Lack of peep sights?

Discussion in 'Air Rifle & Pistol Discussion' started by Boboclown, May 15, 2017.

1. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter 2017 Volunteer

I've looked at that Williams before - not a bad price. I wonder though if you need a matching front sight? Seems they imply not all front sights will be able to work with that one - I'm assuming due to the height of that sight - may not match the height of the existing front sight?

Boboclown likes this.
  2. Boboclown

Boboclown
    North Carolina
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

3. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter 2017 Volunteer

Can't answer about the sight, but I can say I do like the Hatsan guns I've owned. I still have a break-barrel model in .22ca - it's a hard-hitting gun. I do like that underlever model you linked though, might be something to consider down the road.

I know you're trying to avoid a break-barrel, but I own one of these - and bought one for my FIL, who uses it to dispatch squirrels and other varmints - works really well - just ditch the cheasy scope they insist on including the FO sight they include works just fine - good price on this one too:

Crosman Optimus Breakbarrel Air Rifle Combo. Air rifles

4. Boboclown

Boboclown
    North Carolina

I was also thinking of going nitro piston since those are less sensitive to weather.

etrain16 likes this.
  5. ditchtiger

ditchtiger
    In the sticks, Willamette Valley

How about this set up.
    pellet 001.JPG pellet 002.JPG pellet 003.JPG

Boboclown likes this.
  6. Boboclown

Boboclown
    North Carolina

I ended up getting a used RWS Model 48 off an auction.

Just gonna put a rear aperture on the weaver rail and see if I can knock out the notch rear sight.

etrain16 likes this.
  7. ikemay

ikemay
    Just call me Mike

Peep sights are nice. I have a Williams peep on my Benjamin 392 (.22). I can pick off small (1"-2") pine cones setup on a saw horse 30-40 feet out. It even put a hole in a 5 gallon bucket at 70'ish feet away, didn't think it would have enough power for that, now the bucket has a piece of duct tape on it LOL! Anyway, it really likes the basic Crosman 14.3gr wadcutter. It's only rated at 685 fps, but I would think it's plenty for the smaller redish squirrels we have around here.

8. gesasky

gesasky
    Prineville OR

So I have been looking into switching my stock Marlin 336 sights over to some sort of aperture / peep sight. Should I go with a receiver mounted or tang mounted rear sight? Also which is more accurate? Post or bead for the front post? Thank yall in advance

AndyinEverson likes this.
  9. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.
    Moderator with a Black powder affinity... Staff Member Bronze Supporter

I really like the Lyman 66 series of Peep sights for Marlin's and Winchesters...
    Andy

ikemay and gesasky like this.
  10. ikemay

ikemay
    Just call me Mike

You might be able to use a tang sight, not sure how the screws will line up or if you will need to drill a hole and tap. I really like my receiver peep sights, very durable and kind of set them and forget them once you dial in your ammo and distances. As far as accuracy, both will give you a longer sight radius and should improve your accuracy if you do your part. Though tang sights generally are easier to adjust for distances and ammo changes. At least that is my understanding of them. And, they do have a very nice traditional style to them. I have never used them unfortunately.

Post or bead is up to you, my Winchester 30-30 has a post with a white line up the middle ---- from XS Ghost Sights with their corresponding receiver peep/aperture. My Marlin 39A .22 has a Skinner receiver peep/aperture with the factory bead front site.

If you need to file down a front sight, a post will be the easiest to file down if necessary ...... bead front sight, not so much.

Hope that helps you, best of luck.:s0155::s0155:

gesasky and AndyinEverson like this.
  11. KKG

KKG
    Western Washington

I believe the Lyman #2 Tang Sight will work on most Marlin Lever Guns. Haven't installed one in a while but I think that's the right number. Another Brownells item.:):):)

gesasky, ikemay and AndyinEverson like this.
  12. ditchtiger

ditchtiger

Was about to get my RWS out for pics. Then saw I already had. :rolleyes:
    Should do better pics though.

ikemay likes this.
  13. KKG

KKG
    Western Washington

14. ditchtiger

ditchtiger

I know, but works great if not thrown into a truck bed. Kidding aside. not fragile. Works very well.

ikemay and KKG like this.