JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
ERIC S. RAYMOND: Why I Joined The NRA.

After 20 years of evading joining the NRA, I finally did it last week.

I've never been a huge fan of the NRA because, despite the fearsome extremist image the mainstream media tries to hang on it, the NRA is actually rather squishy about gun rights. A major symptom of this is its lack of interest in pursuing Second Amendment court cases. Alan Gura, the civil-rights warrior who fought Heller vs. DC and several other key cases to a successful conclusion, was funded not by the NRA but by the Second Amendment Foundation. Also, in the past, the NRA has been too willing to acquiesce to unconstitutional legislation like the 1986 ban on sales of new automatic weapons to civilians.

So, you might well ask: why am I joining an organization I'm dubious about now, when the gun-rights cause seems to be winning? Popular support for Second Amendment rights is at record highs in the polls, a record seven states now have constitutional carry (no permit requirement), Texas just became the 45th state to legalize open carry last week…why am I joining an organization I've characterized as squishy?

I joined because the state-worshiping thugs on the other side are doubling down, and they still own most of the media and the machinery of the Federal government. After decades of pretending that they only wanted soi-disant "common-sense" legislation aimed at specific problems around the edges of gun policy, the Democratic Party is now openly talking of outright gun confiscation. The usual suspects in the national press are obediently amplifying their propaganda.

Some things you do for substantive effect – giving money to the SAF so Alan Gura can win another case is like that. Some things you do less for effect than as as a signal of pushback intended to create political momentum and demoralize the other side; joining the NRA is like that. "

I only joined the NRA because I was forced to in order to become a member at Tri-County.

I donate to the Second Amendment Foundation.
and OFF.

OK I get what SAF does and the NRA with their money as explained.
I notice you put OFF in the same category anyone have an idea what their plan is since sessions start very soon ? I see them telling everyone else what they need to do, i am wondering what their plan is ? They have been earily silent most of the years since SB941 passed I for one need to see true actions.
I am a member of the NRA was of OFF until this last year as I see the NRA with something being done by funds donated. Just curious why I would donate to our local since they have not released any plans of what they are doing to get things done. Just to state not knocking OFF, I am asking what are they doing and I hope not the same as last year as we accomplished very little. Yes aware hes one guy as many say and yea aware hes out numbered in sessions so again one would ask OK so why donate to them if all is lost for them to do anything? If not help me get behind them show me a light if I can get a clear plan of what they will do I will donate 200.00 .

Nah, I don't buy it.

I used to be an NRA member and finally gave up on them. Calling them "squishy" is being charitable. They've tried to torpedo almost every constitutional carry bill out there. They seem to have fallen into the Iron Law of Bureaucracy:

"...in any bureaucratic organization there will be two kinds of people: those who work to further the actual goals of the organization, and those who work for the organization itself. Examples in education would be teachers who work and sacrifice to teach children, vs. union representatives who work to protect any teacher including the most incompetent. The Iron Law states that in all cases, the second type of person will always gain control of the organization, and will always write the rules under which the organization functions." - Jerry Pournelle

I prefer GOA (I think NRA does some good on the non-political side though).

Don't know why NRA membership has become so unpopular, but 5million members with over 100million gun owners is shameful!

Own a gun? Love your right to own it? JOIN THE NRA!

...and SAF, and OFF, and any other group.

But the NRA is the most important group because it gives them membership #s.

I just signed up since it was a requirement for a range I joined. I had been a member but got tired of all solicitations I received.

After signing up did I see a welcome packet or a member ship card? Nope, two "donate now" emails followed up by a magazine for their store. I sure hope they are doing some good with all that money. For what they spend sending me junk mail it probably uses every penny of my membership dues.

I haven't seen them standing up much lately. I'm not even sure what paying them a membership fee gets you now days besides a pat on the back and ushered to move along so they can do the same for the next guy yelling, "I GOT GUNZZZ, YAAA". <-- satire

I'll put that money to better use, I call it AMMO!

For me OFF has been way to silent the last year. Today donated to SAF, I do know they have fought allot and done some hard core stuff. So for me its NRA and SAF only.
Still waiting for OFF to answer an email from me a month or so ago after their last notice about what everyone else was doing or should.

$30 a year? That's 2 or 3 boxes of 9mm. Come on... Give me a break:mad:

For the small amount it costs to be a member, I really don't understand why people complain so much about them. It is inarguable that the NRA is the #1 biggest thorn in the side of the anti-gunners in Washington D.C. and in other parts of the country. For that alone, they deserve the support of every single gun owner in the country.

The whining and moaning about emails and mailings? Good grief, man up and toss it out if you don't want it. And, BTW, you can stop about 90% of those mailings - I hardly get any from them. But many people are actually still willing to give up supporting the single most powerful gun rights organization in this country over mail?? I guess your rights really don't mean that much to you.

And what are they doing? For one thing, they are responsible for blocking almost every attempt made by the Obama administration to take our rights away. How about the attempted M855 ban? Who stopped that? The NRA. Honestly, I don't get the issues people have with them. Show me any other pro-gun organization that does even half of what the NRA does on behalf of our rights. And, show me any other pro-gun organization that causes the extreme amount of displeasure to the anti-gun groups. They are worth the investment.

At one time I had 3 memberships W/the NRA, then they sold-out Class III for Concealed Carrry
I send money to SAF and there is no paper trail to follow, join the NRA and you have just registered yourself w/Obama

I joined the NRA once, donated to one of their political funds and then about every week I received mail solicitations for more donations from them. Needless to say my membership lapsed and I am not going join them again.

At one time I had 3 memberships W/the NRA, then they sold-out Class III for Concealed Carrry
I send money to SAF and there is no paper trail to follow, join the NRA and you have just registered yourself w/Obama

I aint skared a no Bamma:p

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top