JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just finished installing my new console vault in my truck.

170219_Gunsafe.jpg

I ordered it from gunsafes.com. I highly recommend them if you are planning to order online, for these reasons:
  1. I had just finished placing my online order when the automated receipt arrived in my email box. No big deal as these things are automated. But before I had even finished reading the email, the phone rang. It was customer service rep calling to ask for a street address for delivery (I had given our PO Box). That was quick! I've never had a seller contact me that fast.
  2. I ordered on Thursday. The shipping was free. The package arrived via Fed Ex on Saturday afternoon. I wish Amazon was that fast (they used to be…)!
  3. Setting the combination was easy-peezy.
  4. Installation was easy with one hiccup: The 2 attaching bolts included had Phillips-head tops, but there wasn't enough room to hold a screwdriver straight, so the bolts weren't seating properly. Perhaps if I had a long extension for my power drill, but even then the holes were so far towards the rear, there was very little vertical room for anything other than a ratchet (and I don't have a Phillips attachment for that). I fought them for an hour and ended up stripping the heads quite a bit. After a quick trip to Ace for two hex-head bolts, I was able to use a ratchet and install it in under 15 minutes.
The vault hides under the console lid, invisible when the lid is down. They stock all different sizes for makes and models. There's room in there for at least three small guns. I was able to fit both my Colt Commander and Defender inside, with room for a small pocket pistol.

I have no affiliation or relationship with GunSafes.com other than being a happy customer, I just wanted to let everyone know of my good experience with this company.

Nice Sigmadog! I had thought about one of those, and may put it out there as bday or christmas idea.

Currently running a simple safe with a cable hoop I can easily transfer between my truck and
th SUV. Hides easily enough under / partially under the drivers seat.

Only need it for those few occasions where I won't carry in someplace-so quick access isn't a current requirement.

This thread does remind me to get off my duff & install the "big" safe in my camper. Currently it only has a fire/document safe, but I have nice bigger lock box type safe that will fit in the same footprint perfect & store a few AR pistols securely with magazines & documents...

Just finished installing my new console vault in my truck.

View attachment 343981

I ordered it from gunsafes.com. I highly recommend them if you are planning to order online, for these reasons:
  1. I had just finished placing my online order when the automated receipt arrived in my email box. No big deal as these things are automated. But before I had even finished reading the email, the phone rang. It was customer service rep calling to ask for a street address for delivery (I had given our PO Box). That was quick! I've never had a seller contact me that fast.
  2. I ordered on Thursday. The shipping was free. The package arrived via Fed Ex on Saturday afternoon. I wish Amazon was that fast (they used to be…)!
  3. Setting the combination was easy-peezy.
  4. Installation was easy with one hiccup: The 2 attaching bolts included had Phillips-head tops, but there wasn't enough room to hold a screwdriver straight, so the bolts weren't seating properly. Perhaps if I had a long extension for my power drill, but even then the holes were so far towards the rear, there was very little vertical room for anything other than a ratchet (and I don't have a Phillips attachment for that). I fought them for an hour and ended up stripping the heads quite a bit. After a quick trip to Ace for two hex-head bolts, I was able to use a ratchet and install it in under 15 minutes.
The vault hides under the console lid, invisible when the lid is down. They stock all different sizes for makes and models. There's room in there for at least three small guns. I was able to fit both my Colt Commander and Defender inside, with room for a small pocket pistol.

I have no affiliation or relationship with GunSafes.com other than being a happy customer, I just wanted to let everyone know of my good experience with this company.
Thanks for posting that. I like this a LOT and nice to hear when customer service is NOT a thing of the past.

Man these are spendy little buggers. It is worth the price for the added security but still makes you cringe.o_O

Think of what your own use for one would actually be. If you just carry all of the time, you don't need one. Bolting a holster in the console, for simple access and comfort is all you would need. Out of the truck? Gun back on you. Easy peasy.

For about $50, you can get a simple lock box with a cable hoop (or make a cable hoop--might actually be more secure--for any handgun box).

Not as "easy" nor secure as a console vault, but most smash thieves are just that. Smash and grab. They do not want to spend time with cutters or pry bars. If they do want to spend the time, then nothing really sans an armored vehicle would deter the theft.

Think of what your own use for one would actually be. If you just carry all of the time, you don't need one. Bolting a holster in the console, for simple access and comfort is all you would need. Out of the truck? Gun back on you. Easy peasy.

For about $50, you can get a simple lock box with a cable hoop (or make a cable hoop--might actually be more secure--for any handgun box).

Not as "easy" nor secure as a console vault, but most smash thieves are just that. Smash and grab. They do not want to spend time with cutters or pry bars. If they do want to spend the time, then nothing really sans an armored vehicle would deter the theft.

If that were the case I agree. I do have a vault in my truck with a cable lock. I usually carry one on my person and one in the truck for back up in case the SHTF scenario does happen. I would feel a lot safer knowing its in a locked down vault versus cutting a cable and it is gone.

If that were the case I agree. I do have a vault in my truck with a cable lock. I usually carry one on my person and one in the truck for back up in case the SHTF scenario does happen. I would feel a lot safer knowing its in a locked down vault versus cutting a cable and it is gone.

Ohh totally agree with you there, different scenario though.

...in that case a locking long gun bar hidden behind the back seat, or a vault bolted to the floor board etc. could be fashioned up to be inexpensive and very secure.

Your scenario will be the case for the safe I plan on putting in the camper. Reasonably hidden from curious eyes, better than reasonably secure, loaded up for worst case scenarios, and just "there" if needed. Bad guy would need to know it's there, have specific tools to get into it, and the time to do so in a nonsecure location.

I'd actually love one for under the back seat of my truck. One maybe big enough to put a AR Pistol or something into.

I have done this "kind of thing" a few ways depending on the vehicle. One of my more common ones is the spare tire. Many cars have a space for this hidden away. I long ago decided to do away with the spare and use the space for gun. I have AAA and do keep a couple cans of that fix it crap. Have never used the fixit myself but have gifted a few to someone who was stuck. It got them going. So I decided which would I think I may "need" more. The gun or the spare. Spare lost and sits in garage now. Only exception is when I am gong to be traveling so some remote place. Then I toss the spare back in on top. This works for a LOT of cars with a space for the emergency spare. How to secure the gun there is up to your imagination. Not to mention it's kept very well out of sight.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews