Lessons learned from a good-samaritan attempt

Discussion in 'Defensive Carry & Self Defense' started by ATCclears, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu
    PDX OR
    Member Emeritus Silver Supporter

You are so welcome! :)

I've been drifting toward dash cams too! Don't want to but it's just getting so danged twisted and dangerous out there!

bbbass, MrMillspecer, nammac and 2 others like this.
  2. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu
    PDX OR

Dark humor here!

"See this it's a camera, see this it's a high capacity.45 auto!"

I've actually been thinking of the utility of a personal camera since the the police started using them widely! It seems the most practical type of camera recording system. More so than a dash cam, but I suppose we'll end up needing both!

Stomper, bbbass, MrMillspecer and 2 others like this.
  3. SKrueger

SKrueger
    STOMPER WHO?
    Diamond Supporter Diamond Supporter 2017 Volunteer

How sad and pathetic that it has come down to this. No person should ever have to worry about what could happen after protecting there loved ones.

It's sad as HE!! that the excrement of today's world have all the rights.:mad:o_O

Stomper, ikemay, MrMillspecer and 2 others like this.
  4. nammac

nammac
    I-5 Corridor - West of Portland
    Constitutionalist Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

This is a result of decades of handing power and authority to the legislatures and governments. In order to make you a subject, first they must make you dependent. That means no rights... Period...

We are well on our way to a totalitarian government state... God help our children, lest we take the necessary corrective actions... And that just ain't gonna be purdy...

Taco_lean, Stomper, ikemay and 4 others like this.
  5. SKrueger

SKrueger
    STOMPER WHO?

For some reason after reading your post the movie Brave Heart came to mind :confused:

FREEEEEEEEDOM!!!:D

Stomper, ikemay, Sgt Nambu and 2 others like this.
  6. jbett98

jbett98
    NW Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

There's an old Chinese proverb that I like.

"The palest ink is better then the best memory"

7. gryghin

gryghin
    Beaverton
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Link to the body cam?

Sgt Nambu, SKrueger and Camelfilter like this.
  8. Camelfilter

Camelfilter
    State of Jefferson
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Ditto...

Sgt Nambu, nammac and SKrueger like this.
  9. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Get Off My Lawn!!
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

The last 2 we bought are Muvi brand. They don't make the same one any more that I can see. Amazon still has a bunch of different ones made by the same company. The 2 we have are so old I'm kind of surprised the batteries are still holding up. They were the forerunner to the GoPro's. The ones we bought came with a 4G card which of course is about worthless in 1080P. So we of course bought 32G cards for them. These can run off external power so with a back up battery there is no time limit. If you look at places like Amazon under body cam you see they sell a load of different kinds now. The two we are using for walking the dogs now started out as dash cams for the cars. Later bought others made for the cars since these had the clips to put them on a shirt. The first one she bought me which I still have here is about half the size of a pack of gum.
    Veho VCC-003-MUVI-BLK MUVI Micro digital. They claim these will get 2-3 hours of film. Mine got 1-1.5 on a charge. They probably have gotten better. Even that one was surprising at what it would do. Not as big a field of view of course but shocking good sound. first time I tried the small one it was summer. As I was walking I could hear some people in one house yelling about a game on TV with the door open. When I got home to see how it looked I could hear what they were saying on the recording and I was walking on the other side of the street from them. The voice recording is just as if not more important. In the cases where I have come close with some confrontation that is the most important part. That way after LEO's get involved there is no "well he said, so I said" It's all there on tape.

10. gryghin

gryghin
    Beaverton
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Thanks for the info, going to be adding to my monthly Amazon Smile order. I know I should have bought stock in Amazon back when it was $80 in 2009.

Sgt Nambu, Camelfilter and Alexx1401 like this.
  11. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Get Off My Lawn!!
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Man you and me both!! I remember when even after they had been in business for a decade they were still showing a loss every year. Yet the stock kept going up. I could not understand how they stayed in business. Turns out the guy knew what he was doing after all. It has long been my go to place for almost everything now days.

12. Hotnhere

Hotnhere
    Washington

scumbag! victim, never fails does it" she's getting her bubblegum kicked! and someone actually steps up and stops the assault and instead of thanking these people she accuses them of lying?...

no wonder nobody intervenes anymore, she probably caught another beating when she picked up the coward when he got out of prison.

13. mrblond

mrblond
    Salem OR

Confucius say: Wise man cover his own bubblegum first.

Sad to say but its true.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  14. SKrueger

SKrueger
    STOMPER WHO?

Its all sorts of bubblegummed up! Just goes to show you the saying is true.

YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID

Sgt Nambu and nammac like this.
  15. pacnw

pacnw Member

This is exactly why most law enforcement call domestic violence calls one of the most dangerous to respond to!

mkwerx likes this.
  16. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu
    PDX OR

Hope so!!! :cool:

17. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu
    PDX OR

Can't fix low-life, getto, trash, either!

mkwerx and SKrueger like this.
  18. TM-Salem

TM-Salem
    Salem

And this is why I would never get into someone else's business... Unless someone was hurting a child, then I would do something

mkwerx and Taco_lean like this.
  19. revjen45

revjen45
    Snohomish County

1) Do a search for "The Dangers of Intervention." After reading it pause to reflect.
    2) Mind your own business.
    3) I carry a piece to protect my own life and the lives of people I love a lot. Everybody else can call the cops or get their own gun.
    4) I don't even want to be a "good witness." In fact I don't want to get involved at all. If this makes me selfish, OK. There are rare exceptions.
    5) Brings to mind the recent incident of the cretin annoying the 2 young women on a public transit conveyance. Good Samaritans tell The Cretin to knock it off - The Cretin stabs them all, killing 2 out of 3. When Cretin starts with the stabbing it's probably time to draw and fire because at this point my own life and that of my wife are in danger. Prior to that nothing that's happening justifies exposing myself to physical &/or legal jeopardy.
    6) Don't ride the bus. That's what cars and motorsickles (sic) are for. :D

mkwerx, Taco_lean and sigmadog like this.
  20. OldBroad44

OldBroad44
    Oregon

I once did intervene successfully to stop an attempted rape. But that was clearly an attack by a stranger on a young woman.

In this domestic-violence situation I would simply record the license plate and drive away out of the area as quickly as possible. If I had the means to place a 911 call ANONYMOUSLY, I would pull over as soon as out of sight of the altercation and phone in the location of problem, car description and license. Then hang up, ignoring any questions or efforts to keep me on the phone. And I would dump the burner phone and continue getting out of the area. I would not put myself at risk of life or limb or the inconvenience caused by requirements to make statements or testify in court. Or the worry about revenge if I did. If I couldn't make the call anonymously, I wouldn't make it at all. I would just get out of there. Sometimes the best you can do is get out of the way so nobody mistakes you for part of the problem.

These domestic violence situations are complex and treacherous even for LEOs. I've known a number of physically powerful men who tried to intervene in a number of such situations, and in no case did the woman file charges. In most cases the woman either attacked them physically at the time, or supported their attacker in court, that is, said their would-be rescuer was the attacker. The odds of a private citizen intervening usefully in such situations are very small, I think. And the odds of it costing them a whole lot are very high.

I tend to come down on the side of believing that we are all each others' keepers in many ways and up to a certain point. That is what makes us a civilized society. But not in all ways and to an infinite point. An assessment of the risks and likelihood of success makes sense. And it is perfectly reasonable to be willing to take more risks for friends, loved ones, and family than for strangers.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Taco_lean and Mister Bisley like this.