JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bet that was a sight to see...:s0114::s0114::s0114:

I used to get comp time when I worked in Brookings OR... when the salmon were in on the Chetco, I took the wife fishin before going to work at noon. We had a nice little spot where she loved to drag a spinner while I drift fished roe... she would catch 5 nice kings before 9am to my 1 fish.

The dog just loved to fish... all that wrigglin comin out of the water just sent her shivering with joy and barking... then she'd make a lunge for the fish. Didn't matter what kind of fish or how big, she loved them all. From bass and trout, to salmon etc. Once in North Carolina she was wading near Kitty Hawk and kept sticking her head underwater. Eventually she brought me a cute little pinfish about the size of a bluegill!! Gosh I miss that dog!!!!

Why I love lures and rarely fish bait, I am fishing instantly when I unhook from the hook keeper... I typically pre-tie what I think will work on a couple rods, except fly rods. But I am a rod junkie, and cannot go fishing with less than 2, usually 3 or 4 rods, each setup differently.

Gear fishing, I will have one with a jig, one with a crankbait of some sort, and usually one with a drop shot or texas rig.

Fly fishing, I will have one rod setup to nymph, one for either dry flies, streamers, or poppers depending on target.

Its damn near impossible for me to commit to ooooone rod.

You and me bro!! You and me!!!!

When I had my bass boat for Brownlee etc, I had 10 prerigged rods on board. I could just pick one up and be fishin a different lure.

Caught my first chrome steelhead on the Telwa River in Canada on an old beat up rod and a bright drift spinner in gin clear water.

Caught this nice hen in 1988 on the Winchuck from the bank with a homemade Jed Davis spinner and a steelhead rod with 12lb test.
Photos&Scans 369.jpg

Red's Horse Ranch Kamloops (I love the way the run and zigzag
Photos&Scans 397.jpg

My dad had rheumatica and was on heavy doses of prednisone, but I couldn't keep him off the water. (and wouldn't anyway. But he'd been battling this chinook for 15 minutes when he finally agreed to let me take the rod and land the fish. He was sooo happy tho)
Photos&Scans 493.jpg

Telkwa River trout (might be Dollies tho) and flyrod
Photos&Scans 501.jpg

Trolling Wallowa Lake for Nessie
Photos&Scans 721.jpg

Yah, I prefer fighting the fish bareback vs all that fender crap on the line. Besides, I had hand me down, beat up downriggers I got from my old bozzman. Not a rich guy at all.:rolleyes:

BTW... what depth were you fishing?
I don't know? I never swam down and measured.
:D

We measured by how many times the line guide crossed the reel... can't remember how many. It's been over 15 years and a major concussion ago.:confused:

We measured by how many times the line guide crossed the reel... can't remember how many. It's been over 15 years and a major concussion ago.:confused:

Hmmmm, strange to say the least. I can remember my first puppy dog all of my friends and members of my little league baseball team but I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast most days. Don't feel bad bro I't only gets worse once you hit 60 then your over the hill.
:D:D:D:p

Why I love lures and rarely fish bait, I am fishing instantly when I unhook from the hook keeper... I typically pre-tie what I think will work on a couple rods, except fly rods. But I am a rod junkie, and cannot go fishing with less than 2, usually 3 or 4 rods, each setup differently.

Gear fishing, I will have one with a jig, one with a crankbait of some sort, and usually one with a drop shot or texas rig.

Fly fishing, I will have one rod setup to nymph, one for either dry flies, streamers, or poppers depending on target.

Its damn near impossible for me to commit to ooooone rod.

I sure bet that I could pick you out of a line-up on the river with all those rods... lol
I too had a few extra rods with me when I was bank angling. I'd bring along a drift fishing rig, a jig rod and a spoon rod. I like to cover a lot of water but it was a hassle to keep an eye on them and remember where they were when I started a drift.

Caught my first chrome steelhead on the Telwa River in Canada on an old beat up rod and a bright drift spinner in gin clear water.

