JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Opinion on whether this barrel is safe to shoot? It has some rather large craters in the bore- it's for a 12g trench gun project, so accuracy is not a concern

20230208_141024.jpg 20230208_141014.jpg

Who made the barrel?
If you're planning on adding a heat shield, the three screws that hold the bayonet lug will need to be filed half round into the barrel for the screws to clamp the lug.
The original trench gun barrels didn't have a choke and were thicker walled then normal hunting barrels.

Last Edited:
I would vote "No" to shooting anything more powerful than a gust of wind through that. The cost of a suitable replacement is probably far...far less than the medical bills it could potentially inflict.

Even though 12 ga. produces something on the order of only 11.5K psi, it might still pose a problem. How close to the chamber are the pits? if they are halway along or more, then it might be feasible. I would drop it by a smith for a look and look for a bulged or dented barrel to trim back.

Even though 12 ga. produces something on the order of only 11.5K psi, it might still pose a problem. How close to the chamber are the pits? if they are halway along or more, then it might be feasible. I would drop it by a smith for a look and look for a bulged or dented barrel to trim back.
Along with that... it's purdy difficult to judge from a photo just how deep those pits are.. or rather... how thin the walls are and where along the barrel they are located. They "look" quite significant, but how much is camera angle and lighting/shadows is difficult to see.

If you're dead set on using it, and have the appropriate welding gear, you could do some exploratory drilling through the exterior side into the pits and do a bit of rebuilding.

Otherwise, taking it into a smith may cost more than just shopping around for another more suitable barrel.

If they are fairly far up from the chamber, and the wall thickness is still in the higher percentages... I wouldn't be especially worried about it turning into a death machine. I certainly wouldn't be shooting any slugs out of it though.

If all else is good...or at least restorable on the shotgun...
I would suggest buying a replacement barrel.

From the pictures it looks pretty bad...
However as noted above....it may be just the angle or lighting
Andy

Bungee the gun to a spare tire, tie a string to the trigger, step behind your vehicle and let 'er go a few times with loads appropriate and strong.

...a tried and true method. (I'm still here to tell about it, and so are the guns I did this with.)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top