JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
That's exactly what BLM is driving to now, they want police agencies defunded and in some cases disbanded...

Imagine America without police :eek:

It'll make what we've seen over the past week look like the good ole civilized days...

As long as they also disband the criminal justice system simultaneously, I could entertain the idea. The covid deaths would be a drop in the bucket in comparison.

He walked toward cops in riot gear and even went so far as to (seemingly put his hand on one of them). Maybe he thought his "privilege" would protect him.

I'm no police expert, but I'm not going to assume I am going to be treated friendly if I walk opposing to police in riot gear and start putting my hands on them.

This is really only even an issue because it was a old man, had it been a younger person that little shove would not have made him stumble and it wouldn't even have made the news.

Your justification of his treatment hinges on his "putting hands on police." Here's a screen grab from the high def footage:

1591331930330.png

Note that he has a motorcycle helmet in one hand and what appears to be a smartphone in the other. Watch the video at 1/2 speed. He very clearly is using the smartphone hand to point and gesture. He also takes steps backwards as the police get closer and closer.

You'll notice that there was no physical provocation that would justify being forced to move. You're right, though, that if this were a younger man...maybe things would have gone drastically different. That just shows a complete lack of tact by the officers...so they were unable to effectively gauge a threat and overreacted causing who knows what damage to this man.

Your justification of his treatment hinges on his "putting hands on police." Here's a screen grab from the high def footage:

View attachment 706279

Note that he has a motorcycle helmet in one hand and what appears to be a smartphone in the other. Watch the video at 1/2 speed. He very clearly is using the smartphone hand to point and gesture. He also takes steps backwards as the police get closer and closer.

You'll notice that there was no physical provocation that would justify being forced to move. You're right, though, that if this were a younger man...maybe things would have gone drastically different. That just shows a complete lack of tact by the officers...so they were unable to effectively gauge a threat and overreacted causing who knows what damage to this man.

I provided elderly care for my 90 year old WWII navy veteran grandfather. He had severe dementia, but he was also the boxing champ for his weight class In the day.

I kid you not he head butted me in the face when I was trying to get him to take a shower when he thought he didn't need one (despite being covered in crap). It was actually hilarious. Who gets headbutted in the face by a 90 year old?

My point? Old guys aren't completely harmless, they are just more frail. I don't think a shove was completely warranted, but I do think when you put yourself in a tense situation you might be "in the right" and still end up dead. See: people crossing the side walk legally and still getting run over by cars.

Tensions are high right now. Police are under attack in many cases. This doesn't excuse poor police work, but it gives it context where they might not be thinking as clearly as they otherwise could be.

He'll probably win a suit against the police force, but he probably also won't walk up on police like that in the future either (assuming he survives)

Another example. And let me be clear, I'm pro police, family who serve.

It's not all of them whatsoever, but I feel like some people don't understand why I'm upset.

I'm both... Against rioting and looting and against these aggressive police actions against Americans. It's doesn't have to be one or the other.

This guy lost his temper. He yelled at a group of riot police... Smart? No way. Deserving of the level of force then used against him and his innocent wife? The back story is the driver is driving with his pregnant wife, before the video starts a gas canister was reportedly shot at nearby protestors and the driver was very upset that it (not clear here?) his near or on his car, with said pregnant wife.

The resulting action by police against an American who had been found guilty of no crime is heinous, in my humble opinion.

The looting can't continue, the police aggression against non combatant civilians can't continue.

Just watching it again. Showed my kid, doesn't matter if your right or wrong, sometimes it's just not worth it. That guy was literally asking for it, but I expect police to be better than that. He wasn't a threat or even within spitting distance.

Emphasis mine:

Just watching it again. Showed my kid, doesn't matter if your right or wrong, sometimes it's just not worth it. That guy was literally asking for it, but I expect police to be better than that. He wasn't a threat or even within spitting distance.

Many cases of that: Police targeted journalists covering the George Floyd protests

I was watching a livestream from the Phoenix protests and watched as a lone officer broke away from his wall, walked toward a journalist reporting on the event, and then open fire on her and her cameraman. I'm trying to find the video and will post it if I do.

