JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've seen this for few weeks now. At first it was turned over on the side and didn't noticed that it was a gun safe riding along the path. Until today it was turned over. Yukon Gold along Marine drive somewhere along 158th to 135th? Looks like it didn't take much effort to break into this safe.

PXL_20220719_182653671.jpg PXL_20220719_182707667.jpg PXL_20220719_182713392.jpg

Looks like they oxy burned precisely where the pins are. Good reminder to bolt down your safe and/or get a very heavy one.

If that's the "YG 12" model, the internet says it weighs 295 lbs (empty). I used to ride my bike on the path along Marine Drive before other people started permanently camping there, and driving or leaving their stolen cars all along there.

So I'd guess some meth heads stole the safe out of someone's garage, then drove back to their camp along Marine Drive. Opened then dumped it on the path, along with all the other garbage.

A big thanks to the City of Portland, Port of Portland, and Multnomah County for keeping the Marine Drive bike path both clean and family friendly letting the area devolve into what it is today.

(If that safe was dumped along the path while still locked, but the responsible government agency didn't clean up the trash, including that safe, and then someone later broke into it, maybe it's the agency's fault if any firearms fell into the wrong hands.)

A year ago, I was driving along that same stretch of Marine Drive when I noticed a huge plume of black smoke coming from the homeless trash camp down by the City of Portlands emergency water well pumping stations.
Seems that a meth lab must have caught the woods on fire, as the fire just exploded with loud bangs up into the tree tops.
As I pulled over to watch, some goody two shoes called the fire department to soon and they raced up and hosed it down.

If that's the "YG 12" model, the internet says it weighs 295 lbs (empty). I used to ride my bike on the path along Marine Drive before other people started permanently camping there, and driving or leaving their stolen cars all along there.

So I'd guess some meth heads stole the safe out of someone's garage, then drove back to their camp along Marine Drive. Opened then dumped it on the path, along with all the other garbage.

A big thanks to the City of Portland, Port of Portland, and Multnomah County for keeping the Marine Drive bike path both clean and family friendly letting the area devolve into what it is today.

(If that safe was dumped along the path while still locked, but the responsible government agency didn't clean up the trash, including that safe, and then someone later broke into it, maybe it's the agency's fault if any firearms fell into the wrong hands.)
They cleaned it up quite a bit in that certain area. 185th to 135th marine drive. Now all overgrown to keep people from camping and concrete barriers to block cars from entering bike path

295lbs is hardly a safe. Shouldn't be able to have 2 guys pick it up and saunter off with it. Also, I don't know that I want a safe named after a potato. May as well called the brand "russet" because people would have thought it meant "rugged"

Looks like they oxy burned precisely where the pins are. Good reminder to bolt down your safe and/or get a very heavy one.
Yeah, not much prying. Cheap safe where the you can find exactly where the three bolts are located. They could have easily cut through the 12 ga sheet metal also.

Any safe will only slow down a thief, but a better one will slow them down more. Heavier and bolted to the floor, even better.

Light enough for a couple guys to carry, all packed up and ready to go, in the garage, not even bolted down? That'll only slow them down long enough to pick it up and load it into their truck.

Marine Drive is the graveyard for stolen vehicles and gun safes it appears now. Friends work van was stolen, Portland Police barely cared, did take a stolen vehicle report. We drove out to Marine Drive, found the van stripped to the frame.
City of Portland, Port of Portland, and Multnomah County as mentioned before point the fingers at each other to deal with felony flats. Just like the homeless issue in general, "Not our fault, blame..........." Tolerance is enabling the behavior.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top