JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This one has to be embarassing for Costco.

Boy Locked Inside Costco Gun Safe

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- A boy locks himself inside a gun safe inside a Sacramento Costco on Sunday.

Authorities said an 11-year-old boy was playing around and climbed into a safe. The door closed, looking him inside.

Store employees had a tough time getting the door open and that was when firefighters were called to the scene.

"Our initial concern is that he was going to run out of air. So, our crews were ready to drill holes in the safe to give him some air," said Jim Doucette, with Sacramento City Fire Department.

Employees were able to get the safe to open. The boy was not hurt.

Costco said it will either remove the safes from the floor or secure the safes so kids can't do this in the future.

Poor kid is probably claustrophobic now....

I can't even imagine how scared this kid must have been. I think there's plenty of blame to go around. Costco was stupid to have the safe unlocked and open, but where were this kid's parents? A good reminder that kids can get themselves into trouble a lot quicker than you can keep them out of it if you're not watching them.

Too bad, I hope they don't stop selling gun safes. They have a nice safe for 500 here in salem. I'd like to see the promotion of safe usage.

My safe has to be latched from the outside
and would not latch just by closing the door.

its easy to keep kids out of a safe just make sure its full :s0155:

but it does bring up a point though a safe should not be able to be locked from the inside and i don't know of any that do perhaps the parent locked the child in there so they could finish shopping hmmmm.

I expect there was a big brother or sister involved as most safes require a mechanical movement on the out side to secure the lock. Better yet another shopper tired of the kids running unattended through the store decided they would put one of these kids in a safe place.

The safes on display should be locked in the first place. Most quality safes have very heavy doors, that if the safe is not properly secured it will tip over very easily when the door is open. I also don't think that kids should be playing in them, but once again a locked safe would have prevented this.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top