JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know nothing of this subject but have been doing some reading and I am fairly surprised at the standard deviations air rifles are getting these days. Better than most rimfires and pellets are far less expensive.

So, what should a beginner buy?

What air compressor should a beginner buy?

Thanks!

Reno

I love my fx impact 2, I got it in the 25 cal. I've been using it in town to kill coyotes. Great on pigeons and ground squirls too! 125 yards is my longest shot on a ground squirl. We bought a China made compressor and it seems to be working just fine. They arnt cheap but the quality is unbeatable in my opinion

20230312_115848.jpg
That's 10 shots with it at 50 yards

I suppose you have been checking prices and reviews. How much do you want to spend? How will it be mostly used? What caliber are you wanting?
I'm not against a 1k-2k rifle if it performs like a 1k-2k rifle. I don't want to spend that amount of it isn't going to be amazing as I would rather stick with a high end rimfire.

Mostly used for plinking where 22lr gets used but without the hassle of sourcing 22lr ammo. Some varmint hunting use. Paper punching.

I don't know what the differences are when it comes to air rifle calibers. I've owned a 17 and 22 break barrels in the past and that's about the limit of my knowledge. If one is more accurate or better for finding slugs and or pellets, I'm all ears.

I know nothing of this subject but have been doing some reading and I am fairly surprised at the standard deviations air rifles are getting these days. Better than most rimfires and pellets are far less expensive.

Thanks!

Reno
Assuming you like AR's? The one Sig imports with their name on it is a TON of fun. They are semi, mag fed, 30 round mags. They are heavy enough they feel like a rifle not a toy. I bought one in .22 for both fun on the property and pest control.
I bought a compressor to fill tanks
There are hand pumps but when I watched video of them being used thought too lazy. This one is used to fill tanks for paint ball markers I use to run off Geese and the bottles for the PCP and so far is working great.

Thanks!

Reno
Be aware this is legitimately one of the largest rabbit holes you can go down. Having said that, imo the barrel is everything. I would go with lothar Walther choked barrel if you possibly can. Finding exactly the right pellet is second most important cuz you can have an incredibly accurate gun but if you are using pellets it doesn't like they will be all over the place.

Third recognize the fps difference (and performance difference) with varying pressure. Fe my marauder pcp .22 pistol is not as accurate above 2700 psi and below 1850 psi. The sweet spot where there is really no variation at all is 2150-2600. It takes maybe 50 pumps on the hand pump to get it from 1800-psi to 2800. Takes no time at all. I only use the $50 hand pump and have for about 9 years now. Do not buy Benjamin brand hand pump. It's complete garbage.

Also don't go for the super high power guns. As you get into really fast speeds the accuracy suffers, a lot. There are very few guns out there such as the Ed gun that break that rule (they are very expensive) but buy and large the most accurate guns are not the highest power guns.

Lastly people will tell you how much you have to spend. That is usually based on how much they spent and the need to justify it Imo.

One price example is in the past I bought a crosman custom shop 2240 pistol with 11" lothar Walther choked barrel. That co2 powered, scoped pistol with the right pellet and shooting as slow as I want I could (and did) put pellets in the same hole time after time indefinitely (@ 20 yards). I think the most I ever did was 21 pellets in the same hole (not a ragged hole). Must cost a lot right? No It was around $115 not including scope. I think they called it k2300 or k2400. Crosman custom shop may have custom pcp guns too I don't know. You can specify all the specs you want and they'll build it. Very cost effective way to go if they offer pcp. Most important by far is the lothar Walther barrel.

My marauder pistol was about $350 as I recall. Have taken probably about 2000-2500 pests with it over the years. It's very accurate with the right pellet but not in that unbelievable league you find with a lothar Walther barrel. I use standard 1913 rail folding braces/stocks on it.

Another suggestion is to buy a tko muzzle break. Reduces sound so much you won't believe it.

One of the neatest things Imo about air rifles is the drop and wind drift of the pellet. With the right scope you can make remarkable shots.

Skip to 7:35 mark in this video for an example:

Edit: looked at their website and they have a marauder pistol with lothar Walther barrel but available on .177 only. Stick a tko muzzle brake on that and add a small piece of pic rail to the back for the stock and you would be good to go. But it's spendy and you have to be ok with .177

I did get a quote from a guy back east to add a lothar Walther barrel to a stock marauder pistol or marauder rifle. It was $250-$350 I can't remember. Those barrels are spendy but worth every penny imo.

Last Edited:
I don't think I'm looking for speed. I'd like to stay subsonic. I like the idea of being able to get repeatable FPS. I've been watching tons of vids online. Seems like the FPS patterns are WAY better than 22lr at a much lower price per slug/pellet. That's whats really got my attention. Repeatability.

My favorite is my single shot airforce condor SS. It has a lothar walther barrel in .25 and a sound moderator. It's a tack driver and about all you can hear is the sound of the hammer clicking. I bought mine from a guy that had every bell and whistle you can get for it on and fine tuned by Talon... then never used it. It saved me quite a bundle, but they certainly aren't cheap. Back then it still ran about $1200 (w/scope).
1682054674321.jpeg

Compressor... I also use one of the portable chinese 4500psi water cooled jobs. IIRC, it was around $250 shipped. It's been run hard and served very well. I think the main downside being that replacement parts are about nonexistant. Knock on wood... the only issue I've had with it was having to swap out a defunct power switch.
1682054626799.jpeg

I have a very high quality manual pump as well, but those are about a joke in the higher pressure PCP's. I tried it a couple of times, they work, but the workout and time it takes to partially charge a tank is not for the feint of heart. Without a compressor it's easy enough to have a tank recharged, but the main downside being that most places that will do it can take several days to a week or more to charge them. A drop your tank off and pick it up later deal that's quite an inconvenience.

If you're handy, it's not incredibly expensive to put together a larger refill tank setup.

There is an incredible variety of ammo available. Pellets all the way up to varies weight slugs in all configurations. That makes for cheap plinking while still being able to step it up for small game/yotes, etc.

Since you're not afraid of a price tag, I would certainly consider FX guns. And caliber is a personal preference. .22 bucks the wind better than .177, but the FX guns shoot slugs really well in both c's, and can be shot accurately at longer distances. I would opt for .22 most likely. They are highly adjustable and very accurate.
I would also spring for a higher end compressor, maybe a Yong Heng (sp?) and be sure it will produce the same pressures that your gun requires.
Be advised, you are definitely heade down a rabbit hole. This sport is VERY addictive. The most fun I've had with my clothes on for quite a while.

While I have added some more expensive pcp guns to the stable, my original .22 hatsan flashpup still gets shot the most and is performing well with probably 8-10,000 rounds through it. It hovers right at 1 moa accuracy wise and is very quiet. I originally bought a good hill hand pump which works great but I have also added a small electric compressor. I have made some amazing shots with this gun and starlings hate it! Links attached.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/hatsan-flashpup-qe-pcp-air-rifle?m=4582

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/air-venturi-mk5-pump-kit-by-hill-hand-pump-up-to-4500-psi?a=9655

Thanks!

Reno
Since this will be your first pcp, avoid the FX Impact. The Impact is a great pcp, but is a tuners gun. You don't say what the primary purpose is going to be, so a specific pcp is a tough call. Also you don't seem to have a budget. Punching paper off the bench or a field gun? There are several brands and models for each. My interest is hunting. So weigh and to some extent length are important to me. KISS: keep it simple shooter. Choose a pcp with a reputation for reliability. ALL pcps will need work at some point. As to compressors, check Walmart for the Yung hung . Had mine for 4yrs. Get a good filter, keep it under 50°c and your good to go. If you can wait until June, the Avenger X is going to be released. Check it out. Not the same as the Avenger. So now you have just opened the proverbial "Pandora's box". As long as you pursue the pcp addiction, you'll never need to worry about what to with your $$$. Bill and Addi. PS: Welcome to the funnest pastime you can do with your clothes on.

