JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is anyone else that also owns this safe having issues with the digital lock face losing saved combination codes only after a few weeks or at most a month after installing a fresh battery? I even tried using a lithium battery to see if that would help, but again after a month the saved combo code is not working. Are most digital lock faces for gun safes this battery power hungry? To be clear, the Lock Face still seems to have power, but the saved code is no longer working.

Is anyone else that also owns this safe having issues with the digital lock face losing saved combination codes only after a few weeks or at most a month after installing a fresh battery? I even tried using a lithium battery to see if that would help, but again after a month the saved combo code is not working. Are most digital lock faces for gun safes this battery power hungry? To be clear, the Lock Face still seems to have power, but the saved code is no longer working.
Don't have that same safe but do have a cheap China made digital safe. I have had it for several years and only had to put a new battery in it one time. When I did replace the battery the code did not change. So maybe someone who owns the same model knows more but sure sounds like something is defective. How long ago did you buy it?

It's Costcos way of making you buy a Costco size pack of batteries so you can change them every night….

Sounds like a defective safe with something draining the battery.

Check out the interior hinge side of your safes door and see if it has a combo reset button installed at that location.
It might be activated when the door is closed and causing problems.

I bought a large Winchester safe from Costco about 15 years ago.
I replaced the digital with a Sargent & Greenleaf dial lock I bought on amazon. (About $100)
I no longer worry about EMP's, dead batteries, or faulty electronics.

Don't you find it strange that Costco mandates you cannot carry on their property, but sells gun safes?

It's Costcos way of making you buy a Costco size pack of batteries so you can change them every night….

Sounds like a defective safe with something draining the battery.
I had a digital safe lock that was shorting out, after awhile it would drain a 9vt battery in a couple of weeks, when I took it apart, one of the wires was bare and was hitting the metal on the door

I replaced the digital with a Sargent & Greenleaf dial lock I bought on amazon. (About $100)

Don't you find it strange that Costco mandates you cannot carry on their property, but sells gun safes?
What's weird about a blue store not wanting your guns around and in fact wanting them to be locked up in the safe they sell ya?

What's weird about a blue store not wanting your guns around and in fact wanting them to be locked up in the safe they sell ya?
1692091442468.jpeg

I wasn't aware you could buy replacement/aftermarket digital locks for a gun safe. How did you figure out what was compatible with your safe?

I've had that same safe for about 8 months now. Just changed the battery last week and the combo has stayed true since day one. Sounds like yours may be defective.
Is saproducts.com the manufacturer? I couldn't find the same model of safe on their site. A little odd that they don't list this specific safe when it's being sold at Costco.

I wasn't aware you could buy replacement/aftermarket digital locks for a gun safe. How did you figure out what was compatible with your safe?
Most safes use a standard business model. You can buy replacement digital or combo locks or change between the two. I watched a few You Tube videos then changed to a dial lock myself. Simply remove the rear panel inside the door. It's pretty easy to do.

Is saproducts.com the manufacturer? I couldn't find the same model of safe on their site. A little odd that they don't list this specific safe when it's being sold at Costco.
The model doesn't really matter in most cases. The locks are pretty much interchangeable across most all models.
Here is a picture of the Sargent & Greenleaf I installed myself. This safe was purchased at Cosco and originally had a digital keypad.
Sargent & Greenleaf have You Tube videos about how to do it, they are practically the only ones who make combo locks for safes.

1692132517600.png

This will do the job.

Last Edited:
I don't think the brand matters much. I suspect these digital lock/keyboards all come from similar Chinese factories of similar Chinese quality.

I have a digital-combination rifle safe. I am now awaiting my 3rd keypad. I wont even mention the name, as prejudices will clutter my point.

It's interesting, when I request service or parts on this safe, my replies come from Master Lock. They must own the safe company also.

So, yep, when the combination lock does not work, as mine isn't working now, I can open it with a key. Sure slows things down if I needed into the safe quickly.

And as we speak, I am shopping for a safe with a real dial combination lock. That's apparently old school technology, and they are scarce.

I don't think the brand matters much. I suspect these digital lock/keyboards all come from similar Chinese factories of similar Chinese quality.

I have a digital-combination rifle safe. I am now awaiting my 3rd keypad. I wont even mention the name, as prejudices will clutter my point.

It's interesting, when I request service or parts on this safe, my replies come from Master Lock. They must own the safe company also.

So, yep, when the combination lock does not work, as mine isn't working now, I can open it with a key. Sure slows things down if I needed into the safe quickly.

And as we speak, I am shopping for a safe with a real dial combination lock. That's apparently old school technology, and they are scarce.
This will do the job.

I even tried using a lithium battery to see if that would help, but again after a month the saved combo code is not working.
FYI, every safe company I have talked with says DO NOT use lithium batteries in the safe locks. They say, for some reason, it damages them. I know not why. And my other public service announcement, Duracell should change their name to Blowacell. I have yet another item sitting on my workbench that I'm going to have to scrape exploded Duracell guts off of. Dozens and dozens now, most within expiration and not being used under extreme conditions (this one is a wall clock). Bunny batteries rule.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top