JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is there a reason most don't use a peep sight?

Been looking and most of the ones I've looked at either don't have iron sights or use a notch rear sight.

I know I have always preferred them, Peep. If they are not showing up as much has to be buyers making the choice. I loved them as a kid first time I got to try one. As I have gotten older and eye's don't work with iron well I still prefer them. Guess a lot of shooters must not if they are going away.

I know I have always preferred them, Peep. If they are not showing up as much has to be buyers making the choice. I loved them as a kid first time I got to try one. As I have gotten older and eye's don't work with iron well I still prefer them. Guess a lot of shooters must not if they are going away.
I like all iron sights, but peeps are the ones I'm best with. I even consider just selling the scope on my .308 just to use the iron sights all the time because it has a peep sight.

Even before aging eyes made peep sights pretty much a necessity for any rifle without a scope, I still preferred them.
Honestly, everyone should have one gun with peep sights. Young or old, gets them ready for when the time comes.

Probably because a basic rear peep sight costs about what a basic pellet rifle goes for.
Even the high priced ones use the notch if they have iron sights. And most of the time they either lack sights or just come with a scope. :(

Scopes are too much for the distance, and aperture is what I'd feel most comfortable with for what its purpose is going to be.

.Even the high priced ones use the notch if they have iron sights. And most of the time they either lack sights or just come with a scope. :(

Scopes are too much for the distance, and aperture is what I'd feel most comfortable with for what its purpose is going to be.
Tell me about it! You just gotta get a good peep sight and bite the bullet. I really prefer a peep to a scope on a springer rifle.
The good thing is a peep will work forever and essentially hold its value forever too.

Tell me about it! You just gotta get a good peep sight and bite the bullet. I really prefer a peep to a scope on a springer rifle.
The good thing is a peep will work forever and essentially hold its value forever too.
There are some relatively cheap ones, I just prefer things to be ready to go right after cleaning them. IMHO if a $140 air rifle has a notch sight, a $300+ should at least have a rear peep. Or be ready to have one mounted.

Peep, I prefer receiver sights, are by their very nature more accurate than open sights!
But, they cost 8-10 times more than the opens! :)
And in my cases allows for 8-10 times the fun. :D

I'm also trying to find one that isn't a breakbarrel. Looks like the ones with the velocity I need under $200 are either breakbarrel or something that isn't a gas piston. :(

And in my cases allows for 8-10 times the fun. :D

I'm also trying to find one that isn't a breakbarrel. Looks like the ones with the velocity I need under $200 are either breakbarrel or something that isn't a gas piston. :(
"need"? I think the most accurate pellet rifles (springers only?) are sub 900fps, not magums.. check out tedsholdover on youtube

You don't need a magnum, that's for sure. I've killed over 1000 squirrels with my RWS Diana P-5 Magnum (oops, I misspoke, lol) .177 springer pistol and common dome pellets.
Squirrels here be too damn stubborn. :eek:

I was honestly just gonna get a nitro piston under lever. Its the only piston I can find that isn't a breakbarrel. :mad:

Did find one with diopter sights, but that was a diopter sight and I'm not sure I should use that.

Squirrels here be too damn stubborn. :eek:

I was honestly just gonna get a nitro piston under lever. Its the only piston I can find that isn't a breakbarrel. :mad:

Did find one with diopter sights, but that was a diopter sight and I'm not sure I should use that.
It's placement and being able to hit there. I know how tough squirrels are.. these were normal common ones in NW Oregon. I kept most of my shots to within 15-20 yards but often long 30-40 yard shots were made.
That thing was and is a serious squirrel slammer. I've got nothing against squirrels and I moved from that place but it was just totally out of control with the damage they were doing.. and I got tired of it and was merciless.. for like ten years.. every day.

It's placement and being able to hit there. I know how tough squirrels are.. these were normal common ones in NW Oregon. I kept most of my shots to within 15-20 yards but often long 30-40 yard shots were made.
That thing was and is a serious squirrel slammer. I've got nothing against squirrels and I moved from that place but it was just totally out of control with the damage they were doing.. and I got tired of it and was merciless.. for like ten years.. every day.
I know its placement, but I like having extra insurance.

Most of the ones I'm looking for tend to be in the 800-1200 anyways. Right now I'm looking at one that's .22 with 1000 fps, since it was the only one that isn't a breakbarrel. Also looks like a nice wood stock.

I know its placement, but I like having extra insurance.

Most of the ones I'm looking for tend to be in the 800-1200 anyways. Right now I'm looking at one that's .22 with 1000 fps, since it was the only one that isn't a breakbarrel. Also looks like a nice wood stock.
Sounds good. I've never had any problems with break-barrels or found them lacking one way or another. They'd probably be easier to cock, especially the more powerful ones.

Fan of peep sights here, though I don't have any on my airguns. I think they're a much better iron/open sight than a blade, much easier for me to get that front sight in the circle.

Came across this article that says using peep sights actually helps to improve your vision and acquiring the target - maybe true, maybe not, but I certainly find my results with peep sights to be better than blades. Here is a link to the article, if interested: Peep Sights: How to Improve Your Vision and Shooting

Sounds good. I've never had any problems with break-barrels or found them lacking one way or another. They'd probably be easier to cock, especially the more powerful ones.
I don't think of them having issues, I just have a preference for a barrel staying in place.

Fan of peep sights here, though I don't have any on my airguns. I think they're a much better iron/open sight than a blade, much easier for me to get that front sight in the circle.

Came across this article that says using peep sights actually helps to improve your vision and acquiring the target - maybe true, maybe not, but I certainly find my results with peep sights to be better than blades. Here is a link to the article, if interested: Peep Sights: How to Improve Your Vision and Shooting
Yeah, the only people who say they aren't better are probably folk who are stuck with a notch and blade. :D Its all preference for some. I can use either but there's no denying that peep sights allow for more precision with much more ease.

Hatsan Torpedo 100X Vortex Underlever Air Rifle Pellet Walnut Stock
If I get something like this, what do I need to do to getting a peep sight installed? What I mean is do I just put one on, do I need a taller front sight, etc?

Last Edited:
I don't think of them having issues, I just have a preference for a barrel staying in place.

Yeah, the only people who say they aren't better are probably folk who are stuck with a notch and blade. :D Its all preference for some. I can use either but there's no denying that peep sights allow for more precision with much more ease.

Hatsan Torpedo 100X Vortex Underlever Air Rifle Pellet Walnut Stock
If I get something like this, what do I need to do to getting a peep sight installed? What I mean is do I just put one on, do I need a taller front sight, etc?
I'd see if this wouldn't work.. especially if that rifle is grooved.
Accessories - Open/target sights - PyramydAir.com
http://cdn.pyramydair.com/images/acc/PY-A-2003_Williams-Diopter-Sight_1472590140.jpg
And in my book, peep, receiver, diopter, aperture sights are all the same as they all have a round hole in them.
anyway, good luck

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads