JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I must apologize about my previous ignorance. I was caught up in misinformation from a once trusted source. I have done my due diligence with research and this recent video of Wayne LaPierre challening the president put the icing on the cake. I was already going to sign up, but that made the deal even sweater. I now understand the role that the NRA actually plays and anyone who wants to keep their rights, should have a strong representative, and the NRA is just that.

I must apologize about my previous ignorance. I was caught up in misinformation from a once trusted source. I have done my due diligence with research and this recent video of Wayne LaPierre challening the president put the icing on the cake. I was already going to sign up, but that made the deal even sweater. I now understand the role that the NRA actually plays and anyone who wants to keep their rights, should have a strong representative, and the NRA is just that.

AMEN to that. I have been a member since the 50's and a Life member since the 60's The work they do in so many areas is phenomenal.

I must apologize about my previous ignorance. I was caught up in misinformation from a once trusted source.

Interesting choice of words. A "once trusted source."
I served three terms on the NRA BOD. Didn't always agree with everybody else, didn't always disagree. But we were ultimately all on the same side.

Over the years I've heard some interesting tales about things allegedly said and done, usually from people who "heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from his sister's boyfriend's cousin..." and swears it's absolutely true. That ramped up with the explosion of social media. After all, everything you read on the Internet is gospel. Abe Lincoln said so.

;)

Interesting choice of words. A "once trusted source."
I served three terms on the NRA BOD. Didn't always agree with everybody else, didn't always disagree. But we were ultimately all on the same side.

Over the years I've heard some interesting tales about things allegedly said and done, usually from people who "heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from his sister's boyfriend's cousin..." and swears it's absolutely true. That ramped up with the explosion of social media. After all, everything you read on the Internet is gospel. Abe Lincoln said so.

;)
Oh, the original info I got was not from the internet, but a personal friend. The internet is absolutely not a great source. I did my research on the NRA and fact checked the info I had received and found that the individual that pandered the incorrect info was just not happy with the NRA and was spreading misinformation because of their own grievances. It was my mistake to take what they had said as honest truth, a good friendship may have clouded my own judgment. Either way, I am better informed which is the point.

got my lifetime membership in the 80's, i don't bother with the NRA anymore, but i do regularly contribute to the NRA-ILA fund when i get angry with the news and what's going on.

they may not be the best all around but they are the ones who get more done than anyone else, i have to support them because not supporting them is turning my back on the biggest dog that wants to fight for me, even if i get nipped on occasion, it's still better than being defenseless against bloomberg and his groups.

i think alot of people don't know the structure of the NRA and how you contribute to the NRA makes in a big difference in what you see at the end of the day.

if you want to see more happening in DC and on your local level you need to donate to the NRA-ILA and not the NRA directly.

this is a break down of the arms of the NRA and what your money does when it's donated to a particular branch.
The NRA is divided into several organizations that have different tax status and functions.

Your NRA membership dues goes to the main organization and it not used for political purposes and it not tax deductible.

NRA ILA http://www.nraila.org/ is the lobbying branch of the NRA and this is funding used for NRA people in DC and the state capitals who interact with various legislative bodies.

The NRA PVF http://www.nrapvf.org/ is the fund used for making contributions to political candidates and for political advertising.

The NRA Foundation http://www.nrafoundation.org/ is tax deductible and it does things like safety and marksmanship training and range programs. This is a Section 501(c)(3) organization making donations tax deductible.

The NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund http://www.nradefensefund.org/ is the branch that helps with things like law suites and other gun rights court cases. This one is also tax deductible as a Section 501(c)(3) org.

Let's get something into perspective folks. I recall many years ago getting American Rifleman and it was packed full of a lot of awesome information about ANYTHING and everything shooting. Very little, if any, political writing. Since the left has been on full court press for MANY years, the NRA has pretty much evolved into a political machine, fighting for our Second Amendment rights on many fronts. Ever wonder why the left absolutely hates the NRA?? They have been pretty effective. Do I wish they had more stuff like you find in Handloader or Rifle magazine? You bet I do. Fact is, the left bears a lot of responsibility for what the NRA has become. A lot of folks have opinions about how ineffective the NRA is, but when the entire anti-gun side keeps howling about the NRA, I'll use that barometer for how well they function. Any organization is only as good as how well it is funded, & how many members want to roll up their sleeves and do their fair share at the grass roots level. Sure, you can write a check and mail it in, or not. You can contact your elected representatives, or not. You can just pay your dues and do nothing else. You can even opt to not be a member. Guess what? The likes of Michael Bloomberg, Bill Gates and Paul Allen are writing handsome checks to anti-gun organizations to screw us. No Daddy Warbucks is funding the NRA like that. It's us against them.

I have been a member of the NRA off and on over the years. Just recently I became a lifetime member. One more member is one more voter they represent. There is strength in numbers. I wish there were more just for that simple reason.

Also I want to be able to tell my friends that do not like guns that I am a lifetime member, I think our voices matter.

In our area there were some improvements to the local gun range from a NRA grant. So I have seen a practical side to the NRA as well as just political. But in today's environment if we do not have a strong political voice we will be silenced.

This is how the NRA represents?

"The National Rifle Association sees no reason to participate in a public relations spectacle organized by the White House"
NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam

This is for the town hall featuring Obama.

The more appropriate response should have been. "Yes, we would be delighted to participate as long as we can open carry, exercising our 2nd Amendment rights."

Brutus Out

I just signed up since it was a requirement for a range I joined. I had been a member but got tired of all solicitations I received.

After signing up did I see a welcome packet or a member ship card? Nope, two "donate now" emails followed up by a magazine for their store. I sure hope they are doing some good with all that money. For what they spend sending me junk mail it probably uses every penny of my membership dues.

When I became a life member in 13 I told them to keep my choice of magazine and stop wasting money on junk mail and use it to fight evil.

I read about half of this thread of messages and got tired of the whining about the NRA.
Anti-gun people know the power they wield. There was a time back in like the 1980's that politicians were afraid to talk bad about them. They started a grass roots get-the-word out message and phone calling the local politicians campaign and to this day wielded a lot of power. The NRA has unseated many of politicians. That is why there is such visceral hate of the NRA. For this reason I will continue to fund and support them.

OK I get what SAF does and the NRA with their money as explained.
I notice you put OFF in the same category anyone have an idea what their plan is since sessions start very soon ? I see them telling everyone else what they need to do, i am wondering what their plan is ? They have been earily silent most of the years since SB941 passed I for one need to see true actions.I am a member of the NRA was of OFF until this last year as I see the NRA with something being done by funds donated. Just curious why I would donate to our local since they have not released any plans of what they are doing to get things done. Just to state not knocking OFF, I am asking what are they doing and I hope not the same as last year as we accomplished very little. Yes aware hes one guy as many say and yea aware hes out numbered in sessions so again one would ask OK so why donate to them if all is lost for them to do anything? If not help me get behind them show me a light if I can get a clear plan of what they will do I will donate 200.00 .

Its has been a month since I offered to donate 200.00 to Oregon Firearms Federation if they would list a clear plan to oppose the Salem Legislation, I also twice this month wrote them and asked for a plan, and no response. I am therefore cutting a check not for OFF but for the NRA Monday as its clear so far there is no plan by OFF and sessions are starting is days. This is going to get ugly folks if there is no leadership in Oregon ???
We need power hitters and the NRA is the only game in town it seems.

Its has been a month since I offered to donate 200.00 to Oregon Firearms Federation if they would list a clear plan to oppose the Salem Legislation, I also twice this month wrote them and asked for a plan, and no response. I am therefore cutting a check not for OFF but for the NRA Monday as its clear so far there is no plan by OFF and sessions are starting is days. This is going to get ugly folks if there is no leadership in Oregon ???
We need power hitters and the NRA is the only game in town it seems.
Thanks for your generosity for the 2A fight. Politician or Legislative
NRA Political Victory Fund (NRA-PVF)
NRA Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA)

Every year I follow the advice given by Oregon lobbyist, I write, I call, I give testimony and its not enough. If I am a complete idiot myself ( I can get references if you want:rolleyes: ) why is it that Oregon lobbys think calls, testimony, and letters will be enough this year. We need to stop trying to get Oregon lobbys to listen to the big picture and start harassing the NRA for huge help here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top