JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Generally, an electronic keypad is not located near the bolt retraction coil assembly. It could be a fair distance away because it's connected with wires.
A combination dial is located next to to the locking bolt slot and a re-locker devise if there is one.
Quality dial locks usually have one built into the lock case.
Here's a guy modifying his cheap safe for a dial.

Lol, you guys probably won't like me after I tell you I've thrown away probably 100+ S&G dial locks. Perfectly good with no issues.
Pulled them off ATMs, replacing them with KabaMas Cencons. Straight into the trash.
Maybe I should save them and sell them off from here on out.

Check out the interior hinge side of your safes door and see if it has a combo reset button installed at that location.
It might be activated when the door is closed and causing problems.
i second this and was going to reply. i had this happen 2 weeks ago my reset cap came off so when door shut it reset code

Lol, you guys probably won't like me after I tell you I've thrown away probably 100+ S&G dial locks. Perfectly good with no issues.
Pulled them off ATMs, replacing them with KabaMas Cencons. Straight into the trash.
If S&G is good enough for an ATM full of cash, I would imagine it's OK for my gun safe.

Sounds to me like you have been tossing cash in the trash then. Will not matter any to me but it must be nice to have that kind of money :s0092:
Looks like the S&G lock that is on my old safe sells for just under $100 from the manufacturer through Amazon. So I would have to guess you could sell the used ones you have been tossing for at least a 1/3 of that easy enough on places like Ebay. Again its your money not mine.
I was kind of interested in the conversion till I watched the video of how to do it. More work than I want to try on my cheap safe with the digital lock. I bought the safe with the digital lock several years ago and it came with a key to open it if the lock ever failed. Did kind of make me wonder how hard it would be to get a hold of one of those keys? Then I thought hell no dope head smash and grab scum it likely to have one so I did not give that another worry. Don't know if the bypass key is some kind of "newer" thing with these or not??
Now if the old safe with the S&G lock ever had that lock fail? I would at this point I am sure just cut it open myself and buy a new one. That one I have since the mid 90's so if it failed I would figure I got my money's worth out of it and doubt I would try to pay a pro to come try and fix it. Guess if it happens I will call the one place that sells these and ask but suspect it would be more than it would be worth to mess with.

The only problem with using a used dial lock set, is that you must cut off the dials shaft to fit the depth of the safe door.
Not a problem if it's extra long, but if it isn't, then you would have to acquire a replacement dial with an uncut shaft.

i second this and was going to reply. i had this happen 2 weeks ago my reset cap came off so when door shut it reset code
This got me wondering about mine. Been so long since I bought it I can't remember any more how it set up. They still sell them but the web does not seem to want to give instructions on how to reset the combo on mine. Found video for other makers but not mine. Guess I really should drop them a note and ask them to send me another instruction sheet if I can't find the one that came with it.

The only problem with using a used dial lock set, is that you must cut off the dials shaft to fit the depth of the safe door.
Not a problem if it's extra long, but if it isn't, then you would have to acquire a replacement dial with an uncut shaft.
Good to know. Just took a quick look at fleabay and there does seem to be a LOT of used ones for sale. Have to wonder how many buy one then find out they can't make it work on their safe? Hell if I was doing a job where I was taking them off and the place I worked for did not want them? I would be tossing them up for sale.

I don't think the brand matters much. I suspect these digital lock/keyboards all come from similar Chinese factories of similar Chinese quality.

I have a digital-combination rifle safe. I am now awaiting my 3rd keypad. I wont even mention the name, as prejudices will clutter my point.

It's interesting, when I request service or parts on this safe, my replies come from Master Lock. They must own the safe company also.

So, yep, when the combination lock does not work, as mine isn't working now, I can open it with a key. Sure slows things down if I needed into the safe quickly.

And as we speak, I am shopping for a safe with a real dial combination lock. That's apparently old school technology, and they are scarce.
Tracker Safes in Vancouver give you the option of dial or electronic on every model they sell.

FYI, every safe company I have talked with says DO NOT use lithium batteries in the safe locks. They say, for some reason, it damages them. I know not why. And my other public service announcement, Duracell should change their name to Blowacell. I have yet another item sitting on my workbench that I'm going to have to scrape exploded Duracell guts off of. Dozens and dozens now, most within expiration and not being used under extreme conditions (this one is a wall clock). Bunny batteries rule.
Call Duracell.
In my experience, they will compensate you for the damaged item
👍👍

Call Duracell.
In my experience, they will compensate you for the damaged item
👍👍
Good to know, but personally, they are dead to me. I would never trust their batteries with anything that my life may depend upon (flashlights, dot optics, smoke/CO detectors, Comms, etc.) Anything I buy that has them is immediately swapped out. Between my equipment, kid's toys, and maintaining some low-drain items for a company, I have literally seen dozens of exploded/leaked batteries from them now. I honestly have no idea how they are still in business. Most recently, we had two identical clocks in a place I help maintain. The much newer Duracell is leaking. YMMV

Good to know, but personally, they are dead to me. I would never trust their batteries with anything that my life may depend upon (flashlights, dot optics, smoke/CO detectors, Comms, etc.) Anything I buy that has them is immediately swapped out. Between my equipment, kid's toys, and maintaining some low-drain items for a company, I have literally seen dozens of exploded/leaked batteries from them now. I honestly have no idea how they are still in business. Most recently, we had two identical clocks in a place I help maintain. The much newer Duracell is leaking. YMMV
Every safe manufacturer I know of recommends Duracell

For what it's worth, I have been chatting with the manufacturer that Costco uses for most of their import safes(just bought one) they used to offer the ability to order them with either type of lock. Some kind of California law made it not possible anymore.
They gave me detailed instructions on what lock to get, also said that it must be installed by a locksmith otherwise there is no warranty on the lock itself. I'm ordering the above mentioned lock with day lock and the combo reset key on Amazon. Everything is about 200 in total, but you will have the ability to modify the combo as needed.
I found a video on YouTube detailing the conversion, you will need to drill one hole for the day lock backplate.

The manufacturer is quick to reply and seem friendly enough.

I found that getting the dial shaft perfectly centered and lined up through the safe door wheel post is key to a smooth functioning dial.
When you select the proper positioning slot (top, bottom, right or left) for the drive cam key, it would be nice to have some thin shim washers, so you could tighten down the drive cam locking nut and not have to back it off a quarter turn, which sometimes makes the dial spin to fast.
Locksmiths have a special tool to align the shaft while drilling mounting holes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top