JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I found that getting the dial shaft perfectly centered and lined up through the safe door wheel post is key to a smooth functioning dial.
When you select the proper positioning slot (top, bottom, right or left) for the drive cam key, it would be nice to have some thin shim washers, so you could tighten down the drive cam locking nut and not have to back it off a quarter turn, which sometimes makes the dial spin to fast.
Locksmiths have a special tool to align the shaft while drilling mounting holes.
Known as the DRAT or Dial Ring Alignment Tool,

This exact thing happened to me with my safe late October. I purchased this one December of 2022. I know the little brass cover is on the reset button. Long story short I am going to stop shopping for a replacement safe and instead shop for a replacement lock.

I have been shopping for a new safe since last week assuming I was just duped into buying a cheep POS. I have been dreading paying for a mover to get the Costco safe out of my basement and into my truck and paying upwards of $500 delivery fee for a $1700 safe to replace this one... But I have learned is this Sanctuary safe is indeed made by the same company as Remington and Sports Afield. The local safe dealer wanted to bash anything that was not the brands he sold. But the reality is This Costco cheapo meets or exceeds the ratings of the $1700 safe he wanted to sell me.

This exact thing happened to me with my safe late October. I purchased this one December of 2022. I know the little brass cover is on the reset button. Long story short I am going to stop shopping for a replacement safe and instead shop for a replacement lock.

I have been shopping for a new safe since last week assuming I was just duped into buying a cheep POS. I have been dreading paying for a mover to get the Costco safe out of my basement and into my truck and paying upwards of $500 delivery fee for a $1700 safe to replace this one... But I have learned is this Sanctuary safe is indeed made by the same company as Remington and Sports Afield. The local safe dealer wanted to bash anything that was not the brands he sold. But the reality is This Costco cheapo meets or exceeds the ratings of the $1700 safe he wanted to sell me.
What if any locks have you been considering and do you have the same safe as I do? The "Sanctuary" safe from Costco?

Yes that is the safe. I am probably going to buy this kit https://a.co/d/3T01UQp but this will not be a bolt in install. These cheap safes use a cheap solenoid style lock that unfortunately does not use the same bolt pattern as true UL listed locks. I am going to have buy the S&G dial kit, measure where to drill the door for the shaft hole so the bezel covers all the pre-existing holes then fabricate some brackets inside to get the mechanism to reach the new lock. It is going to take designing, cutting, folding, and welding metal parts to make it work.

Yes that is the safe. I am probably going to buy this kit https://a.co/d/3T01UQp but this will not be a bolt in install. These cheap safes use a cheap solenoid style lock that unfortunately does not use the same bolt pattern as true UL listed locks. I am going to have buy the S&G dial kit, measure where to drill the door for the shaft hole so the bezel covers all the pre-existing holes then fabricate some brackets inside to get the mechanism to reach the new lock. It is going to take designing, cutting, folding, and welding metal parts to make it work.
Just fyi, I bought the same kit for $99 from a different seller. Just search the part #, the pictures don't show everything but it's a kit. Also, there's a diy step by step on YouTube. All you need is a drill and tap for the new additional screw. No other parts needed. I purchased the kit but haven't gotten to the install yet.

I bought a large Winchester safe from Costco about 15 years ago.
I replaced the digital with a Sargent & Greenleaf dial lock I bought on amazon. (About $100)
I no longer worry about EMP's, dead batteries, or faulty electronics.

Don't you find it strange that Costco mandates you cannot carry on their property, but sells gun safes?
I've never heard of a kit like this, I looked it up on Amazon, how difficult was it to swap out the lock? I'm really interested in doing it to a few of mine.

Just fyi, I bought the same kit for $99 from a different seller. Just search the part #, the pictures don't show everything but it's a kit. Also, there's a diy step by step on YouTube. All you need is a drill and tap for the new additional screw. No other parts needed. I purchased the kit but haven't gotten to the install yet.
Yeah, I have seen the same PN listed for different prices. I planned to do more research to get the best deal before purchasing.

Have you taken the panel off the inside of the door yet? The inside of my safe looks nothing like the video I found on YouTube? Mine is going to require some fabrication.

I've never heard of a kit like this, I looked it up on Amazon, how difficult was it to swap out the lock? I'm really interested in doing it to a few of mine.
I have done the conversion on three of my safes now.
Videos on YouTube.
My safes are about five to twenty years old.
If it has an electronic keypad, this conversion will most likely fit.
It's not just plug & play - you need to spend 3 or four hours studying and installing.
And just like the art of reloading, it's not for everyone. You need to be engineering inclined.

Yeah, I have seen the same PN listed for different prices. I planned to do more research to get the best deal before purchasing.

Have you taken the panel off the inside of the door yet? The inside of my safe looks nothing like the video I found on YouTube? Mine is going to require some fabrication.
Got safe-lock mounting plate?

Would love to see a video of the UL lock upgrade process for this model Costco safe. I like mine - it is a cheap, attractive small form factor riffle safe, but the electronic lock lost its code memory last week and would like to replace the battery operated lock with a mechanical dial. Couldn't find any videos online to give an idea what's involved, behind the door panel, or the finished result

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top