JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting, it appears he had no awareness of the police straight ahead of him down the sidewalk and when he turned to follow the crowd, all their shots likely slipped right along side his body armor.

My thoughts as well, good thing they stopped him when they did, that was a crowded bar he was heading into.

Banning of pistol braces might be the least of our problems:

"MacCallum asked Conway if the president was open to having a discussion on a possible assault-weapons ban. Conway said he was listening."

"Show me a law that will prevent the next Sandy Hook and sign me up as a husband and father," Gowdy said, "...and I'll give up any other right I have."

Last Edited:
Banning of pistol braces might be the least of our problems:

"MacCallum asked Conway if the president was open to having a discussion on a possible assault-weapons ban. Conway said he was listening."

"Show me a law that will prevent the next Sandy Hook and sign me up as a husband and father," Gowdy said, "...and I'll give up any other right I have."
IF there was a law that could prevent this.... yeah, IF.
If ALL guns were banned and made as unavailable as heroin or cocaine, I predict the next weapon of psychopaths will be gasoline with an even more horrific death toll.

As long as we continue to address the tool used instead of the human actor, we'll get more of tha same.

If you ask the wrong question, you get the wrong answer.

Dear Mr. Gowdy
Laws really only affect those who wish to abide by them.
Criminals by their very nature do not abide by laws....therefore it stands to reason that no law will truly prevent crime.
Andy

This is the sort of thing I was talking about in my earlier post. If you wonder, perhaps even subconsciously, that maybe gun control of some kind just might ultimately be the only way to stop this kind of thing, then if you have any compassion at all you'll be doing some soul-searching after a slaughter like this.

Are we really selfish monsters who cling to our hobbies and irrational fears, at the cost of so many innocent lives? I don't know about you all, but I couldn't live with that.

There's so much more to it than that, though. The thought that passing a law and banning some guns will fix the problem is simplistic and delusional, wishful thinking.

The emotional argument is powerful. If it would stop the slaughter I'd give up my hobby, and it would be incredibly tempting to surrender some rights as well. After a triple whammy like this everyone's emotional, including me.

There's no emotional argument that we can make in response, but we do have logic, reason, science, and statistics on our side. We all get emotional during times like this, but when that passes it's time to look at some reason and logic and decide if more gun control is really warranted. Doing something for the sake of doing something just because we're all worked up emotionally is a very bad idea.

ADDED: I have to clarify this post, because I can see how it would be easy to misunderstand. I'm not wavering in my support for the 2nd Amendment at all. A little soul searching is not a bad thing, but I haven't changed my views.

Last Edited:
Oh if only we could put the Genie back in the bottle and return to the idyllic days before there were guns when unicorns and fairies frolicked in green pastures and most of humanity lived in abject poverty and feudal oppression. When the biggest and strongest had rule over any that were physically smaller. Those wonderful peaceful times without guns when the cheerful happy armies of Tamerlane could butcher 5% of the population of the entire world. Those blissful centuries before guns when whatever passed for "government" held unhindered sway over all mankind. You know, the very sort of "government" the left has been trying to reinstate ever since.

Then evil men discovered they could harness chemical energy. Over the course of several centuries those evil men developed manufacturing techniques and improved their means of harnessing that chemical energy culminating in the individually held firearm. Then, in some unfortunate land, a group of those evil men came together and developed the delusion that they could better rule themselves. Their locally manufactured individually held firearms gave them the means to do so. The poor lowly peasant farmers were now the martial equal to the Kings soldiers. They could now wrest the rule of their own lives away from their "betters". They then went about creating the freest most prosperous nation in the history of the world.

As an unfortunate byproduct of improved manufacturing, they also improved agriculture to the point that most of their citizens had enough to eat, thereby bringing on the population growth that "endangers the planet"

While being the best time in human history, alas, all was not perfect. There were still people. With all their imperfections. Sometime a few of those people would try to be their own personal small scale version of Tamerlane (or Stalin or Pol Pot, pick your favorite villain) using the same tools by which those tyrants had been dethroned.

Meanwhile, the general population, having been softened by the comfort provided by their forebears had largely neglected the use of those tools. Instead of recognizing those tools as a means to keep the few dangerously flawed humans in check, they began to see them as the problem itself rather than the flawed humans that misused them.

Meanwhile, those who still like to think of themselves as "betters" continue to chafe under the affront that the masses should deign to determine their own lives.

They see an opportunity to return to their "rightful" position of power by disarming those masses under the false pretense of stopping those few flawed humans. A classic example of the unachievable "perfect" being the enemy of the existing "good enough".

Sadly, unicorns don't exist. neither does societal perfection. We may have already, in living memory, gotten as close as is humanly possible. Not saying we shouldn't try for further improvement, just urging caution that we don't forget the hard lessons of the past and make "improvements" that aren't.

The emotional argument is powerful. If it would stop the slaughter I'd give up my hobby, and it would be incredibly tempting to surrender some rights as well. After a triple whammy like this everyone's emotional, including me.
But evidence to the contrary, that if we give up our guns there would actually be MORE slaughter. They've made the case that every shooter buys his gun through legal avenues but they have yet to address actually REMOVING guns from society. It is by every calculation, impossible. Therefore, even if you removed every legal avenue to purchase ANY type of gun there will always be illegal ways. Granted, guns might get more expensive and more dangerous to buy ie. in a back alley out of someone's trunk at 3 in the morning.

There's a reason why these happen in rapid succession, but it isn't some kind of conspiracy:

This times 1000. Like it or not, the 24 hour news cycle and incessant reporting on every angle of each and every one of these shootings is what inspires the next guy.

What sickens me is the cognitive dissonance of the media: on the one hand they hammer away at lawful gun owners, saying the damage a few criminals does outweighs the rights of millions, advocating infringing those rights in the hope that it may help reduce mass shootings. But if you were to suggest that their reporting helps cause mass shootings (even with proof), its all "free speech" and "my rights, damn the consequences."

I don't support censorship, but the utter lack of rationality that allows someone to take that position makes me want to cave their face in.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top