JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep all kinds of gear to fool the
fish erman. :D:D:D
I like the first one & I'll bet that it would also entice a steelhead to bite.;)
I get solitude on the water with my Lab, she's not that bright but she loves to watch me reel in fishes...:p
My grandfather born in 1902 used to frequently talk about lures that caught more fishermen than fish.

There has been a traditional battle between sport fishing and commercial fishing. It seems to me all the farming should reduce the overall price of Salmon reducing the commercial fishing pressure. I worked around the Tuna fish farms off shore south of Ensenada years ago with one of my workboats setting anchors and other pedestrian stuff. At that time, all of those fish were going to Japan where the prices were the highest. I bought and sold work boats to British Columbia salmon farmers. Never had a chance to personally go to them. I think the biggest were on the north east coast of the island (Vancouver) at that time. The Sea Lion's can be very damaging on the resource as well. They are greedy, wasteful, smart and protected. They have all but destroyed (at least at one time) the run into lake Washington through the locks. All that being said, everyone has ideas and theories but there is a very natural eb and flow of all the earthly systems including the marine ecosystem that we are intent on controlling......good luck with that.......things we are familiar with are in constant change, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. Scientists say that at some point the earth will drastically and quickly change its axis's like it has many times before (that is why there is so much oil in the Artic) what are we going to do to then?

Yep, I don't have any faith at all in any GOV fishery management especially those that are politically enticed.
Junk science & studies only show the work of the ones whom would want to fund it, not the best interest of the fish or wildlife.
The PNW has been in dire straights since the late 70's due to a number of causes.

In my neck of the woods, the Chehalis watershed is impacted not only by habitat destructive logging practices but over 50% of the runs with destinations here are intercepted by the Alaskan & Canadian nets. That is a fact that WDFW threw out at one of the many meetings I've attended over the years.
And knowing that makes it hard for us to throw back the unclipped hatchery fish that netters, either tribal or non tribal get to keep.:mad:

I don't wear mine enough but last night nearly forgot to take them out before shooting on the back deck to call the dogs in.........that would have been bad.

Good thing.... My single HA has a setting that cancels out noise above 85db like the electronic ear protection muffs.;)
But I have to make damn sure as to what the setting is before I shoot.:p:p:p

Good thing.... My single HA has a setting that cancels out noise above 85db like the electronic ear protection muffs.;)
But I have to make damn sure as to what the setting is before I shoot.:p:p:p
The VA said mine would just self destruct. They didn't mention what it would do to my ears.

So there I was at the sporting goods counter in a store in Medford and I asked them what worked best to catch fish in the different lakes I was taking my family to. So I wrote down what he said and planned to hit severe lakes in the week to come and bought what he said would work.

Wife and daughter on the lake bank and I start dressing poles with the gear he recommended and what a big mistake.:confused: We were catching big fish so fast we limited out and I never got a pole in the water. There were smiles in camp that night as I cooked some up. Fishing is good.:)

Unfortunately, some of that "...back in the day..." stuff might be part of the problem.

The reason there are hatcheries IS because of overharvest from comercial fishing "back in the day". The runs have never made and will never make a significant comeback to eliminate them as planned. Yet it's the sport fisheries that are the ones who brunt the vast conservation restrictions and methods. The nets kill everything that swims into them!!!

I personally know the Indians are the MAJOR part of the Problem out on the Coast. Them and the Judge Bolt garbage. I saw a Fish Hatchery that they spent $2M on that consisted of a two foot ditch running out of the River into a kiddy pool and then back into the River by way of another two foot ditch. I also pulled Four to Six Nets out of the River every Friday because the Indians were too lazy to do it. I had to kill everything that was in those Nets. And where I stored those Nets is now a Fancy Restaurant! I know they were taking about 25% more Salmon than they were supposed to. But the 25-50 fish limits didn't help any either.

I lnow, I was stationed in Pacific Beach for 2 years and made many a trip to Taholah.

You rich folk and your fancy down riggers.... I've always just used Ford Fenders and a double hook wedding ring with Shrimp on 5hecfirat hook and a worm on the second. Worked at Merwin, and up at Riffe. Been a while though.

No, I don't think so. We always had Kamloop trout in the lake.........they are basically rainbow trout that get big enough to eat the blueback and then explode in size. My University of Idaho ichthyologist friends say the Mackinaw is a much more voracious feeder feeding on very young fish that really decimated the population. I don't know a lot about them, seems like they should be a a good game fish in there own rite but for some reason, they seem to be unpopular or difficult to catch.......maby someone here knows about them.

The Macs in Wallowa Lake are notoriously hard to catch. Some people just groove on the challenge and the special nature of that thrill. Personally, I get bored too easily. And if I want to feel a heavy fish, I go for Skamania strain steelhead or chinook salmon. :D

Last Edited:
I don't wear mine enough but last night nearly forgot to take them out before shooting on the back deck to call the dogs in.........that would have been bad.

Not too bad if you have your muffs on.

Anyway, I've forgotten to take mine out before showering, and many times before I go to bed. Have had to send them in for repair too! :oops::rolleyes:

You rich folk and your fancy down riggers.... I've always just used Ford Fenders and a double hook wedding ring with Shrimp on 5hecfirat hook and a worm on the second. Worked at Merwin, and up at Riffe. Been a while though.

Boy don't cha know them things are worth their weight in fish, we eat good.... lol And what the heck is a 5hecfirat hook??? Talk about Rich???:p:p:p

Yah, I prefer fighting the fish bareback vs all that fender crap on the line. Besides, I had hand me down, beat up downriggers I got from my old bozzman. Not a rich guy at all.:rolleyes:

BTW... what depth were you fishing?

They are greedy, wasteful, and protected.

Congress?

Scientists say that at some point the earth will drastically and quickly change its axis's like it has many times before (that is why there is so much oil in the Artic) what are we going to do to then?

Go fishin!!!

my Lab, she's not that bright but she loves to watch me reel in fishes...

Yah I got to watch the wife reel in salmon while I was busy trying to find time to bait my rod, put her fish away, bait her back up, then boom she's got one on again, and my lab/shepard cross always attacked the fish. Sigh.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top