The Marauder is a pretty nice mid level rifle. Accurate. May be more suited to targets than pesting due to length and weight.
o p, you stated that you don't know about caliber differences. .22 may be the best all around. I shoot both. Tend to shoot .177 mostly right now, just because my new bull pup is .177, and almost silent. My .22's tend to be my benchrest guns as they are better at distance, but I am testing .177 slugs tomorrow to see if I can get accuracy at 75-100 yds.
The larger the caliber, the larger the game you can take, but I have seen rabbits tea kettled at 59yds with .177.
Now you must choose between standard rifle or bull pup or tactical. Remember that wood stocks make for heavier guns. My Benjamin Cayden is Turkish walnut and weighs about the same as my old Husqvarna 30/06. That Marauder is going to be about the same. I'm leaning towards bullpups . Even the heavy ones handle easier.
Lots to consider, my friend. Pm me if you would like to talk more, in private. I'll give you my phone number.

This company was brought up in another thread. Take a look at these too. The semi version was SUPER tempting to me.

I don't pretend to know all the guns out there but in terms of accuracy I think airguns are pretty simple, consistent charge of air per shot, good barrel, pellet the gun likes. Beyond that it's tons of personal preference stuff.

One of the Edguns would be my one and only airgun if it was worth it to me to spend $2k on an airgun. Honestly any of the ones mentioned here like condor, Hatsan, etc air going to be great guns.

D2384172-6FB3-49E5-9379-E42F5B979903.jpeg
371F0888-A94D-4C2E-8F0B-0017DBA0F71B.png

Since this will be your first pcp, avoid the FX Impact. The Impact is a great pcp, but is a tuners gun. You don't say what the primary purpose is going to be, so a specific pcp is a tough call. Also you don't seem to have a budget. Punching paper off the bench or a field gun? There are several brands and models for each. My interest is hunting. So weigh and to some extent length are important to me. KISS: keep it simple shooter. Choose a pcp with a reputation for reliability. ALL pcps will need work at some point. As to compressors, check Walmart for the Yung hung . Had mine for 4yrs. Get a good filter, keep it under 50°c and your good to go. If you can wait until June, the Avenger X is going to be released. Check it out. Not the same as the Avenger. So now you have just opened the proverbial "Pandora's box". As long as you pursue the pcp addiction, you'll never need to worry about what to with your $$$. Bill and Addi. PS: Welcome to the funnest pastime you can do with your clothes on.
I have never adjust anything on my fx. Just let it set from the factory and can't be happier. I shoot it everyday for work

I have never adjust anything on my fx. Just let it set from the factory and can't be happier. I shoot it everyday for work
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm assuming you have the Impact. The attraction of the Impact is tunability. I've had 3 impacts over the past several years and like you, I only tune once. Then leave it alone. I know, you didn't tune at all. With 60+ O-rings a leak is coming soon. I have a 25cal Wildcat mk3 that is simpler, as accurate and can make almost 70fpe. The tunability of the Impact was lost on me. I can't see spending $2,000+ for a highly tunable gun that I am not going to fiddle with endlessly. There's a reason Matt Dauber says the Impact is not his favorite. It's the Wildcat.
🍻 Bill and Addi.

I've watched a ton of videos on the FX lines and they seem to be all over the place when switching pellots?

Then there is the Air Venturi Avenger that has an absolutely horrid stock but seems to be extremely accurate for the price?

You guys are right, this is a hell of a rabbit hole.

Im lost, seems like $$$ doesn't quite mean better precision in this world? Kind of like how a kid running an almost stock CZ 457 destroys the guys running 8 grand of gear on their voodoo each month at NRL!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top