny to him. When I got home Wife was waiting. Said Police and animal control had both been to house. I told her I already dealt with PD, would call Animal control back to press charges. She ordered me the first camera that day. They have been EXTREMELY helpful. Have lost track of the times I have had "words" with some jerk who's dog came after me. When it starts I point to my shirt and say, see this? It's a camera. All this is being video recorded. WHOLE thing suddenly changes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top