Caught this nice hen in 1988 on the Winchuck from the bank with a homemade Jed Davis spinner and a steelhead rod with 12lb test.
View attachment 458412

Red's Horse Ranch Kamloops (I love the way the run and zigzag
View attachment 458415

My dad had rheumatica and was on heavy doses of prednisone, but I couldn't keep him off the water. (and wouldn't anyway. But he'd been battling this chinook for 15 minutes when he finally agreed to let me take the rod and land the fish. He was sooo happy tho)
View attachment 458416

Telkwa River trout (might be Dollies tho) and flyrod
View attachment 458417

Trolling Wallowa Lake for Nessie
View attachment 458418

What memories we amass during our busy lives, especially those of the outdoors. I lost many of my childhood, family & fishing pictures in a move years ago.

:D if they found a way to render those fat seals down for women's makeup we could cure the seal problem and women would go along with it happily. If baby seals could cure women's wrinkles the fish runs would be back in a year.:s0140:

Sorry to read that you had a big concussion!

About the downriggers... the lake where I fish for Kokes has a max depth of 299'! Fishin for Kokanee was anywhere from 25' to 85'/115'. I prefer to be able to control the depth of my troll with the downriggers. It's just easier.

wallowa_lake_fishing.gif
26" Kokanee state record. 38# Mackinaw from the deepest area.

Good info on this lake here: Wallowa Lake Fishing Map | Wallowa Mountain Properties - Wallowa County Real Estate

What memories we amass during our busy lives, especially those of the outdoors. I lost many of my childhood, family & fishing pictures in a move years ago.

I scanned many of mine and keep them not only on my desktop PC but backed up to the cloud.

Since I'm diabetic and a bunch of other maladies that require meds, I've lost many childhood memories. It gets embarrassing when interacting with blasts from the past. One gal that I apparently took to the Jr High prom gushed over having her first kiss with me... I couldn't remember her at all!! In addition I can't remember what I had for breakfast etc. Maybe it's a blessing cuz I sure like to forget the meal I had last Saturday. I spaced and put uncooked morels on my salad... got sooooo sick and have not been well since!

Sorry to read that you had a big concussion!

About the downriggers... the lake where I fish for Kokes has a max depth of 299'! Fishin for Kokanee was anywhere from 25' to 85'/115'. I prefer to be able to control the depth of my troll with the downriggers. It's just easier.

View attachment 458483
26" Kokanee state record. 38# Mackinaw from the deepest area.

Good info on this lake here: Wallowa Lake Fishing Map | Wallowa Mountain Properties - Wallowa County Real Estate

What a beautiful place!!! I am putting this on my Places to Fish Bucket list!!!
Thanks for sharing.;)

I scanned many of mine and keep them not only on my desktop PC but backed up to the cloud.

Since I'm diabetic and a bunch of other maladies that require meds, I've lost many childhood memories. It gets embarrassing when interacting with blasts from the past. One gal that I apparently took to the Jr High prom gushed over having her first kiss with me... I couldn't remember her at all!! In addition I can't remember what I had for breakfast etc. Maybe it's a blessing cuz I sure like to forget the meal I had last Saturday. I spaced and put uncooked morels on my salad... got sooooo sick and have not been well since!

I too have to watch what I do and my wife seems like a hawk, hovering and waiting for my next move when building the perfect meal. She pretty much leaves me alone when I'm fixing a peanut butter and nanner sammich though...:p

I admit that I do have sometimers and dread the day that it becomes full blown memory loss. Take Me Out to the South 40 and put me out of my misery is what my family has been instructed to do if that happens.

I too have to watch what I do and my wife seems like a hawk, hovering and waiting for my next move when building the perfect meal. She pretty much leaves me alone when I'm fixing a peanut butter and nanner sammich though...:p

I can relate. My wife has been trained to leave me be because if she doesn't, I bark at her. But she has been more concerned since I started losing sight in my right eye... I even ran a stop sign in the wee early hours when it was still dark. We had to sell our 36' trailer because I can't see on that side very well. Now looking for a smaller one for camping trips locally.

Try adding marshmallow creme to yer pb and nanner sammie! It's yummie!!!!!!!

Mother's Day is the best time of year for Koke fishing. But the fishing can be good thru July. Then you go for Macs.:D Edit: or if on the coast it's time for 1/2 pounders or even ocean fishing.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top