JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have done this "kind of thing" a few ways depending on the vehicle. One of my more common ones is the spare tire. Many cars have a space for this hidden away. I long ago decided to do away with the spare and use the space for gun. I have AAA and do keep a couple cans of that fix it crap. Have never used the fixit myself but have gifted a few to someone who was stuck. It got them going. So I decided which would I think I may "need" more. The gun or the spare. Spare lost and sits in garage now. Only exception is when I am gong to be traveling so some remote place. Then I toss the spare back in on top. This works for a LOT of cars with a space for the emergency spare. How to secure the gun there is up to your imagination. Not to mention it's kept very well out of sight.

My crew cab dodge actually has a spot under the back seat. they make safes for them but just not my truck!o_O

My crew cab dodge actually has a spot under the back seat. they make safes for them but just not my truck!o_O

For that just measure how much room and then start looking at what will fit. Does not need to be much. As mentioned most break ins are smash and grab stuff. If they even look under the seat and find something with a lock chances are real good it's going to still be there. For a handgun the lock boxes can be bolted down. I have several of these from the days when we had little kids. Would take some time and tools to pry it out. I have done this a couple times. Have one that has been in a couple vehicles over the years. In one car it was bolted to the floor in the back sear. It was covered with small rug. I RARELY had anyone in the back seat. If someone had to ride back there they just had their feet on top of it. Looking in the windows you could not see it was there. That car did get broken into at work one time. It looked like they did not even lift that back rug. They most likely never knew the box was there in the rush to grab stuff and run. Look at the space you have, then start looking at gun boxes. See what will fit in the space.

Of course, the console vault is useful for other things, too. I'm always nervous leaving stuff loose in the truck when we go hiking, and we've got assorted keys to our rental properties that need to stay secure, plus other important items/paperwork.

@sigmadog, well done! I was just thinking the other day that I wanted to put one in my console or under the front seat.
I've noted there is a gap in the back of my Equinox between the boards and back seat where a metal box can be installed and a long gun placed there.

Nobody seems to carry anything for a BMW console.:(
You elitist capitalist, you. :p

I have done this "kind of thing" a few ways depending on the vehicle. One of my more common ones is the spare tire. Many cars have a space for this hidden away. I long ago decided to do away with the spare and use the space for gun. I have AAA and do keep a couple cans of that fix it crap. Have never used the fixit myself but have gifted a few to someone who was stuck. It got them going. So I decided which would I think I may "need" more. The gun or the spare. Spare lost and sits in garage now. Only exception is when I am gong to be traveling so some remote place. Then I toss the spare back in on top. This works for a LOT of cars with a space for the emergency spare. How to secure the gun there is up to your imagination. Not to mention it's kept very well out of sight.
Fix-a-flat. Amazing stuff (gunks up the inside of the tire though). Have a can handy when you don't have time to wait for AAA.

Nice Sigmadog! I had thought about one of those, and may put it out there as bday or christmas idea.

Currently running a simple safe with a cable hoop I can easily transfer between my truck and
th SUV. Hides easily enough under / partially under the drivers seat.

Only need it for those few occasions where I won't carry in someplace-so quick access isn't a current requirement.

This thread does remind me to get off my duff & install the "big" safe in my camper. Currently it only has a fire/document safe, but I have nice bigger lock box type safe that will fit in the same footprint perfect & store a few AR pistols securely with magazines & documents...
You, sir, have a nice truck. I could see you installing a steel tank on the back for compressed air, and a water-tight lock tube somewhere on it for storing multiple long guns (i.e. 6" pipe x 48" long). A co-worker in Michigan used to do that with his trucks: remove the front bumper, get a 4 x 6 x 3/16 tube, weld on ends and fittings, chrome plate the whole thing and install it in place of his front bumper. He'd always keep it filled it with 180PSI air.

...You, sir, have a nice truck...

Hey thanks!

...I could see you installing a steel tank on the back for compressed air, and a water-tight lock tube somewhere on it for storing multiple long guns (i.e. 6" pipe x 48" long). A co-worker in Michigan used to do that with his trucks: remove the front bumper, get a 4 x 6 x 3/16 tube, weld on ends and fittings, chrome plate the whole thing and install it in place of his front bumper. He'd always keep it filled it with 180PSI air.

That tube idea is a good one! Maybe on the next truck, not messing with the bumpers on this one as they don't make them anymore.

Not much use for an onboard air tank currently anyways, I can wait on the compressors to do there thing the few times I do air-down.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top