JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What a beautiful place!!! I am putting this on my Places to Fish Bucket list!!!
Thanks for sharing.;)

The entire northast corner of oregon is great fishing, take a drift float trip from Troy to Minam. It's a long float with no outside access so the fish are big and it's all natural. From the town of Wallowa to Minam there is foot access and the water not too fast yet nice pools with big fish. Wallowa lake itself is very difficult on foot except the south end where the state building is. Great fishing for kokes even off the bank but it really does take the right bait.

From the lake you go east and follow the Imnaha river south and hit the well stocked mountain lakes along the way to the Snake river. The Snake is a paradise to fish and the road follows it. Great schools of squaw fish and crappies as big as the end of a 5 gallon bucket. Catfish that are as big as the tailgate of your truck and crawdads half the size of lobster. There are dangerous snake on the river.

Been through there many times, if you pass it up you have missed the most beauiful journey in oregon. Hells canyon is part of it. Life has been very good to me.

Last Edited:
Mac is easy, fish deep with large hard baits that look like trout. If you can find a rearing net, match the size of fish in the net and jig near the bottom, usually works.
They like to hang out in the last ten feet of about 70' of water, but can go deeper. If there is a cobble or boulder bottom, all the better.
Troll herring, or Kokanee... for Mackinaw.

The entire northast corner of oregon is great fishing, take a drift float trip from Troy to Minam. It's a long float with no outside access so the fish are big and it's all natural. From the town of Wallowa to Minam there is foot access and the water not too fast yet nice pools with big fish. Wallowa lake itself is very difficult on foot except the south end where the state building is. Great fishing for kokes even off the bank but it really does take the right bait.

From the lake you go east and follow the Imnaha river south and hit the well stocked mountain lakes along the way to the Snake river. The Snake is a paradise to fish and the road follows it. Great schools of squaw fish and crappies as big as the end of a 5 gallon bucket. Catfish that are as big as the tailgate of your truck and crawdads half the size of lobster. There are dangerous snake on the river.

Been through there many times, if you pass it up you have missed the most beauiful journey in oregon. Hells canyon is part of it. Life has been very good to me.

Since moving to the Pacific Northwest from the South over 30 years ago I have always felt that I was born a hundred years too late.
There is just something about the Majestic mountains, lakes and streams here that have kept me from ever leaving this country.

SHHHHHHHH!!!! There are people that live here!!!

I gave away Wallowa Lake because I don't have a boat to fish there anymore. But come on... let's not invite the whole PNW to visit!!! ;)

Talking about Wallowa lake is like talking about Lava or East Lake, they've already held the national finals for fly fishing there... if anyone goes, they probably already knew it was there. :p

Trolling is fun when at least 1 of two conditions is met:

Good company with good conversation

Fish are biting frequently

If company is lousy, and the fish aren't biting, you're on a slow, agonizing boat ride to nowhere.

But provided one or the other is good, trolling ain't bad. I like to flatline when I can, and run riggers when I can't. Divers and weights kill the fun of the fight on anything smaller than a steelhead.
I like trolling it's like you said good company I have done it by myself .
But usually best if you got someone who can run the downriggers and the other drive the boat and watch the depth and fish finder lol

Talking about Wallowa lake is like talking about Lava or East Lake, they've already held the national finals for fly fishing there... if anyone goes, they probably already knew it was there. :p

Yep, it's been heavily publicized. Along with the Eagle Cap Wilderness (Oregon Alps) and it's beautiful trails and high lakes. I've always cringed when reading about this area that I live in.

Up here for Chinook / king salmon .
You want the gear on the bottom so someone to watch the depth is a good thing .
Because dragging or bouncing 10 or12 lbs down rigger balls on the bottom could lead to a very exspesive day lol .
Go ahead ask me how I know this .lol

Depends on who I'm with by my self no drinking .
If I have a boat driver that don't drink then I can have a few LOL

Meh, I don't care if my fishing partners/drivers drink (beer only, well a gal could have a wine cooler or a Mike's) as long as they stay in the legal range. YMMV.

No pot smockin tho. Shlit makes your depth perception and reaction times go all to hell. "Wow man! You see that big F'N cruise ship coming right at us? Trippy Dude! Holy Crap it looks HUGE. Blub blub blub." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Since moving to the Pacific Northwest from the South over 30 years ago I have always felt that I was born a hundred years too late.
There is just something about the Majestic mountains, lakes and streams here that have kept me from ever leaving this country.

I have been here 66 years and traveled the state all my life, gods country.

Not to worry, people dont' have the time or money to get back in that area and truly enjoy it.:D
It's too bad you used to be able to buy a fishing license cheap get a small box of gear and go .
Now a fishing license cost so much the gear cost so much gas and everything else .for a weekend fishing trip is a week's pay LOL

Lol I save little bit of money here and there for a year so I can spend a week fishing in Oregon Then a few months after that I spend a week in Shasta lake . that's not too bad because I stay at freinds house .then every other year I go down south for two weeks fishing .but lots of people can't afford to go for a weekend .
And that is sad .

It's too bad you used to be able to buy a fishing license cheap get a small box of gear and go .
Now a fishing license cost so much the gear cost so much gas and everything else .for a weekend fishing trip is a week's pay LOL
Your not old enough.......my hunting/fishing disabled vet/ old guy licence was something like 30.00 for 3 years including my permit to shoot from a vehicle. Washington state even has disabled vet licenses for non residents.

Your not old enough.......my hunting/fishing disabled vet/ old guy licence was something like 30.00 for 3 years including my permit to shoot from a vehicle. Washington state even has disabled vet licenses for non residents.
My mom has hunting license from her dad she saved from years ago I can't remember now how much it was for a deer tag but I think it was less than what I spend for a six pack of beer LOL

.but lots of people can't afford to go for a weekend .

And that's why I sold my boat!!! Can't afford to go to Brownlee, can't afford to go to Wallowa Lake. Bought a $50 license last year to fish a little lake only 10min away, but my buddy wanted to go up to Lostine River... It was running very high and we never wet a line. Didn't go the rest of the year!! :(:mad::mad::mad:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads