Lack of peep sights?

Discussion in 'Air Rifle & Pistol Discussion' started by Boboclown, May 15, 2017.

1. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2017 Volunteer

I've looked at that Williams before - not a bad price. I wonder though if you need a matching front sight? Seems they imply not all front sights will be able to work with that one - I'm assuming due to the height of that sight - may not match the height of the existing front sight?

Boboclown likes this.
  2. Boboclown

Boboclown
    North Carolina

3. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2017 Volunteer

Can't answer about the sight, but I can say I do like the Hatsan guns I've owned. I still have a break-barrel model in .22ca - it's a hard-hitting gun. I do like that underlever model you linked though, might be something to consider down the road.

I know you're trying to avoid a break-barrel, but I own one of these - and bought one for my FIL, who uses it to dispatch squirrels and other varmints - works really well - just ditch the cheasy scope they insist on including the FO sight they include works just fine - good price on this one too:

Crosman Optimus Breakbarrel Air Rifle Combo. Air rifles

4. Boboclown

Boboclown
    North Carolina

I was also thinking of going nitro piston since those are less sensitive to weather.

etrain16 likes this.
  5. ditchtiger

ditchtiger
    In the sticks, Willamette Valley

How about this set up.
    pellet 001.JPG pellet 002.JPG pellet 003.JPG

Boboclown likes this.
  6. Boboclown

Boboclown
    North Carolina

I ended up getting a used RWS Model 48 off an auction.

Just gonna put a rear aperture on the weaver rail and see if I can knock out the notch rear sight.

etrain16 likes this.
  7. ikemay

ikemay
    Just call me Mike

Peep sights are nice. I have a Williams peep on my Benjamin 392 (.22). I can pick off small (1"-2") pine cones setup on a saw horse 30-40 feet out. It even put a hole in a 5 gallon bucket at 70'ish feet away, didn't think it would have enough power for that, now the bucket has a piece of duct tape on it LOL! Anyway, it really likes the basic Crosman 14.3gr wadcutter. It's only rated at 685 fps, but I would think it's plenty for the smaller redish squirrels we have around here.