This guy appears to be doing what he was asked, beat down anyway?

Collateral damage happens everywhere there is conflict. Go another route. This is exactly why yesterday when the bus my wife takes home from downtown wasn't running because there was unrest on that block, I told her to head promptly in the opposite direction, work her way down to the waterfront away from it and I could pick her up down there. You will find something wrong happening every time you look for it, the key to avoid becoming collateral is by avoiding the places the action is going on.

I don't agree with what is likely abuse of force and the badge, but I also understand that when things are going side ways, bad things happen to good people and best to avoid the area entirely.

If I was a cop, I would be looking for a new career, maybe starting a private security business. As the police are further neutered, the crime will increase. Those with money will be left with little choice but to buy their security.

Also I will not judge any LEO poorly who chooses to strike, participate in sick outs, goes on disability, etc during these times of extreme ungreatfulness for the job you do.

Edit: LEOs keep in mind most depts have to pay you for two weeks of covid leave, if you qualify. Many officers will qualify. Stay home with your kids for awhile and let the ignorant leaders in your community deal with this mess. If you have been injured, suffered mental distress, etc quit toughing it out. Take leave and give yourself time to heal.

Last Edited:
This is not the way Americans should be treated. This guy is not violent, he's not looting or rioting... This stuff hurts to watch. It's not all cops, but damn, someone's grandpa has to bleed out becuase you're so mad at rioters?

Hope he's OK.

Don't want to be treated like that? Do not walk up to a bunch of Cops in Riot gear and try to touch them. This is the same moron who tries to walk up to the geyser at Yellowstone and cry's when he gets burned.

View attachment 706279

When he sticks his hand in his lawn mower that will be a real shame too. You can't fix stupid because stupidity should be painful but too often it's not.

Don't live in OR but, know a few LEO's here. Off the record? They are sick to their stomach what is going on. Most can not go on a public forum and share how they feel if they want to keep their job. I feel bad for those who are well into a career as they are stuck now. Big city Cops often have MORONS in charge who make a mess, tell the Cops to clean it up, then go to the media to throw their own guys under the buss at every turn. So what are the Cops supposed to do?

So they forfeit their first amendment rights to be employed ? That doesnt sound like freedom.

Don't want to be treated like that? Do not walk up to a bunch of Cops in Riot gear and try to touch them. This is the same moron who tries to walk up to the geyser at Yellowstone and cry's when he gets burned.
When he sticks his hand in his lawn mower that will be a real shame too. You can't fix stupid because stupidity should be painful but too often it's not.

That's the thing, in an "advanced" society, one of the goals is to protect those who need protection.

To be the protector of the less fortunate, no matter what form. I feel like thats a core ideal of my being American. I want us to be the heros.

We've tried to do that, haven't we? Spending American lives and resources in conflicts all around the world, to protect those who needed to be heard?

I know many find that inspiration from religion. Seeking to emulate Jesus or other holy figures, in their works to aid those in need?

If I see my neighbor about to put his hand in the lawn mower, I go help.

So they forfeit their first amendment rights to be employed ? That doesnt sound like freedom.
Sadly you give up your 1st for a LOT of jobs now days. I keep warning any who will listen to be VERY careful with social media. MANY employers look at that first when hiring. You would have to make a point to not watch any news to miss the people who are fired over doing something stupid on Social media these days. If I go on there and say the wrong thing about the place I work? They have made it quite clear they can and will terminate me. Hell people LONG ago decided the 2nd is NOT a right, it's a privilege. So why should the 1st be any different?

A close relative of mine looking to join , luckily he found a much easier job with higher pay .and no nonsense.
Yes a LOT of people who would be great Cops no longer want the job. Can't blame them. Sadly this means a lot of people who should not have the job slip through. I feel bad for the ones who have many years in and so are stuck. They want to finish enough time to get the pension they were promised when they took the job.

Article I saw today.

I hope like hell he does it. I would LOVE to see all the big cities follow along in a race to the bottom. Cut the budget and get rid of a lot of the Cops. Then when crime goes sky high the people who voted these morons in can enjoy what they voted for.

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads